TA?

kmcgann21

Total amateur question… when you all refer to TAs, are you talking about a 3rd party agent or an Oceania rep? I have an Oceania rep assigned to me that we ask questions of frequently. Is using a 3rd party better? This will be my 3rd cruise with them but the first two times were through an agent for an alumni trip. Was just reading the thread about incentives back from the TA but guessing those are through 3rd parties. Thanks! 

Welcome kmcgann21.  

For the most part people who say they use a TA mean a private travel agent, not an Oceania representative.  Posting would indicate that many, perhaps the majority of O cruisers do book direct but I think you will find most posters here will advise you to use a TA, but only if you can find a good one who specializes in premium/luxury cruises and preferably one who specializes in O.  

Many threads about the pros and cons to find but at the end of the day, a good TA can arrange for some bonuses like free gratuities, OBC, a percentage of cruise fare back.  More importantly we believe is their knowledge and ability to go to bat for you if any issues arise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If I’m more than 30 days out from booking (but a year out from the cruise), does it make any sense to cancel and rebook? I guess there’s a possibility of losing my room and the Oceania rep has been great to me but hard to pass up if I can find rebates through a TA. I’m in a suite so it’s an expensive cruise to begin with. I’m also on O Life so would have to weigh that against SM. 

Posters also use "TA" to denote a trans-Atlantic crossing (as in "I was on a TA when...."), though not as often because not as many take those longer sea voyages.  So, one must first deduce the context in order to know the meaning.  😎

Edited by DrHemlock
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Woofa said:

Welcome kmcgann21.  

For the most part people who say they use a TA mean a private travel agent, not an Oceania representative.  Posting would indicate that many, perhaps the majority of O cruisers do book direct but I think you will find most posters here will advise you to use a TA, but only if you can find a good one who specializes in premium/luxury cruises and preferably one who specializes in O.  

Many threads about the pros and cons to find but at the end of the day, a good TA can arrange for some bonuses like free gratuities, OBC, a percentage of cruise fare back.  More importantly we believe is their knowledge and ability to go to bat for you if any issues arise.

As an example of what Woofa said, my wife and received a $1,300 rebate from our travel agent for our recent Oceania cruise.  We would not have received that if we booked directly  with the cruise line.  How can travel agents give perks?  They get a commission from Oceania and share part of that with their client.  

As to your question about transferring your booking to a TA:  That is done all the time where people first book directly with Oceania and then have it transferred to their TA.  I have done that myself when I did not want to take the chance that my desired cabin would be taken in the lag time.  But there can be time restrictions as to how long you have to transfer a booking.   Don’t cancel your booking yourself.  Settle on the TA  you want to use and then talk to them about whether they can transfer the booking.   We are not allowed to recommend specific TA’s on Cruise Critic.  But try to find a TA whose company is in the top tier of Oceania bookings as they will get the largest rebate.  The TA will be able to tell you if they are a preferred agency or you can do a google search.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woodrowst said:

But there can be time restrictions as to how long you have to transfer a booking.   Don’t cancel your booking yourself.  Settle on the TA  you want to use and then talk to them about whether they can transfer the booking.  

I think they said they're past 30 days, so cancelling would be the only option. 

1 hour ago, ORV said:

I think they said they're past 30 days, so cancelling would be the only option. 

I would let my TA do the cancellation/rebooking so that things went smoothly and I did not inadvertently lose my cabin by trying to do it myself.

• Like 1

For twenty-five years, I managed a mid-sized travel agency specializing in luxury tours and cruises.  I have been retired for eight years. The agency I worked for was sold to another company, no longer in business.  I use a travel agency.  I research, book, watch for price decreases, and plan my airline travel.  I opted to go with a Virtuoso Agency as they have tremendous clout in the travel industry.  When I was interviewing agencies, I was upfront about looking for perks.  The current changes in the travel industry have made travel agents more valuable than ever.