Non HAL overnight land tour mid-cruise

Wayfairers

For the first time we will be leaving the ship for a land tour this fall and rejoining the cruise a few days later.  I’m curious about how the whole process works.  We already have the HAL deviation approval letter and I know we will need to take our passport with us.

Do you need to do anything before leaving the ship or tell anyone you are leaving for a few days?

What happens when you board the ship after being onshore for a few days?  Do you have to check in anywhere or do you just scan your keycard as you walk back on like after a day in port? 

Good to let your room stewards and dining steward know ahead of time.

We have left the ship on both private and shore excursions mid-cruise.  I don't remember anything extra was required besides the HAL official pre-permission and notice to the front desk. All of which handled by the shore excursion staff, unless you are doing this on your own. 

We did a wonderful two-day train jaunt around Holland once on the Rotterdam port overnight on the full Voyage of the Vikings - no bed checks on that one necessary - you were free to come and go as you wished.  But still good to let the ship know in case you don't make it back.

Another one in French Polynesia where we arranged to leave the ship in Papeete and rejoin it the next day in Mooera. Fun to watch the ship come into Moorea on the horizon from our over-water bungalow the following morning.

30 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Good to let your room stewards and dining steward know ahead of time.

We have left the ship on both private and shore excursions mid-cruise.  I don't remember anything extra was required besides the HAL official pre-permission and notice to the front desk. All of which handled by the shore excursion staff, unless you are doing this on your own. 

We did a wonderful two-day train jaunt around Holland once on the Rotterdam port overnight on the full Voyage of the Vikings - no bed checks on that one necessary - you were free to come and go as you wished.  But still good to let the ship know in case you don't make it back.

Another one in French Polynesia where we arranged to leave the ship in Papeete and rejoin it the next day in Mooera. Fun to watch the ship come into Moorea on the horizon from our over-water bungalow the following morning.

Thanks!  Telling the room stewards is a good idea so they don’t wonder where we are if the ship doesn’t notify them.  

• Like 1

You should notify the front desk a day or two before it happens.  Once my DW left the ship in Keelung to stay a few days with family and rejoin in Hong Kong.  The ship arranged with local authorities for a customs check when she disembarked.  When she arrived in HK, she needed a new key card to embark.  Also, they didn't charge her gratuities for the days she was not on board.  Incidentally, I stayed on board and met her at the airport in HK when she returned.  All in all it worked out well.

Ray

18 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

You should notify the front desk a day or two before it happens.  Once my DW left the ship in Keelung to stay a few days with family and rejoin in Hong Kong.  The ship arranged with local authorities for a customs check when she disembarked.  When she arrived in HK, she needed a new key card to embark.  Also, they didn't charge her gratuities for the days she was not on board.  Incidentally, I stayed on board and met her at the airport in HK when she returned.  All in all it worked out well.

Ray

Thanks for letting me know what happened with y’all. Great information.  I’ll make sure to notify the front desk.