Kai Tak Terminal transportation (Port Stop)

Ombud

Ok I'm stumped. I see loads of free tours but no way to get to them from the ship. Central MTR Station K Exit seems to be a common starting point but Google maps suggests walking 3.1km then taking 2 public transit options just to get to & from a 2 hr walking tour. Is there a better way to get there? About to just book a ships tour

On 8/15/2023 at 4:02 PM, Ombud said:

Ok I'm stumped. I see loads of free tours but no way to get to them from the ship. Central MTR Station K Exit seems to be a common starting point but Google maps suggests walking 3.1km then taking 2 public transit options just to get to & from a 2 hr walking tour. Is there a better way to get there? About to just book a ships tour

Don't take google map as your lifeline. Kai Tak cruise terminal located nowhere near any metro station (closest is 2.5 miles). But there is taxi or business-sponsored free shuttle take you to nearest metro station.  Take the metro "Kwung Tong Line" (towards Whampoa stn), transfer either at "Prince Edward" or "Mong Kok" station to "Tsuen Wan Line" (towards Central stn).
The Centration station  EXIT-K  is Statue Square, at Des Voeux Road Central. Just in front of the HSBC Headquarters building (well known HK landmark).

Edited by monkey@cruise

Thanks. Will try to see how to get to free tours. Its confusing bc this is my 1st trip to Hong Kong.  Sort of confirms that I should do the paid ship excursion for A$108 instead of the free tour. Sometimes you just need to spend that OBC on something other than specialty dining

Edited by Ombud

1 hour ago, monkey@cruise said:

HK government improve the logistics for cruise passengers: For RCL Spectrum OTS HK arrival:

image.thumb.png.bee5031df0eaacb9010baa652c819a05.png

Can you please give me the website link? TY

6 minutes ago, monkey@cruise said:

I was born in HK, so I know the place.

https://www.kaitakcruiseterminal.com.hk/

You can also lookup your cruise arrival schedule from this web site. Lots of Info.

Thank you. I know its Kai Tak cruise terminal & I see that the ferry is RIGHT THERE!! So at least I know how to get to the ferry station & someone said i can see fireworks from there (if they're going). Maybe I can still figure out how to get to : Central MTR Station K Exit

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

Thank you. I know its Kai Tak cruise terminal & I see that the ferry is RIGHT THERE!! So at least I know how to get to the ferry station & someone said i can see fireworks from there (if they're going). Maybe I can still figure out how to get to : Central MTR Station K Exit

Usually Fireworks during Chinese New Year 
Symphony of Lights (Laser show) is staged every night at 8:00 p.m. The best viewing locations of this nightly spectacle are the Tsim Sha Tsui waterfront outside the Hong Kong Cultural Centre and the Avenue of Stars, the promenade at Golden Bauhinia Square in Wanchai, and from sightseeing ferries in the Victoria Harbour.

Hong Kong Metro is built by the British, will hear "Mind The Gap" Message. Overhead signage and station map will direct you to EXIT-K, or look for exit to Hong Kong & Shanghai Bank Corporation Headquarters.  (HSBC Headquarters)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ombud said:

If you sail on RCL Spectrum OTS, free shuttle from Kai Tak  terminal to Tsim Sha Tsui and

Star Ferry cross the harbor to Central district. Or to Peak tram terminus to the Peak ! 

Free shuttle timetable on 19th Aug  for Spectrum OTS (port time: 7am - 6pm)

image.thumb.png.18329804677e1ef31ec460ac2f72108c.png

image.png.d514713861a6dcaabd757f90b02062c1.png

I'm on the Royal Princess next April (yes planning ahead). Are the shuttles operated by the terminal not the cruise line? If so, they should be the same. I like the idea of taking the ferry to the Central District then (I guess) just walk to Central MTR unless all MTRs are connected like just different Bart / metro stations. 

12 hours ago, Ombud said:

I'm on the Royal Princess next April (yes planning ahead). Are the shuttles operated by the terminal not the cruise line? If so, they should be the same. I like the idea of taking the ferry to the Central District then (I guess) just walk to Central MTR unless all MTRs are connected like just different Bart / metro stations. 

When Spectrum OTS first HK arrival in July, it was a totally chaos because lack of transportation arrangements, cruise passengers spent most of the day queuing for transport. It was on the world news, and HK government learned the hard way.

From Star Ferry pier, is a 1 km walk to Central station EXIT-K (elevated walkway from the pier
to Landmard Chater (Chater Road) part. Then walk EAST for 5 min, the K-EXIT is in Statue Square Garden, next to Mandarin Oriental Hotel. There is no EXIT number signage at all MTR entrances (I think worldwide metro entrance also), online Google map shows the EXIT location, or go inside Central stn and follow the direction signage. 

Though I am a Princess regular but I jump ship to Celebrity, Japan sailing next month and Singapore to Japan in March 2024. I will on Sky Princess TA in November.

