Kai Tak Terminal transportation (Port Stop)

Ombud

My husband and I were on a cruise that ended in Hong Kong at 7AM earlier this month, and our flight home wasn't until after 10PM.  We used public transportation (buses and trains) to see everything we wanted during that time, and it was cheap, easy, clean, and safe.  I'd hate to see anyone pay $108 (as mentioned previously) for the ship's tour just because they weren't sure they could get around on their own.  

We took a bus from the cruise terminal to the central station, where we each bought an Octopus Card.  It's a prepaid card that allows you access to public transportation, so you buy it at the beginning of your day, and can cash it in at the end of the day to have them refund whatever balance you don't use.  While there are machines to top off cards, we found we had to find the customer service center (a round kiosk) and have a human issue our cards.

I will say that one of our 2 cards scanned as a senior card, the other did not (we didn't know to ask when we purchased them, so we have no idea what determines a "senior" and are still in disagreement as to which of us they thought was older!) and there was a big discrepancy between what the 2 of us were charged each time, so if you think you're eligible for the senior fare, definitely ask! 

As someone else mentioned, the fact that the British were present so recently means that all the signs are in English, so navigating is easier than you might expect.  Not everyone speaks English (or is willing to admit to it) but they're happy to communicate using Google Translate as necessary.  And USD is not accepted most places - we used both credit cards and Hong Kong dollars.

4 hours ago, alwayscruisetime said:

My husband and I were on a cruise that ended in Hong Kong at 7AM earlier this month, and our flight home wasn't until after 10PM.  We used public transportation (buses and trains) to see everything we wanted during that time, and it was cheap, easy, clean, and safe.  I'd hate to see anyone pay $108 (as mentioned previously) for the ship's tour just because they weren't sure they could get around on their own.  

We took a bus from the cruise terminal to the central station, where we each bought an Octopus Card.  It's a prepaid card that allows you access to public transportation, so you buy it at the beginning of your day, and can cash it in at the end of the day to have them refund whatever balance you don't use.  While there are machines to top off cards, we found we had to find the customer service center (a round kiosk) and have a human issue our cards.

I will say that one of our 2 cards scanned as a senior card, the other did not (we didn't know to ask when we purchased them, so we have no idea what determines a "senior" and are still in disagreement as to which of us they thought was older!) and there was a big discrepancy between what the 2 of us were charged each time, so if you think you're eligible for the senior fare, definitely ask! 

As someone else mentioned, the fact that the British were present so recently means that all the signs are in English, so navigating is easier than you might expect.  Not everyone speaks English (or is willing to admit to it) but they're happy to communicate using Google Translate as necessary.  And USD is not accepted most places - we used both credit cards and Hong Kong dollars.

Alternative: purchase a MTR Tourist  Day Pass for HK$65 - unlimited travel on MTR  

https://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/tickets/day_pass_tourist.html