Oceania Cruises Missing More

Hanoj

7 hours ago, Jayne E said:

4 missed ports on Riviera last May on 21 day cruise. 
2 due to weather and 2 due to “possible” dock worker strike that didn’t occur.
Replaced with 2 sea days, an additional day in present port and Salerno. 
No additional activities, movies, open bar, pool deck entertainment, etc. 

Caribbean cruise in December missed Puerta Plata….low water level…replaced with sea day. It was the 3rd time in a row port was missed for same reason….time to eliminate this port? 

Our first 18 O cruises, averaging 15 days each, we missed 2 ports.

So you believe it's related to post Covid new conditions? What's your explanation?

This ports cancelation in Portugal was questionable to say the least.

• Thanks 2

We missed 2 ports on the Singapore to Sydney cruise last year, Surabaya and Semarang, no fault of O’s, we had Covid on board and weren’t allowed to dock.  We had an extra day in Singapore, it was OK, but we’d already arrived early and spent 4 days there.. Only other times I can remember are missing Colombia due to high seas, and a port in Italy.  They moved heaven and earth to find another port to dock at and rearranged lots of tours.   Couldn’t sail for 2 years because we were in lockdown, so last year’s cruise was our first post Covid.  

We were on a P & O cruise many years ago, where every single port time was drastically reduced due to the fact the ship needed repairs and they wouldn’t take it in to dry dock before it’s scheduled maintenance.  We were informed a week before sailing, lots of people boarded without receiving any notification whatsoever.   

Princess , 6 cruises, 5 times missed there Island. 

Viking, 3 cruises (52 total days), Missed 1 port due to high seas. 

NCL 2 cruises, 2 missed opportunities at there island.

RCL, 6 cruises, one missed port

Celebrity, 4 cruises (62 days), zero missed ports.

HAL, 6 cruises, (56 days), one missed port.

Is the pattern there? Not sure. 

My Q is. We have not sailed O yet. Do we run away? 

1 hour ago, Ray4Fun said:

Princess , 6 cruises, 5 times missed there Island. 

Viking, 3 cruises (52 total days), Missed 1 port due to high seas. 

NCL 2 cruises, 2 missed opportunities at there island.

RCL, 6 cruises, one missed port

Celebrity, 4 cruises (62 days), zero missed ports.

HAL, 6 cruises, (56 days), one missed port.

Is the pattern there? Not sure. 

My Q is. We have not sailed O yet. Do we run away? 

If any missed port is a deal breaker for you then you probably should.

• Thanks 1

The cruise prior to us on Riviera - got caught in a fog bank on one of the tiny Ireland stops.  The morning was fine and they tendered everyone on shore, by about noonish the fog bank rolled in and the tendering back to the ship was suspended because the fog had rolled in so thick you couldn't see the ship.  They had over 500 passengers and 100 crew trapped ashore until about 9pm in a tiny village with no amenities (imagine the possible lawsuits...). Our captain was cautious after that regarding weather conditions - we did miss a few stops related to weather and wind.  Iceland, Greenland, the Northern Atlantic Islands are notorious for unexpected weather - many of the ports aren't in protected harbours and Fjord weather can be unpredictable.  Our stop in Kirkwall was successful, but there were 60pmh gusts the day before and Vista couldn't dock.  Global warming is a real thing - not just NCL trying to save a buck or two.

• Like 1

As we haven’t gained total control of the weather yet we can’t guarantee that any ship can dock in any port. 

A missed port is an extra sea day - for me thats a good thing. This could be the reason I like O - it gives me extra sea days LOL

Don’t nook a cruise on the strength of one particular stop, just in case Mother Nature decides to change your plans. 

As for nefarious decisions by O/the Captain - I am sure there are little white lies told all over the place. 

I am on holiday, I keep my expectations in check, my diligence dued and my glass full.

This actually works really well for me, I wish others would try it.  

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, ToxM said:

As we haven’t gained total control of the weather yet we can’t guarantee that any ship can dock in any port. 

A missed port is an extra sea day - for me thats a good thing. This could be the reason I like O - it gives me extra sea days LOL

Don’t nook a cruise on the strength of one particular stop, just in case Mother Nature decides to change your plans. 

As for nefarious decisions by O/the Captain - I am sure there are little white lies told all over the place. 

I am on holiday, I keep my expectations in check, my diligence dued and my glass full.