The shuttle arrangements will be reviewed in December by HK government. I think the shuttle services varies from to ship to ship. If you need info on Japan excursions planning, I already the all the info.

Michael

• Thanks 1

On our port day in Hong Kong December 2018, this was what we did. Not sure if it still works the same way though. HK is an easy port if you know how the MTR works and if all else fail, taxi is easy and not that expensive.

Edited by ROCruiser

Thank you @ROCruiser! I was kinda lost on where Princess' free shuttle went to. I was initially trying to get to Li Yuen East / West, Central Escalator,  and Mo Mann temple.  Free Walking Tour (tips needed) from Central MTR K exit and ships tour are exactly the same!! Except the free tour might visit the murals. 

Now I'm researching Kowloon (temple st night mkt, Kowloon Park,  Tin Hau Temple, and Star Ferry to get to the escalator). 

I love it when ppl who have actually been there give such great info like you and monkey@cruise

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ombud said:

Thank you @ROCruiser! I was kinda lost on where Princess' free shuttle went to. I was initially trying to get to Li Yuen East / West, Central Escalator,  and Mo Mann temple.  Free Walking Tour (tips needed) from Central MTR K exit and ships tour are exactly the same!! Except the free tour might visit the murals. 

Now I'm researching Kowloon (temple st night mkt, Kowloon Park,  Tin Hau Temple, and Star Ferry to get to the escalator). 

I love it when ppl who have actually been there give such great info like you and monkey@cruise

https://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/index.html

https://www.discoverhongkong.com/content/dam/dhk/intl/plan/traveller-info/e-guidebooks/hong-kong-map.pdf

https://www.discoverhongkong.com/content/dam/dhk/intl/plan/traveller-info/e-guidebooks/old-town-central-en.pdf

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Ombud said:

Hi, Ombud. It may be easier to get over to the Central district in the morning using MTR and join the tour. After the tour, you can go to Li Yuen East/West, Escalator, and Man Mo Temple which are all in the same vicinity. Then take the Star Ferry (a must-do in HK), to Kowloon side and see the Avenue of the Stars, Kowloon Park, Temple Street, etc. They are in the Tsim Sha Tsui and Jordan area within a mile or so walking distance or one MTR station away. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/18/2023 at 6:44 PM, Ombud said:

Ideally, if Princess arrange Tsui Sha Tsui free shuttle, only 40 min bus trip from Kai Tak Terminal.  Option either Star Ferry or MTR to cross the harbor to Central. Other cruise terminal free shuttle will drop off at Kung Tong MTR station, takes 35 min (and transfer) to Tsui Sha Tsui.

HK Island:
Li Yuen Street East/West is 5 min walk (west) from MTR Central EXIT-C. Then walk 3 min west to Central Market (Jubliee street)  where the Central-Mid-Levels Escalators (runs from Jubliee up to Robinson Road). To visit Man Mo Temple: exit the Escalator at Staunton Street, walk west along Staunton Street for 5-7 min till YMCA Bridges Street Center and The Church of Christ in China (Bridges Street), walk down the stairs (notable Ladder Street) till Hollywood Road, Man Mo Temple (Hollywood Road) is 50 feet on the right. After Man Mo Temple, continue walk down the Ladder street till Queen's Road Central, cross the road and walk east for 3 min to Hillier Street, (a directional signage for Sheung Wan MTR station) walk along Hillier for 5 min. The A2-EXIT for Sheung Wan MTR station is at Wing Lok St. & Hillier St. Sheung Wan station is Island Line, 1 stop to Central station, option: Star Ferry or MTR (Tsuen Wan Line) crossing the harbor to Kowloon. Temple street is a night market and is a BAD neighborhood. 

@monkey@cruise that makes it sound so simple that even I can do it!! At that point don't even need freetours!

Every site says don't miss Temple St Night Market so I was thinking about taking a ferry there on my way back to the ship, which would be about 3pm. Is it safe then (for a 5'8" single woman)? Or can you recommend a 2nd market nearby that route? Sites say li yuen doesn't have a lot & i will need more flowers as the ones I boarded with will be dying

Yes I use Google maps but will get a map in port 

5 hours ago, Ombud said:

@monkey@cruise that makes it sound so simple that even I can do it!! At that point don't even need freetours!

Every site says don't miss Temple St Night Market so I was thinking about taking a ferry there on my way back to the ship, which would be about 3pm. Is it safe then (for a 5'8" single woman)? Or can you recommend a 2nd market nearby that route? Sites say li yuen doesn't have a lot & i will need more flowers as the ones I boarded with will be dying

Yes I use Google maps but will get a map in port 

HONG KONG was relatively safe before Pandemic and 2019 umbrella  movement. As world economy is collapsing, HK crime rate is getting worst like L.A and S.F. Though no violent crime on tourists, common ones are pick-pockets (like in Barcelona) and fraudulent. Like in any big city, be street smart.! Temple Street Night Market also known as the Men's market, it is famous for having a variety of men's fashion, from clothes to watches to footwear, at an unbelievably cheap price. I think the market starts at 6pm, join a local tour if exploring the night market. Temple street is OK during daytime.

