Hurricane Hillary... We're departing from San Pedro, CA Monday Aug. 21

Rusty_lock

Does anyone have any thoughts on the likelihood of us having problems boarding Navigator of the Seas Monday morning.  Flights won't be an issue.  Our group is driving in from two directions Monday morning, Palm Springs and Fresno.

Source: NWS

Friday

• Hilary is gaining strength off the Baja California coast.

• The storm is expected to make landfall on the southern tip of Baja at 8 p.m.

Saturday

• Baja California will continue to be pounded by Hilary as the storm moves north over the peninsula.

• In Southern California, there is a chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after noon. Showers are likely and a thunderstorm is possible after midnight.

Sunday

• Hilary is expected to reach Tijuana before crossing into San Diego by evening.

• In Southern California, showers are likely and thunderstorms are possible. The storm could produce heavy rainfall in some areas. High temperatures will top out near 79 degrees. Northeast winds from 5 to 10 mph will increase to 15 to 20 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 30 mph. The chance of precipitation is 80%.

Monday

• Showers are likely and a thunderstorm is possible before noon, diminishing after noon. Skies will be cloudy, with a high near 73 .

• Flash flooding, high surf and damaging winds are possible.

19 hours ago, Rusty_lock said:

Does anyone have any thoughts on the likelihood of us having problems boarding Navigator of the Seas Monday morning.  Flights won't be an issue.  Our group is driving in from two directions Monday morning, Palm Springs and Fresno.

I don't know if you are on the Catalina Island itinerary or not, but it is specifically mentioned:

Coastal areas

• High surf (5-9 feet)

• Strong winds

• Dangerous rip currents

• Coastal flooding/beach erosion

• Dangerous conditions for south- and southeast-facing harbors

• Catalina Island could be affected

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Coralc said:

I don't know if you are on the Catalina Island itinerary or not, but it is specifically mentioned:

Coastal areas

• High surf (5-9 feet)

• Strong winds

• Dangerous rip currents

• Coastal flooding/beach erosion

• Dangerous conditions for south- and southeast-facing harbors

• Catalina Island could be affected

Yeah we are going to Catalina but I think we'll be clear of the storm by then.  We arrive at Catalina on Wednesday.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dizzlepop said:

Wondering the same for us on Carnival; we leave tomorrow. Haven’t heard a word from Carnival! 

I got an email from Royal basically saying we are watching things but don't expect a change.

image.thumb.png.eaf715c865173386477f1480f747d70c.png

I'm curious about the "Chief Meteorologist" comment.  I hadn't heard that they hired a new one yet.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Source: NWS

Friday

• Hilary is gaining strength off the Baja California coast.

• The storm is expected to make landfall on the southern tip of Baja at 8 p.m.

Saturday

• Baja California will continue to be pounded by Hilary as the storm moves north over the peninsula.

• In Southern California, there is a chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after noon. Showers are likely and a thunderstorm is possible after midnight.

Sunday

• Hilary is expected to reach Tijuana before crossing into San Diego by evening.

• In Southern California, showers are likely and thunderstorms are possible. The storm could produce heavy rainfall in some areas. High temperatures will top out near 79 degrees. Northeast winds from 5 to 10 mph will increase to 15 to 20 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 30 mph. The chance of precipitation is 80%.

Monday

• Showers are likely and a thunderstorm is possible before noon, diminishing after noon. Skies will be cloudy, with a high near 73 .

• Flash flooding, high surf and damaging winds are possible.

That's pretty good sounding forecast I think.

Edited by Rusty_lock

We're driving from Phoenix Sunday night and are going to stop overnight just outside Palm Springs (Cathedral City). Monday morning my Grandkids are being driven by DD from just north of Fresno to Santa Clarita.  I'll switch passengers with her there.  DW will join DD and head north and I'll take the kids and head to San Pedro.  Hopefully it all goes according to plan.  🙂 Thanks to @Coralc for the updates.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rusty_lock said:

I got an email from Royal basically saying we are watching things but don't expect a change.

(snip)

I'm curious about the "Chief Meteorologist" comment.  I hadn't heard that they hired a new one yet.  

I hadn't either.  I enjoyed Mr. Van Fleet and his weather-related Tweets and videos.

BTW, thanks for the email.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rusty_lock said:

That's pretty good sounding forecast I think.

I agree, it doesn't sound too bad. Enjoy your cruise! ☺️ And if it blows through, it should be nice after that.

Edited by Coralc
  • Thanks 1