Alaska in Summer 2025

CatieM80

Hi! I was super excited to see Carnival already has their Alaska cruises open for 2025! I am looking at booking an Alaska cruise in summer 2025 for myself, my husband, and our 2 kids (will be 7 and 12 at that time). I’m open to any time in June or July, and the first half of August (before school starts). I was hoping for some guidance on the following:

- Any recs on Spirit vs. Luminosa? My husband and I were on Spirit in 2009 for our honeymoon. It was my first cruise - a 9 day Hawaiian! 
- Any recs on what month is best? I’ve been to Alaska twice, but both times were at the very end of the season in late September. We are pretty open to any kind of excursions, and have no mobility issues (as of now, hopefully will be able to say the same in 2 years)! 
- I for sure want to get a balcony cabin, but any recs on location? We have been lucky to not experience sea sickness (knocking on wood!), so I’m not really too worried about motion, more so thinking about views and general comfort. Would closer to aft have better views? Any decks that are better or worse than others? All of these cruises are round-trip from Seattle, so I’m thinking the side of the ship would not matter? But please let me know if that is not correct. 
- I am seeing some Premium Balcony options on some sailings, but they are right by the elevators, so I’m a bit concerned about noise. Has anyone ever been in one of those, and if so, what did you think?

- Finally, of course we cannot predict price changes. But based on experience and expertise, would you recommend booking as early as possible, or wait until Black Friday or Wave Season deals start rolling in? 

I know that is a lot of questions!! Any and all thoughts or tips are appreciated! 

Alaska is a great cruise, especially for kids and nature lovers. 

There is an excursion in Ketchikan (usually the wettest port) that is a lot of fun if your kids like a little adventure. It's an ATV trip on abandoned logging trails with a short walk to a waterfall at the turnaround point. You drive the ATV caravan style, so you have a guide but you are driving. Since this is more fun the muddier the trails, if it's raining 🌧 the day you're there, no problem!

They provide mud gear and helmets, you just bring gloves. There's a very sweet dog that hangs out at base camp and rides with one of the drivers, so you may have him on your trip.

We do this every year and it has not disappointed. Your kids can't drive, but they'll have great views. There are a few 4 person ATVs so y'all can stay together or you can get 2 2-person ATVs - just let them know  when you get to the site which you prefer.

If your itinerary includes Sitka, I highly recommend the Fortress of the Bears.

Juneau has a tram (Mt Roberts Tramway) to the top of the mountain that is worth the ride. The views are awesome, there are trails up top you can hike, and your ticket is unlimited rides, so you can go before and after other excursions. 

As for cabin location, we prefer true aft with wake views as we've seen incredible wildlife sightings from our deck.

If you find room for a stow away, I'm available!! Safe travels  - enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We took a Princess Cruise Tour in Late June, early July in 2022. The weather was ideal, rain only one night.

The cruise into Glacier Bay was one of the highlights of the trip. A Park Ranger came on board and offered a full day narration of what we were seeing and the history of the area.

P6301607.jpeg

P6301560.jpeg

P6291542.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was on the Spirit in late June for a 7 day cruise. I personally liked the ship  food and service. We had an inside room which was fine we were there to sleep. I was on top deck all week with my binoculars admiring the beautiful scenery. 
I didn’t think it would be that cold in late June and it was. My son who loves cooler weather was cold. 
I’m planning another trip to Alaska but it will be in August and not on Carnival. I loved the ports but not enough time in each port . I would go to another cruise line for basically the same itinerary but at least 8 or more hours in each port. I wanted to see so much but time was so limited. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CatieM80 said:

Any recs on Spirit vs. Luminosa? My husband and I were on Spirit in 2009 for our honeymoon. It was my first cruise - a 9 day Hawaiian! 

We have been on both Spirit and Luminosa and I like both ships equally (well maybe Spirit slightly better but that's probably just personal memories/perspectives).

I recently posted some info during our Luminosa to Alaska earlier this month (link below):

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2955346-carnival-luminosa-out-of-seattle-aug-3rd/#comment-65858332

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Alaska is a great cruise, especially for kids and nature lovers. 

There is an excursion in Ketchikan (usually the wettest port) that is a lot of fun if your kids like a little adventure. It's an ATV trip on abandoned logging trails with a short walk to a waterfall at the turnaround point. You drive the ATV caravan style, so you have a guide but you are driving. Since this is more fun the muddier the trails, if it's raining 🌧 the day you're there, no problem!

They provide mud gear and helmets, you just bring gloves. There's a very sweet dog that hangs out at base camp and rides with one of the drivers, so you may have him on your trip.

We do this every year and it has not disappointed. Your kids can't drive, but they'll have great views. There are a few 4 person ATVs so y'all can stay together or you can get 2 2-person ATVs - just let them know  when you get to the site which you prefer.

If your itinerary includes Sitka, I highly recommend the Fortress of the Bears.

Juneau has a tram (Mt Roberts Tramway) to the top of the mountain that is worth the ride. The views are awesome, there are trails up top you can hike, and your ticket is unlimited rides, so you can go before and after other excursions. 

As for cabin location, we prefer true aft with wake views as we've seen incredible wildlife sightings from our deck.

If you find room for a stow away, I'm available!! Safe travels  - enjoy your cruise!

Thank you!! This is great info. We’ve done the more popular excursions before, so these sound really cool. I would love to snag one of those true aft wake view cabins but man do they go fast!! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dan4182 said:

We took a Princess Cruise Tour in Late June, early July in 2022. The weather was ideal, rain only one night.

The cruise into Glacier Bay was one of the highlights of the trip. A Park Ranger came on board and offered a full day narration of what we were seeing and the history of the area.