This actually works really well for me, I wish others would try it.  

In the Caribbean, I’d agree with you.  Let’s say it’s Osaka, Japan.  That might be problematic if I knew other cruise ships, similar size docked and the captain of the ship I’m on decided against it.  

Just now, hubofhockey said:

In the Caribbean, I’d agree with you.  Let’s say it’s Osaka, Japan.  That might be problematic if I knew other cruise ships, similar size docked and the captain of the ship I’m on decided against it.  

But what can you do about it? Not cruise on O in case it happened, as they have a reputation for it? Or if you are onboard let it ruin a perfectly good trip? 

In January I am cruising on another line, on a specific itinerary for a port that I would absolutely love to go to - in fact it’s number one my bucket list - I have been trying to get to this place for the last 15 or so years. It’s a tender stop, it has a history of not being possible. I’m taking the chance that we will get on land - if we don’t then even me seeing the place from a ship through binoculars will be enough. 

If O had offered this port I would have been on that itinerary in a flash, I like the line and it feels like home when I am aboard. I would take the chance with O as I really like the product.

Maybe growing up managing my expectations has stood me in good stead. I have a very good mental lemonade machine for those days when things don’t go right. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, hubofhockey said:

While you may know that other ships docked, do you know what the differences in the SMS (Safety Management System) between the two cruise lines are?  There may be differing policies and procedures for entering into "restricted waters" (entering/leaving port) in "restricted weather" (poor visibility, high winds).  The Captain is bound by the SMS, and has to adhere to it's policies and procedures, unless he/she feels that following them would endanger the ship, passengers, crew, or environment.

Also, what are the mechanical and physical differences between the ships?  Horsepower of thrusters, number of thrusters, etc, etc.

When you've received the training and experience to gain an Unlimited Master's license to Captain a cruise ship, and accept the personal responsibility for the ship, passengers, and crew, then I'd say you were in a position to question a Captain's decision about virtually anything done on the ship.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

While you may know that other ships docked, do you know what the differences in the SMS (Safety Management System) between the two cruise lines are?  There may be differing policies and procedures for entering into "restricted waters" (entering/leaving port) in "restricted weather" (poor visibility, high winds).  The Captain is bound by the SMS, and has to adhere to it's policies and procedures, unless he/she feels that following them would endanger the ship, passengers, crew, or environment.

Also, what are the mechanical and physical differences between the ships?  Horsepower of thrusters, number of thrusters, etc, etc.

When you've received the training and experience to gain an Unlimited Master's license to Captain a cruise ship, and accept the personal responsibility for the ship, passengers, and crew, then I'd say you were in a position to question a Captain's decision about virtually anything done on the ship.

Let’s say it’s an R class ship on Oceania and R class ship on Azamara docks and yours doesn’t.  If apples to oranges, I would agree with you but not apples to apples.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, hubofhockey said:

Let’s say it’s an R class ship on Oceania and R class ship on Azamara docks and yours doesn’t.  If apples to oranges, I would agree with you but not apples to apples.  

As I said, even with identical ships, the two cruise lines may have different "risk tolerances" built into their SMS plans, so that one Captain is allowed by that cruise line to dock, but the other Captain is not allowed to dock under the SMS he/she has to operate under.  Each company is allowed to tailor their SMS plan as long as it fits under the requirements of the ISM (International Safety Management) Code set by the IMO.  It's just like if you feel that your car could fit in a tight parallel parking slot, and so you park there, but the owner of an identical car doesn't feel the car could fit, so he doesn't try.  Risk tolerance.  Everyone has it, corporations, too.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

As I said, even with identical ships, the two cruise lines may have different "risk tolerances" built into their SMS plans, so that one Captain is allowed by that cruise line to dock, but the other Captain is not allowed to dock under the SMS he/she has to operate under.  Each company is allowed to tailor their SMS plan as long as it fits under the requirements of the ISM (International Safety Management) Code set by the IMO.  It's just like if you feel that your car could fit in a tight parallel parking slot, and so you park there, but the owner of an identical car doesn't feel the car could fit, so he doesn't try.  Risk tolerance.  Everyone has it, corporations, too.

Agree and that is certainly a valid reason to either choose one line over another.  Saw some episodes of the cable show great ships or something like that and it showed some pretty amazing moves by an Azamara captain.  It might be worrisome to some and not to others.

• Like 1