Athens 2-Day POST Cruise Extension

TayanaLorna

For those who have done this Extension in Athens, can you tell me what time.Viking transfers you to the pre cruise hotel (Marriott)?  Hotel, breakfast and transfers are included in the extension but no excursions.  Does Viking offer any paid excursions on Day 1 (disembarkation) either with pick up at the ship or the hotel?  Or do they offer any paid excursions on Day 2 from the hotel?  It has been our experience that paid excursions are offered but we have never learned about them until we get to the hotel and talk to the Viking staff working there.

We are booked to do this two day post extension in Feb. 2025. I will let you know. 😂

Seriously, I expect Viking to do something with passengers on disembarkation day because  check in into hotel isn't t until afternoon. 

We did  2 day post extension in Barcelona ;and again in Copenhagen this past June. On disembarkation day, we got a nice bus tour overview of Barcelona with  at least three photo stops before we got to the hotel We had a guide on board. 

In Copenhagen we had a two hr waking tour  which started at our post hotel  and then returned to hotel. Our rooms were ready around 2pm.

I expect the Athens 2 day post extension will follow one of the above options. On day two we only had a the Viking rep in lobby to guide us with maps etc about what we wanted to do, no organized tours.

Edited by Azulann

2 hours ago, Azulann said:

We are booked to do this two day post extension in Feb. 2025. I will let you know. 😂

Seriously, I expect Viking to do something with passengers on disembarkation day because  check in into hotel isn't t until afternoon. 

We did  2 day post extension in Barcelona ;and again in Copenhagen this past June. On disembarkation day, we got a nice bus tour overview of Barcelona with  at least three photo stops before we got to the hotel We had a guide on board. 

In Copenhagen we had a two hr waking tour  which started at our post hotel  and then returned to hotel. Our rooms were ready around 2pm.

I expect the Athens 2 day post extension will follow one of the above options. On day two we only had a the Viking rep in lobby to guide us with maps etc about what we wanted to do, no organized tours.

If it's like the 4-day extension we did, you'll visit the Acropolis and Acropolis museum when you leave the ship in the morning, then check into the hotel after lunch sometime. 

• Thanks 1

I don’t know about the 2 day, strongly urge you to do the 4 day if time and finances allow. Best value of any we’ve seen. Jam packed with excellent excursions and 1 day free to create your own. Highly recommend it and Kostas from George’s Taxi for creating your own plan on the free day.

17 hours ago, Azulann said:

Could you tell us what hotel was used in Barcelona. Viking has given us a cost for the two night extension, but it does not identify the hotel. I realize the hotel used in the future might be different but it would help us know what type hotel they utilize.

thanks

1 hour ago, Hazel52 said:

I don’t know about the 2 day, strongly urge you to do the 4 day if time and finances allow. Best value of any we’ve seen. Jam packed with excellent excursions and 1 day free to create your own. Highly recommend it and Kostas from George’s Taxi for creating your own plan on the free day.

I totally agree; we had a great time on all the excursions. Delphi and Mycenae were both incredible, the Acropolis was of course fantastic to see, and the Acropolis Museum is the best archaeological museum I've ever visited. 

If you have some free time, you should consider visiting the Plaka district (old part of Athens), find your way to the fish and meat market, which is fascinating to see--like nothing we'd ever seen here in the US.

53 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

Could you tell us what hotel was used in Barcelona. Viking has given us a cost for the two night extension, but it does not identify the hotel. I realize the hotel used in the future might be different but it would help us know what type hotel they utilize.

thanks

Viking uses the Nobu in Barcelona. It’s right next to the train station. 

Here is my posting about the Barcelona extension 

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

1 hour ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Viking uses the Nobu in Barcelona. It’s right next to the train station. 

Here is my posting about the Barcelona extension 

Thank you so much for the link. That was all the information we wanted. Perfect!

Thanks Again

4 hours ago, Hazel52 said:

I have been to Athens twice before. It will be  my sister's first time for  Greece.I do need to visit the Acropolis museum. It was closed the day I was there during a previous cruise.

We plan to fly in two days early and book our own hotel. Do some private  tours , then board ship for cruise and then do post two day extension with Viking. 

Thanks for the tip about Kostas  from George Taxi.