Regarding Viking's included tours-question

kkelley

We are veteran cruisers with 20+ cruises behind us and not loyal to any one brand. This is our first time on 

Viking. My question is For included tours that are tours of the city, particularly Valencia. Is it possible to offload from the tour and stay in town, then find our own transportation back to the ship. I really want to experience the Paella in Valencia and I could not find any other type of food tour to experience in the afternoon. So my next thought, since we are taking the included tour from 9-12 is to just find a great restaurant  to eat and then head back to the ship.  Recommendations regarding restaurants are also appreciated. 

Thank you in advance for the time that each of you spend sharing your experience and knowledge. 

We have left the tour part way round in several cities and made our own way back to the ship. Obviously you need to make sure that the guide is aware that you are leaving the group so no one spends time looking for you!

In Valencia we took the shuttle bus provided free by Viking from the ship to Pont dels Serrans (a bridge leading into one of the gateways into the old town) and did our own exploration of the city starting there.

• Like 2

short answer is yes .... we've done three V cruises (2 ocean one river) and how this works has variables depending on the situation.  Sometimes we've seen: it is OK to leave but as noted PLEASE tell the guide so they don't waste time looking for you. Sometimes the tour was mostly walking with time at the end for DIY & a bus getting you to town and then returns to pick you up and here the guide just tells you where the bus will be and when it will depart ... you can catch the bus or DIY. And yet other times the last walking leg was close enuf to the boat that DIY walking back was your option and the bus left at a set time. Bottom line they are very flexible but tend to be VERY cautious about not leaving anyone behind on a tour stop that does not WANT to be left behind 😬

1 hour ago, kkelley said:

We are veteran cruisers with 20+ cruises behind us and not loyal to any one brand. This is our first time on 

Viking. My question is For included tours that are tours of the city, particularly Valencia. Is it possible to offload from the tour and stay in town, then find our own transportation back to the ship. I really want to experience the Paella in Valencia and I could not find any other type of food tour to experience in the afternoon. So my next thought, since we are taking the included tour from 9-12 is to just find a great restaurant  to eat and then head back to the ship.  Recommendations regarding restaurants are also appreciated. 

Thank you in advance for the time that each of you spend sharing your experience and knowledge. 

Presuming logistics are the same now as they were in 2018 and 2019 when we called at Valencia, Viking will offer a regular shuttle between the ship to the Porta dels Serrans. We have done as you're suggesting and enjoyed the included tour of the old part of town (not the one to the aquarium) and then spent the rest of the afternoon on our own. There is so much to see and enjoy there. Just suggest not waiting too late to head back, we once were on what was supposed to be the next to last bus, and there were at least 100 people waiting. I think Viking ended up sending another bus or two but I know some crew took taxis back to be sure they didn't miss their all aboard time. 

We spent a month there after our Transatlantic in 2018 and it was on our list of possible retirement places until we learned how hit it gets in the summer.  Even the Valencians say to leave😂

I am not much help on the Paella in Valencia. The locals say you can only get real paella at lunch in Albufera which is what we did by City Bus. It's easy to do but probably not if you have a 5 or 6 "back on board" since lunch is usually never before 1:30. Most of the places in Valencia that we frequented had a Menú del día which was typically something a little simpler. There are lots of take-away places that sell "paella" but locals will tell you it's really chicken and rice. Real Paella is only one or two grains thick. The meat and any veggies are supposedly just there for flavoring. We are ours anyway!  Another tradition is you only have seafood paella at the beach. The Valencians are VERY particular about their paella. 

Have you asked on a trip advisor forum-I'm sure someplace in Valencia makes real paella.

I will also mention that you try a glass (or pitcher)  of Aqua de Valencia, a delicious version of a mimosa made with oj, vodka, gin, and cava.  Yummy-just be sure you know how to get back to the Viking shuttle location 😂

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

Presuming logistics are the same now as they were in 2018 and 2019 when we called at Valencia, Viking will offer a regular shuttle between the ship to the Porta dels Serrans. We have done as you're suggesting and enjoyed the included tour of the old part of town (not the one to the aquarium) and then spent the rest of the afternoon on our own. There is so much to see and enjoy there. Just suggest not waiting too late to head back, we once were on what was supposed to be the next to last bus, and there were at least 100 people waiting. I think Viking ended up sending another bus or two but I know some crew took taxis back to be sure they didn't miss their all aboard time. 

We spent a month there after our Transatlantic in 2018 and it was on our list of possible retirement places until we learned how hit it gets in the summer.  Even the Valencians say to leave😂

I am not much help on the Paella in Valencia. The locals say you can only get real paella at lunch in Albufera which is what we did by City Bus. It's easy to do but probably not if you have a 5 or 6 "back on board" since lunch is usually never before 1:30. Most of the places in Valencia that we frequented had a Menú del día which was typically something a little simpler. There are lots of take-away places that sell "paella" but locals will tell you it's really chicken and rice. Real Paella is only one or two grains thick. The meat and any veggies are supposedly just there for flavoring. We are ours anyway!  Another tradition is you only have seafood paella at the beach. The Valencians are VERY particular about their paella. 

Have you asked on a trip advisor forum-I'm sure someplace in Valencia makes real paella.

I will also mention that you try a glass (or pitcher)  of Aqua de Valencia, a delicious version of a mimosa made with oj, vodka, gin, and cava.  Yummy-just be sure you know how to get back to the Viking shuttle location 😂

The best paella we ever had was on a beach in Barcelona….have no idea the name of the restaurant. Still have dreams about it!

10 hours ago, janetcbl said:

The best paella we ever had was on a beach in Barcelona….have no idea the name of the restaurant. Still have dreams about it!

Same for us! It was amazing. We'll be back in Barcelona in January and hoping to find the place again.

• Like 1

We did the Valencia Viking included in 2021 and it was a very nice combination of panoramic bus ride and walking the old city.  Our guide was very specific about pointing out exactly where to meet the shuttle bus for those who wished to stay in the city after the tour.  Many people cut loose in the old city when she announced we were heading back to our bus.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, photopro2 said:

We have left the tour part way round in several cities and made our own way back to the ship. Obviously you need to make sure that the guide is aware that you are leaving the group so no one spends time looking for you!

In Valencia we took the shuttle bus provided free by Viking from the ship to Pont dels Serrans (a bridge leading into one of the gateways into the old town) and did our own exploration of the city starting there.

That sounds like a great idea. I did not realize that Viking would run a shuttle in addition to the tour bus. This will be a fun learning experience for us. Thank you for your suggestion.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kkelley said:

That sounds like a great idea. I did not realize that Viking would run a shuttle in addition to the tour bus. This will be a fun learning experience for us. Thank you for your suggestion.

They've done similar in cities that needed it on the Viking river side.... And yes, no issues with departing a tour early. We're all adults here.

3 hours ago, burnabyjean said:

Same for us! It was amazing. We'll be back in Barcelona in January and hoping to find the place again.

We are departing from Barcelona and have the extension booked prior so maybe Paella should be enjoyed in Barcelona rather than Valencia. ( or both!) I have been looking on Trip Advisor for ideas.

Thank you for the responses.