Costa Maya tours: Which Ruins tour?

GMIAC

In the Costa Maya port, there's a choice of the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins tour (4 hours) and the Kohunlich Mayan Ruins tour (7 hours). How to decide which one? What's the difference (besides location and length) between the two? I don't know which one to choose.

Any insights?

2 hours ago, GMIAC said:

In the Costa Maya port, there's a choice of the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins tour (4 hours) and the Kohunlich Mayan Ruins tour (7 hours). How to decide which one? What's the difference (besides location and length) between the two? I don't know which one to choose.

Any insights?

We had a great guide for the Chacchoben Ruins tour, and enjoyed it immensely. I'm pretty sure we chose it because it was a shorter bus ride :-).  It looks like 5 hrs on the bus round trip to Kohunlich, and that's a loooong bus ride for the about the same amount of time at the site.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RELS said:

We had a great guide for the Chacchoben Ruins tour, and enjoyed it immensely. I'm pretty sure we chose it because it was a shorter bus ride :-).  It looks like 5 hrs on the bus round trip to Kohunlich, and that's a loooong bus ride for the about the same amount of time at the site.

That's what I was wondering, if the difference in tours was the length of the bus ride. They're clearly two different sites, and It'd be nice to know more about the differences, 

9 minutes ago, GMIAC said:

That's what I was wondering, if the difference in tours was the length of the bus ride. They're clearly two different sites, and It'd be nice to know more about the differences, 

I was able to see images of both sites with a web search. That might give you some idea.

• Like 1

Kohunlich Mayan Ruins is famous for its temple of masks but other than that they are similar.  Personally I wouldn't want all the extra time on the bus.  (I live in Belize, most of the year and if you have seen one, you've seen them all!  Just my opinion, having been to many.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think I read last Christmas that one was 2 hours on a bus and other was 5 hours on the bus for two hours at the site. That alone would make my choice as it is hot and humid there and the buses are sometimes not be best as far as AC is concerned. We have been to many of the ruins many times over the last 49 years. All the ruins are interesting especially if you have never seen any of them.

Last Christmas we didn’t even get off the ship it was so hot, but as I say we have been to many of the ruins.

5 minutes ago, cwn said:

IAll the ruins are interesting especially if you have never seen any of them.

I’ve never been to The Ruins, but I see the ruins (lowercase) every time I look in the mirror. 🤓

Thanks for the info. 

I have been to both on Regent excursions. As mentioned, Kohunlich has the temple of masks, but otherwise they are very similar, and I would choose the one with the shorter bus ride.

• Thanks 1