GOVERNOR OF HAWAII NOW ALLOWING TRAVEL TO MAUI

jamscckmc

The Governor is now encouraging travel to the unaffected areas of Maui. They need the tourism dollars. West Maui is off limits until October 17th. I’m assuming ships that dock on the other side of the island will be back to visiting soon. At least the cruisers spend money but don’t take up valuable hotel rooms needed for displaced locals. 

• Like 1

October 17th is when the proclamation ends. 

image.png.d36853d99e7f0ebf903cf2d9c7184de0.png

This is what the Governor said today: 

image.png.3bd40a780eb2006abd3b81576a528378.png

Resorts in Kaanapali are accepting guests for September and the last news update I got from the Ritz Kapalua said they would start welcoming guests in September. Lots of mixed messages.

Edited by BermudaBound2014

2 minutes ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Just curious what will draw the guests returning so soon?

What I’m hearing from my people up in Kapalua is that some of the resorts aren’t offering refunds so people are being forced to come if they didn’t have trip insurance.

How are you doing? 

Edited by BermudaBound2014

On 8/22/2023 at 6:29 PM, Silver Sweethearts said:

Just curious what will draw the guests returning so soon?

For me, if I can arrange my schedule to take an unscheduled vacation week, maybe after my Oct business trip to Oahu, I will. I will come for the sole purpose of spending money on Maui. If I stay at Napili Kai (my preferred spot) or the Hyatt Regency (#2),  I'll probably only leave the resort to eat at what ever restaurants are open in West Maui, and to surf at Honolua Bay or Flemings.

And no, to any who might ask, just sending money isn't the same as spending at hotels, restaurants, shops etc. I think the vast majority of people in West Maui would rather earn their money than take handouts.

• Like 2

On 8/22/2023 at 3:31 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

What I’m hearing from my people up in Kapalua is that some of the resorts aren’t offering refunds so people are being forced to come if they didn’t have trip insurance.

How are you doing? 

OK, but it is a different world up here.  What has not lessened is the feeling of disbelief.

• Like 2

On 8/24/2023 at 6:07 PM, Silver Sweethearts said:

OK, but it is a different world up here.  What has not lessened is the feeling of disbelief.

The grief I feel is miniscule compared to those of you who live on island full time. I can not imagine what struggles the island people are going thru. I cry every single day for Lahaina. I feel so helpless. And in disbelief.  Maui nō ka ‘oi forever.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

The grief I feel is miniscule compared to those of you who live on island full time. I can not imagine what struggles the island people are going thru. I cry every single day for Lahaina. I feel so helpless. And in disbelief.  Maui nō ka ‘oi forever.

How are you doing and how is your side of the world?  

7 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

I spend the summers in Michigan. Other than a tornado that touched down 10 miles away and being out of power for a couple days, things are lovely here. Thank you for asking.

I'm pretty sure my neighbors in Kapalua are still in shock. As you know, one of the beautiful things about Kapalua is that it's reasonably isolated and quiet, but just 15 minutes away from the activity in Lahaina. Not anymore. The only grocery store open on that side is Times and apparently the shelves are empty.  I suspect most everyone on Maui is still in disbelief. 

On 8/26/2023 at 7:12 PM, Silver Sweethearts said:

Have to add that you can now get reservations for this week at a certain popular restaurant in Kuau Cove where a several month wait was not unusual.  This week??  Never thought we would see that happen.