Drinking ship provided water when cruising in Japanese waters

Aitchgeye

On 8/29/2023 at 5:54 PM, YourWorldWithBill said:

Are the rules the same as making chocolate in the US? It's okay to eat with a certain number of bugs in the mix...

Small digression: Many eons ago, I was the coordinator for a statewide program to assess the risk of asbestos in schools, particularly in sprayed ceiling surfaces. The laboratory where I used their polarized light microscope to analyze samples also included a person using a regular microscope to count bug parts in corn chips and tortilla chips from a local manufacturer to ensure they were under the maximum limit. Tends to put one off one’s lunch to see the various pieces of (example) fly legs in the chip samples.

More related to the topic: A few years ago, I was setting up instrumentation to detect low levels of radioactivity in a niche-market production process. The local technical representative brought in the banana from his lunch, which we put into the detector. With a small tweak to the analysis time, we got a “high radiation” alarm from his banana. An indication of how very low the levels were that we were trying to detect.

I understand your concern and it's a reasonable one. I hope you're a good sport and have enjoyed the snarky comments. I have my own concerns about things that I eat and drink and I am often criticized for it. Most people will eat and drink anything without a thought, especially if it's free. 

• Like 1