How often are ships refurbished?

sjde

3 minutes ago, sjde said:

i am looking at some RCCL ships and see they were last refurbished in 2012. Is that pretty standard? 

There are probably two distinct processes in play:

First, most of RCL's fleet was "amped" over the last decade to add new venues; additional features (like water slides, additional cabins, reconfigured decks, etc.) That is probably what you are looking at. In addition to those "amping" upgrades, all ships go through periodic maintenance and safety inspections that happen in dry dock at specific time intervals (i.e. every five years) where "refurbishing" of existing components like carpeting, furniture, fixtures, venues typically happens topside while the ship's functional systems, hull, propulsion, and and safety items are being worked on in the dry dock itself.

17 minutes ago, Happytime22 said:

Thanks orville99!  I was just going to ask about 'drydock' as we are going on Symphony of the seas in Aug 2024 and I saw they went into 'drydock' last March or so.

Hope the ship is all cleaned up!

She's a farily new ship, not much 'cleaning up' to do.  She had maintenance done in her drydock (think of your car--oil change, tune up).  But she's already got all the bells and whistles and is nowhere old enough to need cosmetic upgrades or updates.  She's a great ship, one of my favorites--enjoy!