If shop for flowers - flower market located on Flower market Road. if you are a bird lover - bird market is further down. https://www.discoverhongkong.com/ca/interactive-map/flower-market.html
MTR Princes Edward station (Kwun Tong Line, Tsuen Wan Line) EXIT-B1, walk EAST along Prince Edward Road West for 700 feet turn left into Sai Yee St., after 100 feet the flower market is on your right.

All the attractions you like to go are safe and can be DIY except Temple Street. Man Mo Temple is the oldest temple in HK, is a legend icon. I found English is not widely spoken after reverted to China.

If you like to explore HK markets, The central market next to Jubliee escalator

https://www.centralmarket.hk/en

Have you been to HK Victoria Peak? Viewing HK Island and Kowloon peninsular? 

Using Google Maps and Earth View do your preliminary virtual HK tour and see if the

itinerary suit you.

This is my 1st time to Hong Kong and I've only got a day. I was supposed to start a Hong Kong to Sydney cruise there in September 2020 but the world shut down. I've decided to read up so reserved the libraries Lonely Planet book because it'll be a while before I get back. 

Yes Google map is my friend but it is often wrong about San Francisco CA so anticipating errors about Hong Kong as well

HONG KONG is now a concrete jungle, with population over 7 million. Your port time is excellent from 7am - 10pm.

HONG KONG Harbor Laser show at 8pm
https://www.tourism.gov.hk/symphony/english/details/details.html
In additional to Star Ferry, another HK classic is Hong Kong Tramways -- Ding Ding (like cable cars in SF)  https://www.hktramways.com/
Victoria Peak is also a must do: https://www.thepeak.com.hk/en
If first visit to Hong Kong, give yourself extra time, do the HK island itinerary first, then Kowloon side, worst case scenario, hop on a Kowloon taxi back to cruise terminal is 15-20 min from Tsim Sha Tsui.
In additional to Lonely Planet book, DK Eyewitness Hong Kong is one of my travel guidebooks.
https://www.google.ca/books/edition/Top_10_Hong_Kong/LaD9DAAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&printsec=frontcover

I upload port maps and info (in PDF format) onto my iPAD, is handy for travel info lookup.

• Thanks 1

On 8/15/2023 at 10:02 PM, Ombud said:

As of this week..

Hong Kong...after the fiasco/debacle on the previous sailing...the government learned, reacted, and truly made a brilliant correction.  Our second Hong Kong experience was truly remarkable

Edited by little britain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, little britain said:

s of this week..

Hong Kong...after the fiasco/debacle on the previous sailing...the government learned, reacted, and truly made a brilliant correction.  Our second Hong Kong experience was truly remarkable

The later transportation arrangement was sponsored by HK government and overkilled, there already an outcry by HK tax payers. Eventually will be Kai Tai cruise terminal Corp and cruise companies footing the shuttle bills, so there will be scaleback.  Tourist arrive at HK airport can purchase the MTR day pass for HK $65, but not available for cruise arrival.

4 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

The later transportation arrangement was sponsored by HK government and overkilled, there already an outcry by HK tax payers. Eventually will be Kai Tai cruise terminal Corp and cruise companies footing the shuttle bills, so there will be scaleback.  Tourist arrive at HK airport can purchase the MTR day pass for HK $65, but not available for cruise arrival.

Online it states taxis to Mo Mann Temple (i had to pick a spot) are:Screenshot_20230822-141210_Rome2Rio.thumb.jpg.f158de8d2bd46981718421d64ed85b58.jpg

so $38-46 usd round trip. All day MTR for HK65 ($8.50 usd) would be a bargain!! And no, not walking

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

Online it states taxis to Mo Mann Temple (i had to pick a spot) are:Screenshot_20230822-141210_Rome2Rio.thumb.jpg.f158de8d2bd46981718421d64ed85b58.jpg

so $38-46 usd round trip. All day MTR for HK65 ($8.50 usd) would be a bargain!! And no, not walking

https://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/tourist/index.html
https://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/tickets/day_pass_tourist.html

Update: 

Sales Outlets == All Customer Service Centres of MTR stations (except Lo Wu, Lok Ma Chau, Racecourse stations and Light Rail Customer Service Centres)

Take the cruise terminal free shuttle to TST, Kai Tak or Kung Tong MTR station.  Show you passport as tourist to Customer Service Center staff, and paid HK $65 for the day pass. 

Michael

taxis will be charged HK$25 to use either three harbor tunnel crossings, 
local always avoid using taxi to cross the harbor

This is a game changer .... that, your info, and VISIT A CITY app. I canceled the shore excursion.  Thank you -- I'll still spend the money there, just on lunch & afternoon tea instead