Live From The Carnival Freedom: Crossing the Atlantic for a New Whale Tail

jam19872016

24 minutes ago, NE John said:

If you ever do a Transatlantic on QM2, it’s seven nights and eight days at sea. No stops. The ship itself is the destination. 

You definitely have to be in the right mindset to do a TA. 

I'm good with it. My mom is getting a little stir crazy. I think the crew are anxious for some land too.

6 minutes ago, techteach said:

I’m sitting shaking my head thinking I’d be going hungry this afternoon if those were my choices. I did appreciate the description of 80/20 chuck for the Salisbury steak and I was also glad to see a matching cruet set and a real pepper grinder. Thanks for the warning @NE John, but the damage was done. Too bad there isn’t a way to insert a warning, “The pictures you are about to see depict food in various states of disarray and may cause pain to foodies. A glass of wine recommended before proceeding.” But, I’m glad you enjoyed your lunch @jam19872016 😉 and I hope the seas smooth out for you. I’m looking forward to your dinner. 

You should just assume that they all could cause potential angst 😅

• Haha 7

1 minute ago, PayneAS said:

Why does that look like fried chicken on top of that cake? They certainly are getting creative... lol

That sounds like the next winning combination. Moved over bacon donut, here comes fried chicken cake 🎂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

1 minute ago, techteach said:

Yum…that sounds good and I’m glad to hear your report that it was “pretty good”

Perfectly decent cake just not one of the ones that jump out at me as a favorite. 

Funfetti cheesecake and chocolate peanut butter I would arm wrestle for the last slice 😋.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, PayneAS said:

Why does that look like fried chicken on top of that cake? They certainly are getting creative... lol

Oh My…what do you think those French fry looking molded rectangles could be? You said it was apple/caramel…as @exlondoner has pointed out, there are many fried foods being served. Perhaps they are fried apples. Maybe even breaded fried apples!

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, techteach said:

Oh My…what do you think those French fry looking molded rectangles could be? You said it was apple/caramel…as @exlondoner has pointed out, there are many fried foods being served. Perhaps they are fried apples. Maybe even breaded fried apples!

They are apples. I don't recall them being fried or breaded but it's possible I just didn't get a slice with any apple on it.

I've gotten it at least once but I don't think I could find the picture at this point 😅 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jam19872016 said:

Perfectly decent cake just not one of the ones that jump out at me as a favorite. 

Funfetti cheesecake and chocolate peanut butter I would arm wrestle for the last slice 😋.

What do they adulterate perfectly good cheesecake with to make it funfetti? I bet it contains your favorite #2 yellow dye, and maybe even #4 red. Chocolate peanut butter does sound like a winner.  Like a giant Reese’s peanut butter cup with a good cup of coffee on the side.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, techteach said:

What do they adulterate perfectly good cheesecake with to make it funfetti? I bet it contains your favorite #2 yellow dye, and maybe even #4 red. Chocolate peanut butter does sound like a winner.  Like a giant Reese’s peanut butter cup with a good cup of coffee on the side.

Screenshot_20231102-180451_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4e9e0bd9960ef11196434156fbe74467.jpg

Funfetti and confetti are the same thing. 

• Like 5

@jam19872016 I have had funfetti cakes before and I was afraid that they used the same confetti in the cheesecake. I was holding out hope that maybe they just put those little sprinkles on top and not within the cake. Oh well. The dinner menu looks good. I’m looking forward to seeing your choices. 🙂

4 minutes ago, techteach said:

@jam19872016 I have had funfetti cakes before and I was afraid that they used the same confetti in the cheesecake. I was holding out hope that maybe they just put those little sprinkles on top and not within the cake. Oh well. The dinner menu looks good. I’m looking forward to seeing your choices. 🙂

It's so good it even got its own thread I think it went a few pages long too.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I love the Captain’s festive invitation so Carnival should break out the fancy china to match this nice menu. Nicer plates and a bit more effort in plating would elevate a nice menu. 
With nicer China we can then comment if the servers properly align the plate’s insignia inline with the diner. We saw that Cunard needs to work on that important insignia alignment during this thread!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, NE John said:

I love the Captain’s festive invitation so Carnival should break out the fancy china to match this nice menu. Nicer plates and a bit more effort in plating would elevate a nice menu. 
With nicer China we can then comment if the servers properly align the plate’s insignia inline with the diner. We saw that Cunard needs to work on that important insignia alignment during this thread!

I'm not sure they have fancy China. It used to get a tablecloth on fancy night but no more.

We do get the fancy table decorations 

20231102_191047.thumb.jpg.fbc0e27d77fc6c3f2cfdd0dc2bdfcc01.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

The fish had a great flavor. The first bite or two was too dry but as I got into it, it improved. Very good.

The beef was excellent tonight! I am going to go so far as to say it exceeded the one I had on QE. It was that good.

The baked Alaska had lost a little of its volume compared to the portion it used to be but it was still good.

Very nice dinner tonight. 

• Like 11

6 hours ago, jam19872016 said:

Lido lunch choices.  Not everything was set up yet but gives an idea.

20231102_102905.thumb.jpg.7fa0b4c48249f69e3b8b001e379c7dc8.jpg

20231102_102911.thumb.jpg.846b43adf531159b1b7903177dd73e81.jpg

20231102_102917.thumb.jpg.ec7bc53f73cde4c0980516cb1abe2467.jpg

20231102_102924.thumb.jpg.246d2096bab6fb84528daa6942d50533.jpg

20231102_102924.thumb.jpg.246d2096bab6fb84528daa6942d50533.jpg

20231102_102928.thumb.jpg.539ea1f7c14d1b7f1fc7e131cd396739.jpg

20231102_102920.jpg

That looks like regular lettuce. I can’t eat tge mixed greens and on the Magic this past Narch I could not ever get just plain regular romaine lettuce even if I asked for it. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, #55worktoplay said:

That looks like regular lettuce. I can’t eat tge mixed greens and on the Magic this past Narch I could not ever get just plain regular romaine lettuce even if I asked for it. 

Magic is my next Carnival ship. It's been getting hit hard recently in the food reviews. I hope my experience is better.

• Like 5