On board payment method

Korimako

I thought CC's were used around the world as a safe way to cover your butt and are insured if the card or numbers are stolen and someone attempts fraudulent charges?

On the other hand, if someone steals our cash or debit card to our savings account then we are not covered.

Maybe it's just our credit cards that are this way😉

• Like 3

There are some very interesting replies here, but not really what I asked😂

Perhaps I didn't make it clear at the beginning - mea culpa - but I am a NZ citizen going on an Australian based cruise.

It's of no help to me to know what various US cards offer.

33 minutes ago, Korimako said:

There are some very interesting replies here, but not really what I asked😂

Perhaps I didn't make it clear at the beginning - mea culpa - but I am a NZ citizen going on an Australian based cruise.

It's of no help to me to know what various US cards offer.

Perhaps you are correct.

Have you thought about posting your question on Cruise Critic forum more specific to your location, the Australia and New Zealand Board?

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/564-australia-new-zealand-cruisers/

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TrixiePixie said:

I’m having trouble with the payment method on the app. It keeps telling me my credit card number is not a correct  I know it’s the correct number. Any advice

Are you trying to use it for more than one person? If so, don't enter it separately. Enter it for one person and then use the selection to "use for all guests" or the check box to use it for the other passenger (or however it's phrased). There is a known issue if trying to do it the other way.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2023 at 6:59 AM, AZjohn said:

I thought CC's were used around the world as a safe way to cover your butt and are insured if the card or numbers are stolen and someone attempts fraudulent charges?

On the other hand, if someone steals our cash or debit card to our savings account then we are not covered.

Maybe it's just our credit cards that are this way😉

Don't know if this covers any of your question or not.  I normally never use my bank's debit (ATM) card outside of my US  bank's ATM.  Asked my bank how safe it is to used my card in a foreign bank's ATM or really any ATM. 

Two safety tips they gave me was not to have the debit/ATM card linked to both my checking and savings - Mine was but now it is not linked.

Then they said they offer a "Lockit" option on their app that allows  me to lock my ATM card right after using it.  When I am ready to use the card again, I would unlock the card.  Lockit can also be used with the bank's credit card..

Edited by coo359a2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TrixiePixie said:

Yes Thrak I tried that all ways and it still says my number is invalid. Thanks

Poop. It was worth a try. Really mind boggling that these issues even exist in the first place let alone seem to persist. This is the sort of thing that would cause a failing grade in any programming class.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TrixiePixie said:

I’m having trouble with the payment method on the app. It keeps telling me my credit card number is not a correct  I know it’s the correct number. Any advice

My wife has cruised Princess before and I had not. When I tried (and tried and tried) to enter our card number on my downloaded app it kept rejecting with the same message. When she input it in her Princess App it worked the first time.

29 minutes ago, robbinsca said:

My wife has cruised Princess before and I had not. When I tried (and tried and tried) to enter our card number on my downloaded app it kept rejecting with the same message. When she input it in her Princess App it worked the first time.

Was your wife the primary name on the booking?  I am thinking the primary needs a card before the secondary.  And typically - for a couple - the primary simply flags the card as usable by both persons.

14 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Was your wife the primary name on the booking?  I am thinking the primary needs a card before the secondary.  And typically - for a couple - the primary simply flags the card as usable by both persons.

We are thinking that may be the case.

1 hour ago, robbinsca said:

Sounds like the same but. The card number is already associated with her account and a card can only have one name as the card holder.

2 hours ago, coo359a2 said:

Don't know if this covers any of your question or not.  I normally never use my bank's debit (ATM) card outside of my US  bank's ATM.  Asked my bank how safe it is to used my card in a foreign bank's ATM or really any ATM. 

Two safety tips they gave me was not to have the debit/ATM card linked to both my checking and savings - Mine was but now it is not linked.

Then they said they offer a "Lockit" option on their app that allows  me to lock my ATM card right after using it.  When I am ready to use the card again, I would unlock the card.  Lockit can also be used with the bank's credit card..

I guess that is a work around.

Like you, we only use our debit card at our local bank atm just to get cash. But, I guess a determine thief can somehow get our debit info from our banks atm also.

I hate thief's with a passion !!! 😡

• Like 1

On 8/28/2023 at 7:47 PM, Korimako said:

How soon before boarding does one have to give details of payment method? I'm somewhat hesitant to hand over my credit card details months before I need to.

Also - will a bank debit card (EFTPOS) be acceptable? This will be a cruise out of Australia with all onboard charges in AUD. I've never cruised before, so all of this is quite daunting!

You can do both, but Thrack is right that debit cards can be problematic. You generally need thousands in a debit account. As well as proper credit available on any credit card. It's amusing hearing the "Will Mr & Mrs. Jones please come to guest services"" frequently heard at the end of the cruise. You may wish to settle in cash at the end, but that means bring a lot of cash along. Not always an advisable thing to do.