FWIW, Our Opinion. NCL vs MSC

laudergayle

Hi there…just off a 4-day MSC Seaside cruise, 8/27-31, and here are some thoughts and observations between the two cruise lines.  

We are NCL Platinum..earned by double points cruises post Covid.  Our first cruise was 10/2021 on NCL and we have now taken 6 NCL and 1 MSC.  We choose to sail while kids are in school to minimize occupancy, even though all the cruises in 2023 have been fully booked.  We opted for a 4-day cruise on MSC as a trial to see if we liked MSC experience. While we were a little concerned that this would be a short party cruise, we found very few annoying individuals or groups.  So here is our comparison between NCL and MSC based on our 2023 cruise experience.

Service:  MSC

MSC was fully staffed.  Bar service was a little slow at times, BUT, I believe that this was due to being able to order all types of drinks—beer, wine, cocktails, frozen, waters, even fresh brewed espresso, latte, cappuccino at nearly every bar. All of these drinks were included in their Easy Plus package up to $10.  With the exception of higher end liquor and wines, most drinks were $10 or less.

MSC still has 2x daily turndown. While we don’t require that, the benefit was there were more stewards to room count.  Our room was ready by 1:30 pm on embarkation day…and this was after they disembarked previous cruise 2.5 hours late.  Our room would be cleaned in the 30-45 minutes we were out for breakfast and freshened up while we were at the evening dinner/shows.

Food:  NCL (MSC wins for Buffet Hours)

MDRs on NCL don’t feel like a cattle call.  While Anytime Dining on NCL doesn’t mean “no wait”, being able to dine when you want vs. set times is preferred.  The MDRs on MSC were way too packed…tables inches apart from the next.  MSC food was okay, it wasn’t as tasty as NCL.  MSC recently scaled back their dinner menu, added a $5 fee for second entree and lowered the quality of meal selection.  Which is something NCL did at the beginning of 2023.  

NCL wins on specialty dining—although NCL lowered the food quality in 2023.  The number of specialty restaurants along with the food quality and selection is better on NCL.  Cost for the packages are comparable.

Buffets on the two ships are comparable.  MSC wins for longer access to the buffet including late night pizza.  

NCL has the complimentary Local/O’Sheehans which is a nice B/L/D/Late Night option vs. the buffet.

Entertainment:  MSC

MSC has a good thing going.  On our 4-day cruise we had main theater entertainment all 4 nights.  They weren’t off Broadway productions but they were well done and very entertaining. An acrobat/magician/dancers, comedian, easy listening singers/dancers, Michael Jackson cover/dancers.  The performers participated in the multiple acts. Also, there were 6-7 onboard musicians in various venues each evening.  

US Itineraries:  NCL

NCL has much more choice of where to sail from the US…Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Hawaii, Panama Canal, Southern Caribbean, Eastern and Western Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda, NE/Canada, Transatlantic.  Itineraries ranging 3 days 16+ nights. MSC only sails out of Port Canaveral, Miami and Brooklyn NY for now.

International Itineraries:  Tie

I would have given NCL the win for number/quality of destinations, but the NCL 2024 international itineraries are mostly 10+ nights which for many US residents the time/cost of longer cruises is not feasible.

Cabin:  NCL

This comparison is based on balcony cabins.  NCL cabins feel larger, the bedding is better quality and the mattresses newer.  

Cost/Value:  MSC

MSC is significantly lower cost/better value than NCL…and NCL prices continue to rise…which is why we tried MSC.

Bottom line:  Both NCL and MSC are solid cruise lines and we would sail either if the cost and itinerary were right for us.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your comments.  I've thought about taking an MSC cruise out of NY.  NCL is getting tighter with their CAS comps and, as others have well documented, there are a lot of service cutbacks.

I was speaking at length with someone who recently sailed on MSC.  Their comments about the cruise  (they've never been on NCL so nothing to compare) were similar to yours.  Dining inflexibility and MDR wasn't great.  But high marks for the crew, especially their room steward.

Did you have occasion to try any of the premium restaurants?  That's what I'd consider doing, if/when I give them a try.

26 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

Thanks for your comments.  I've thought about taking an MSC cruise out of NY.  NCL is getting tighter with their CAS comps and, as others have well documented, there are a lot of service cutbacks.

I was speaking at length with someone who recently sailed on MSC.  Their comments about the cruise  (they've never been on NCL so nothing to compare) were similar to yours.  Dining inflexibility and MDR wasn't great.  But high marks for the crew, especially their room steward.

