Help - how many meals do I have?

Sigyn

There are three of us traveling - my husband and myself and our teenager. I bought the Free at Sea Plus package. I've attached the screenshot below of the specialty meals we had with Free at Sea, and now what we have with Free at Sea Plus. So does this mean that my husband and I each have two specialty meals? I got it wrong on our December cruise when I bought what I thought was the equivalent number of meals for our son, so I want to make sure I do it right this time. 

Thanks!

Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 7.28.23 PM.png

I believe you and your husband each have four meals.  Your son has none.  The FAS only applies to the first two in the cabin.  The third passenger in the cabin would have to buy a meal package to join you in the specialty restaurants.  They are not transferable.  At least that’s how I think it works.  I’ve never bought the FAS+ package.

The number of meals varies based on the category of room you select and length of your cruise. Here's a chart that'll help you determine the number you and your husband (not your son) will receive:

image.png.67c8cb3d99e10b82ea3c496929e106db.png

Source: https://www.ncl.com/about/terms-and-conditions/promotions

As for Free at Sea Plus, you and your husband will receive two additional meals, on top of whatever you receive from the above chart. Your son still receives zero meals.

You can purchase the specialty dining package, for a certain number of nights, for your son. You may have to call to do this as you might not see all the options since you went for Free at Sea Plus. I'm guessing since your son is a teenager he has a good appetite and can pack a lot of food in. If not, you may want to review the menus to see if it makes sense getting the dining package for him. 

I can't wait to hear all about your cruise! 

EDITED TO ADD: I just saw that the screenshot above is showing you and your husband have two meals as part of the regular Free at Sea....so yep, four meals total for you and your husband only. Still none for your son.

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Thanks 1

I bought the four meal package for my son so that he has four meals to eat with us. He'll be 16 when we cruise so yes, he can eat a lot! We're in the Haven, so we have their restaurant to dine in as our non-specialty meal nights. It will be quite the foodie trip!

Edited by Sigyn
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sigyn said:

I bought the four meal package for my son so that he has four meals to eat with us. He'll be 16 when we cruise so yes, he can eat a lot! We're in the Haven, so we have their restaurant to dine in as our non-specialty meal nights. It will be quite the foodie trip!

Very nice! Sounds like y'all will have an equal number of meals too. Y'all are going to love Joy! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hawkeyetlse said:

Also, double check that your son is really listed as guest #3 on your booking. It would really mess things up otherwise!

He is. Thanks for the reminder!

the reason I couldn't remember how many extra meals we have with the packages is because, despite having the very same thing in December, NCL screwed up and didn't apply my son's meal package to his account, and I had to visit guest relations three times over three days before they applied it, so they they comped him one of his specialty restaurant meals, and we had that one as an extra, so we used it at Food Republic and were able to get enough for the three of us to eat dinner with just the one meal. (Food Republic is awesome!) But that totally threw me off. 

Edited by Sigyn
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sigyn said:

I, personally, would not buy the FAS Plus if you are in the Haven. In fact, when we are in the Haven, we often don't take the FAS meals (we didn't accept the FAS offer on our upcoming Haven cruise). You have paid a lot of money for the Haven restaurant and should consider eating there. 

27 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

I, personally, would not buy the FAS Plus if you are in the Haven. In fact, when we are in the Haven, we often don't take the FAS meals (we didn't accept the FAS offer on our upcoming Haven cruise). You have paid a lot of money for the Haven restaurant and should consider eating there. 

I tend to agree with this.  It may be worth it if you like high end drinks, but I wouldn’t do it for the meals, and certainly wouldn’t buy an extra meal package.  The food in the Haven Restaurant is better than anything else on the ship.  We do the FAS meals to “shake it up” a bit, but we are usually on longer trips.  If this is a seven night cruise you will only have three nights in the Haven restaurant.  That’s not enough.  😂

We did purchase the additional two meal specialty dining package on our March cruise which was seven days. This was a Haven cruise, as well. We used one (each) of the meals at Food Republic for lunch which was a compromise between my husband and I as I wanted at least one additional dinner in the Haven Restaurant. This is one reason I was hoping Food Republic would be open sea day lunch time on our Pr1ma sailing, but alas, it won't. 

I would resist purchasing any additional meals on a seven day cruise. Our upcoming Haven cruise is an eleven day cruise on Pr1ma. We did purchase the two meal specialty dining package and I think it's a good choice given nine meals in the Haven Restaurant would be a lot. The only thing I'm worried about is having Indulge and Hudson's. I've heard great things about Indulge and I just want to try Hudson's for a meal, because of how beautiful that dining room view is. Perhaps we'll wander there for a lunch. 

But, I do agree with @BirdTravels and @Russiamomm that on a seven day cruise, four specialty dining meals is a lot. But hey, you know your family more and what they would like. 

Edited by cruiseny4life

14 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

13 hours ago, Russiamomm said:

I tend to agree with this.  It may be worth it if you like high end drinks, but I wouldn’t do it for the meals, and certainly wouldn’t buy an extra meal package.  The food in the Haven Restaurant is better than anything else on the ship.  We do the FAS meals to “shake it up” a bit, but we are usually on longer trips.  If this is a seven night cruise you will only have three nights in the Haven restaurant.  That’s not enough.  😂

Excellent point, but I'm not doing it for the extra meals. I'm doing it for the better drinks and the upgraded Wi-Fi and the $50 off the second person on excursions. I paid $686 for FAS Plus and I've already saved $100 on the two excursions I booked immediately afterward, and so that means I paid $586 for the upgraded WiFi and the better drinks and we get the two extra meals each as part of it, which we will enjoy even though it wasn't necessary. Not cheap, but reasonable enough for me. We like getting Starbucks each morning on the ship and my husband is a big fan of certain red wines and bourbons. I've also heard you can only get Vueve in Le Bistro, so we can eat there a couple of times so I can get my fix. 

Edited by Sigyn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1