Southampton Dock Gate 20

amajaa

Has anyone tried going into Mayflower Terminal through Dock Gate 20 instead of 10? We have driven out that way before and the coach took use in that way once. 

If you have tried it, how easy is it to get in that way, can you just drive through the gate, if we get through the gate the Sat Nav should hopefully do the rest for us.  Presumably it should be slightly quicker if we are coming in from the M27/M271. Thanks for any info.

Happy Cruising 🚢🚢🚢

• Host Hattie changed the title to Southampton Dock Gate 20

We used Dock Gate 20 on our first cruises after COVID as advised by cruise lines to drive to Mayflower for drive through COVID. No problem with access and very short distance from M271 where you stay in left hand lane and turn right at roundabout. Long winding road through commercial port area which if still signposted is fairly straightforward. There is a level crossing so if unfortunate to arrive when used by train can delay things. Personally I would stick with Dock Gate 10 and not use Dock Gate 20 by choice.

Yes, when traffic's bad I've driven coaches thro Gate 20, bound for Mayflower terminal

Once even from close to Gate 10 when traffic to that gate was stationary.

Dock Gate 20 is well-signed off the A33, but Mayflower Terminal isn't mentioned.

Over the rail bridge, into the docks, turn left at the roundabout & follow your nose - from Gate 20 I don't recall Mayflower terminal being mentioned on any signs.

Best to stick to Gate 10 if its your first time. 

JB 🙂

27 minutes ago, david63 said:

It is (it might be dock 106) - or at least was in June

Several years since I last drove that way, and since I didn't need signs I may not have noticed them.

Inside the port, or outside ?

JB 🙂

Thanks all, depends what the traffic is likes on the day, the Sat Nav might even take us through the middle of Southampton if not congested there.

If we were going to Ocean Terminal we always drive straight down The Avenue but Mayflower not so easy as you have to turn off a long way up and I'm not sure what the roads are like that way if we opt to drive straight down through Southampton and not take M27/M271 .  The Sat Navs just go by the road and not how small they are or if cars park either side, used by many buses etc  etc 

1 hour ago, amajaa said:

@John Bull as you seem to know the way well,  would it be a good idea to come off on A33 ( as above) and follow Sat Nav through Southampton 

It's the way I'd go, especially on a summer weekend, when the lemmings are heading west on the M27 for the beaches of Bournemouth.

If your sat-nav tries to take you to the M27 just ignore it and it will quickly re-calibrate to the A33 route.

JB 🙂 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, david63 said:

Why not just put Dock Gate 20 in the sat nav (SO15 0GN) then it will take you straight there

Yes, thanks,  we were going to do that but will wait and see if Sat Nav takes us down the A33 and through the middle of Southampton first and see how many hold ups etc

If I was going into Southampton via A33 I personally would go dock gate 10 every time. It is a gamble when coming off M271 because of the chance of traffic to dock gate 10 but is very straight forward. Going via dock gate 20 is not as easy or straightforward even when signposted to Mayflower COVID area. Not sure if those signposts were a temporary measure put their for COVID testing drive through or are a permanent fixture. We left dock gate 10 in May on QM2 and didn't consider using dock gate 20 at all.

3 hours ago, david63 said:

There were no Covid signs in June.

I agree that leaving by Dock Gate 10 is easier

When we used dock gate 20 it was recommended by Cunard to access via dock gate 20 to go to Mayflower for drive thru COVID test and to proceed to dock gate 4. This was the very first staycation in August 2021 on QE. Obviously all the sign posts directing you were temporary and have obviously been removed since as that is not a usual entrance for Mayflower terminal.

Edited by majortom10