Did you have occasion to try any of the premium restaurants?  That's what I'd consider doing, if/when I give them a try.

We were on Seaside and had the Duo package at $99 pp.  so we got the Dining Experience (shorter menu) in Butchers Cut and the Pan Asian restaurants.  The Butcher Cut we had the 8 oz filet…which was the 2x the size of NCL Cagney’s 6 oz.  And it was a perfect cook. med for me and MR for hubby.  May be the best steak I have had ever.  The Pan Asian…meh.  If I did again I would order off the sushi menu. However,  DH loved his Market Catch Asian style.   We only did MDR once and buffet the other night. Based on your ship, I’ve heard good things about Ocean Cay seafood specialty and Hola Tacos.  

Edited by laudergayle

Well, the FWIW's to me, is I absolutely love your opinions! Maybe because we agree so often. 🙂 I'm so glad you tried MSC and had a great time. Well, I think you had a great time. It sounds kind of like it. I mean, you were on a ship. In the ocean. How could you not have a great time unless the A/C went out.

I really appreciate seeing your detailed, but not too long comparison. Some of the comparison threads/posts can be really, really long and I lose attention. Who'd a thunk that given my verbose posts.

Did you go to any ports? Or was this a to Ocean Cay(e)? and back kind of trip?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, schmoopie17 said:

I've heard MSC does status match. What, if any "Platinum" benefits did you get on MSC?

NCL Platinum status matches to MSC Gold.  The meaningful benefit was a 5% discount on base cruise price…which can be 10% based on longer booking window.  We got a fruit basket upon arrival in our balcony cabin and two drawstring bags on last night.  

• Like 1

@cruiseny4life I was hoping you would read my review.  I thought about you and your husband’s dress code requirement…and honestly, with the exception of Gala Night (which is only on 7+ night cruises), you would be fine wearing shorts and flippy floppies in the Yacht Club restaurant on the Caribbean cruises. And I’ve read and heard really good things about the Meraviglia out of NY. 

We had a great cruise…we REALLY liked the public space on the ship.  So many different bars with entertainment.  The ship was fully booked (5000+ people) and the only place that was crowded was the MDR.  

We were supposed to do Nassau then Ocean Cay, but due to Idalia they kept us in Nassau for two days. Ocean Cay is very close to Miami and the waves from Idalia’s outer bands would not allow the ship to dock.  All good.  

Thanks for asking me😊

• Like 3

And, of course we'd be ordering room service on that Gala Night which is fine by me! I know cruise ship food is basically a giant catering operation, but I'm reminded of all those fancy dinners I used to go to when I was important (very relative use of important). Dried out chicken, though I do remember when annual event that served filet and the absolute best sea bass with a divine cheese sauce...that's what Gala/Formal/etc. Night reminds me of. Ok, that was too much info, I know!

That's amazing about the 5,000 people! I know I've been on big ships, but there's something about that big round number. Does Seaside have the giant shopping mall like center?

Definitely looking at Meraviglia,, since it would be within driving distance. I suppose that doesn't stop us since our last cruise we flew to Miami and in November we'll be heading to Spain.

I'm sorry you didn't get to Ocean Cay! But, glad the ship didn't rock you out of bed!

14 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

of all those fancy dinners I used to go to when I was important (very relative use of important).

Lol…yeah I was (self) important once, too.  But I have had many amazing experiences thanks to my self-importance.  Moving on…Meravilgia is a much newer ship…and likely even more enjoyable.  Based on what I’ve read on CC and other unnamed sites…the YC has this ridiculously awesome seafood buffet one day…which your husband could get 2 dozen shrimp if he wanted.  

33 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

And, of course we'd be ordering room service on that Gala Night which is fine by me! I know cruise ship food is basically a giant catering operation, but I'm reminded of all those fancy dinners I used to go to when I was important (very relative use of important). 

12 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Lol…yeah I was (self) important once, too.  But I have had many amazing experiences thanks to my self-importance. 

I'm still important. It's just that those who think I'm important have declined in number.

Right now, it's the wife and our two dogs that still see how important I am.

• Haha 6

20 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I'm still important. It's just that those who think I'm important have declined in number.

Right now, it's the wife and our two dogs that still see how important I am.

Oh, that's funny!! Dogs, cat, and husband are all that I care about so they're the only ones important to me.

• Like 3