P6301607.jpeg

P6301560.jpeg

P6291542.jpeg

That sounds (and looks) amazing!!

4 hours ago, Buffalobills said:

I was on the Spirit in late June for a 7 day cruise. I personally liked the ship  food and service. We had an inside room which was fine we were there to sleep. I was on top deck all week with my binoculars admiring the beautiful scenery. 
I didn’t think it would be that cold in late June and it was. My son who loves cooler weather was cold. 
I’m planning another trip to Alaska but it will be in August and not on Carnival. I loved the ports but not enough time in each port . I would go to another cruise line for basically the same itinerary but at least 8 or more hours in each port. I wanted to see so much but time was so limited. 

Yeah I’m seeing some pretty short times in port. 😓 Which would actually be idea for my kids now, but two years older I’m thinking they will be able to handle a little more time in port. 

1 hour ago, csm5986142 said:

We have been on both Spirit and Luminosa and I like both ships equally (well maybe Spirit slightly better but that's probably just personal memories/perspectives).

I recently posted some info during our Luminosa to Alaska earlier this month (link below):

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2955346-carnival-luminosa-out-of-seattle-aug-3rd/#comment-65858332

Thanks! Will check out your post for sure. I’m leaving toward Spirit too, since we were on it for our honeymoon but haven’t been back since. It would be 16 years later at that point!! 😳

2 hours ago, n6uqqq said:

If you are booking this far out try to snag room 6232 on the Spirit. You won't regret it! Triple length extended balcony and close to elevators(but you won't hear them). 

20220517_145202(0).jpg

Ohhh that looks awesome! I have one cruise on a courtesy hold right now that is room 6279. I’m wondering if it’s the same category? Off to do some investigating! 

33 minutes ago, CatieM80 said:

Ohhh that looks awesome! I have one cruise on a courtesy hold right now that is room 6279. I’m wondering if it’s the same category? Off to do some investigating! 

6279 is a premium balcony, it will be more expensive but is a much bigger cabin and perfect for a family. It is about the size of an Ocean Suite but has a standard bathroom so can’t classified as a suite. It does have a large extended balcony. We have 7301, a premium balcony on the 14 day Miracle to Alaska from along Beach in a couple of weeks, really looking forward to it! 6279 is the same layout but I am not sure if it has the top bunk that drops out of the ceiling. The Miracle is a sister ship to Spirit so the cabins are the same. 

Edited by LaRue1975
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, LaRue1975 said:

6279 is a premium balcony, it will be more expensive but is a much bigger cabin and perfect for a family. It is about the size of an Ocean Suite but has a standard bathroom so can’t classified as a suite. It does have a large extended balcony. We have 7301, a premium balcony on the 14 day Miracle to Alaska from along Beach in a couple of weeks, really looking forward to it! 6279 is the same layout but I am not sure if it has the top bunk that drops out of the ceiling. The Miracle is a sister ship to Spirit so the cabins are the same. 

Very nice!! I am kind of torn on the premium or super extended balcony. Now my husband has thrown another wrench into it. When I excitedly told him we could put a deposit on Alaska for summer 2025, he said, “I thought we wanted to do Europe in summer 2025.” 🤦🏻‍♀️ I think he’s trying to delay me booking any more cruises because he knows Europe won’t be released for a while! Haha!

Have a fantastic time on Miracle!! We will be on her for a New Year Panama Canal December 2024! 

3 hours ago, CatieM80 said:

6232 is an 8J category cheaper than 6279. The room is standard balcony size so it is smaller interior than 6279 but the balcony will be twice the size of 6279 which is extended and 1.5 times longer. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, CatieM80 said:

That sounds (and looks) amazing!!

Please be advised that no Carnival ship has access to Glacier Bay NP at least through 2024. There are two permits per day only. The VAST majority are controlled by Princess with HAL second. Few other lines have any. If Glacier Bay is bucket list, do a 1 way cruise from either Vancouver or Whittier on either of those lines.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

We just booked Alaskan cruise on Spirit July1-8th, 2025 with our 12 year old and our oldest son and his wife and toddler will be in another cabin on same cruise!  Ive never been to Alaska so Im excited about this cruise.  It was suggested to me a balcony is best if you dont want to try to get to the open deck railings before everyone else.  We both booked the extended/wraparound balconies in the back. 

Edited by cheermom2four
  • Like 1

If an cruise ever begged for splurging on the room, an Alaskan cruise is it! I would recommend trying for a vista suite on Deck 4 on the Spirit class ships. The balcony is huge and gives you views on both the rear and the side. 
Had the vista suite on Miracle for an Alaskan cruise, was amazing for what we were able to see. In Icy Straight, we were able to just sit on the balcony with binoculars, and have all the paid tours spot the whales for us, LOL. 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2023 at 8:27 AM, dan4182 said:

P6301607.jpeg

P6301560.jpeg

P6291542.jpeg

She asked about carnival ships

23 hours ago, thenexus2k said:

If an cruise ever begged for splurging on the room, an Alaskan cruise is it! I would recommend trying for a vista suite on Deck 4 on the Spirit class ships. The balcony is huge and gives you views on both the rear and the side. 
Had the vista suite on Miracle for an Alaskan cruise, was amazing for what we were able to see. In Icy Straight, we were able to just sit on the balcony with binoculars, and have all the paid tours spot the whales for us, LOL. 

We booked the Vista Suite but unfortunately the only ones available were deck 8 😞 Rule I always follow is staterooms above and below me but unfortunately this time we went against that.  My son and his family and I wanted vista suites on the same deck so we compromised