QM2 English National Ballet

DaisyUK

20 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

The big show is tonight, so best wait until tomorrow for the review.

We went to one of their rehearsals. Only six dancers.

Personally. I wasn't sure it lived up to all the hype.

As a huge dance fan [ballet gave me up when I preferred going out to practising] I look forward to the report.

• Like 1

Hello!!   I just returned from the ballet crossing today.  I am a long-time balletomane and booked this crossing mostly because of the ENGLISH NATIONAL BALLET which is the second time they have been on.  The first in 2019.  I attended many of the classes held for passengers conducted by staffers from company, (Kate and Janna) attended rehearsals by the company of six dancers and two of the performances in the Royal Court Theater.   They were all repeats FYI.  In addition, I attended the interview session conducted by Amanda Reid of four of the dancers. 

As before, I was emotionally spent after watching the thrilling performances of these great gifted. Dancers.  They are truly unforgettable and so young!   A real plus was how approachable they all were especially Miguel and Ivanna.   I can promise you will not be disappointed and the packed in audiences as reflected in the heavy applause will agree.  The bad news is that Amanda Reid is not sure when they will be back.  She is quite aware how popular this special crossing was.  

One last note:  Obviously due to the limitations of the stage you will not see the entire company of about 65 dancers.  

All the best.

Deck Chair.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Deck Chair - thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. You clearly enjoyed the dancers enormously; it sounds like the performances were outstanding. I have been in touch with Cunard over the last few months to try and find out whether ENB will be returning next year and have not received a firm yes/no which concurs with what you are saying😞

I am glad deck chair enjoyed it so much.

I too was on the crossing. I thought it was underwhelming. The classes and workshops didn’t interest me but I heard a lot of disgruntled people complaining they were booked up within minutes and so were unable to participate. I too went  to the chat session and watched a class and rehearsal. The afternoon matinee certainly had plenty of spaces so at least everyone who wanted to see it were able to . I even spotted a few seats on the first night show too. I would have expected from all the hype to have seen more dancers and at least two different shows. I cannot fault the quality of the performances I did see. I don’t think I would have wanted to pay a premium for this crossing. On the whole the quality of the evening entertainment was good and some of the speakers were the most interesting I have heard for a while. 

We're still on board. I must agree with Winifred 22.

One lady spent 20 minutes complaining to the Concierge that she only got one workshop session and she had tried to book every one. She thought the APP must be broken.Over and over again, it was explained to her that it was ENB who were responsible and they set the max numbedrs at 30 in a first come basis, but she would not accept that as she had only booked the crossing because she wanted to participate.

I lost count how many times the concierge politely explained that there was nothing he could do, so she demanded that her complaint be escalated to Carnival HO.

Just when I thought it was all over, her husband chimed in with the same complaint and he wouldn't accept the explanation either. It went on and on and on....

The poor conciege deserved a medal for keeping his cool.

BTW she was over 70 and I can't imagine her pirouetting.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

I am glad deck chair enjoyed it so much.

I too was on the crossing. I thought it was underwhelming. The classes and workshops didn’t interest me but I heard a lot of disgruntled people complaining they were booked up within minutes and so were unable to participate. I too went  to the chat session and watched a class and rehearsal. The afternoon matinee certainly had plenty of spaces so at least everyone who wanted to see it were able to . I even spotted a few seats on the first night show too. I would have expected from all the hype to have seen more dancers and at least two different shows. I cannot fault the quality of the performances I did see. I don’t think I would have wanted to pay a premium for this crossing. On the whole the quality of the evening entertainment was good and some of the speakers were the most interesting I have heard for a while. 

Hello!!  Some points:  I I mean this as a general response but not to one post in particular, so I apologize for any confusion.

One must understand the size of the stage limits the number of dancers. Dancers must have sufficient t room in which to move.  The Queen Mary is not the Kennedy Center! The company has approximately 65 dancers in all.  Given all the deep preparation and rehearsal time it requires to produce a program there is only such much you can do on a crossing with six dancers.  One must have reasonable expectations.  There is also a budget to consider. I attended the first night's performance and there were longs lines to get in on both sides of both levels.  I was just fortunate to not have to sit behind a tall person who would have blocked my view.  Of course, I was there to see the performance not count how many empty seats there may have been. Given the lines it is hard to imagine there were more than a handful probably in the least desirable seats.   What was annoying was not opening the doors until 30 minutes before the performance causing these lines to build.  Was that Amanda Reid's decision? I noted for the matinee the doors opened 45 minutes prior. I also attended the matinee (A repeat.) which to my eye appeared almost equally as popular perhaps because the weather was less than outstanding the final day of the crossing.  And most importantly, the brilliant dancers inspired these great attendance levels.  

I attended (Along with many other observers) all the morning workshops conducted by Jenna Lee and Kate Hatrley-Stevens of the ENB.  Both are vibrant enthusiastic teachers and related well the passengers attending.  I could tell the passengers really liked them.  The teachers inspired confidence and dreams. In addition, the ENB pianist Julia Richter played wonderfully as she accompanied the students. While I did not count the number of participants, the classes appeared to be well subscribed although seemed to dwindle a bit in numbers as the crossing unfolded.  I did notice some passengers participating in the classes off to the side of the Queens Room independent of the others.  Everyone seemed to be having fun.  A wide range of ages.  I especially enjoyed watching the young passengers out on the floor no doubt with dreams of being another Gelsey Kirkland.

Because I had no interest in actually taking classes, I was not aware of the requirement for signing up.  No doubt some passengers missed the sign-ups, or there were computer glitches, or were late to the process.  This is what I do know:    You don't complain to some poor soul at the purser's desk.  You don't make a scene about contacting CCL.  You don't make a fool of yourself. A person could have easily approached the two controlling teachers and asked to be let in.  Chances are they would let you in.  And if they couldn't for whatever reason then its reminder life is unfair and good luck the next time the ENB is on.  

Finally, I make it a point to talk to many passengers and crew members when I sail on the Queen Mary.  I didn't hear one complaint from anyone about not being able to get into one of the workshops.  No doubt, there were some complaints, but this was not an issue sweeping the ship!

Be well.

Deck Chair.

Edited by deck chair
clarification.
  • Like 6