Gate 1 Seine River Cruise... any thoughts and experiences to share?

walkingabout

Hello -

We are dreaming about the Gate 1 Seine cruise for next fall.

Roughly 5-6 years ago had very nice experiences with Gate 1 on both the Rhine and Danube.. although we much preferred the Danube. The crew and ship were perfectly fine on both trips.

We are thinking about skipping the Normandy Beach tour... not sure yet, but is there enough to do in and around Caudebec-en-Caux?

Has the Seine travel been hindered by high/low water in recent years?

Do the river cruises generally travel at night or day on the Seine? The trip on the Danube traveled in the evening at it was nice to be somewhere new in the morning.

Also, do you know where the river cruise ships port/dock along the Seine in Paris?

My apologies if this topic is elsewhere on the forum, I searched but didn't find anything.

thanks advance!

I had a wonderful trip on the Seine this past May. There was no mention of water level problems so I don't know if that's an issue at other times of the year.

I skipped the Normandy excursion because I had been there a couple of years ago. I heard it was very moving and they organized a special service. We were docked in Rouen for two nights as the base for Normandy and enjoyed the extra free time there. I know nothing about Caudebec.

We sailed at all different times. One night we sailed for a couple of hours, docked somewhere for a short time (we weren't allowed off), then continued to our destination. The distances aren't that great and we had to kill time and not arrive too early. The Seine was much more scenic than I expected.

In Paris, the dock is down the road from the Eiffel Tower. I'm usually fine with public transportation, but this one time I was really happy for the airport transfer.

Paris is hosting the Olympics next year and there was lots of construction and traffic in the city. The bus tour on the last day was probably the only disappointment.

I'm glad to know you liked the Danube. I'm in the process of planning that right now.

Edited by SnowshoeCat
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Canal archive said:

My DH really enjoyed his bike tour around Caudubec very interesting with a visit to the Victor Hugo museum. The Seine is beautiful you cannot go far wrong.

Thanks!

We've explored the highlights of Paris and may want to swap the Gate 1 Paris tour for another activity. I will definitely ask Gate 1 once we get a little more firm with our plans. thanks again!

• 7 months later...

We just booked this for April 14, 2025 (with the tour of Amsterdam and Bruge) and started a roll call.  We booked one of the 4 suites on the Monarch Countess.  I can't seem to find any reviews of these suites.  Does anyone here have any thoughts?  They are listed as "suites," but they are not overly large and I don't think they come with any special services (as do suites on most cruise lines).  My wife is disappointed that they don't have bathtubs.

16 hours ago, RonWL said:

We just booked this for April 14, 2025 (with the tour of Amsterdam and Bruge) and started a roll call.  We booked one of the 4 suites on the Monarch Countess.  I can't seem to find any reviews of these suites.  Does anyone here have any thoughts?  They are listed as "suites," but they are not overly large and I don't think they come with any special services (as do suites on most cruise lines).  My wife is disappointed that they don't have bathtubs.

We took a Gate 1 river cruise last year.  While we were not is a suite, there was never any indication that anything extra came with the suite.  This included marketing materials, reading reviews, and being on the cruise.  

5 minutes ago, JordanF said:

[T]here was never any indication that anything extra came with the suite. 

Didn't think so.  Guess we'll find out in April🙄.