Tropical Storm Lee/Bahamas?

srobinet63

6 hours ago, skywalkr2 said:

I am supposed to be heading up out of NYC to Nova Scotia next Saturday. I'm betting if any cruise will be impacted... it will be mine.

Which is ironic because I picked this cruise to escape hurricanes we had to dodge on my last September cruise in 2022.

Hey Skywalker....us too.

Flying to LaGuardia on Friday and embarking on Saturday.  I know some of the good folks on CC are pretty relaxed about the major hurricane, but we are worried.

I know that a lot of smart people are saying now is not the time to panic, but my wife disagrees.  She says now is the perfect time to panic.

Even if the storm tracks east of the U.S. coast, the Canadian coast may still take a pretty good shot.  The seas will probably be pretty rough either way.

We are really debating whether we are going or staying home.  We are seasoned cruisers and live on the Texas coast.  We have been through many hurricanes.  Lots of concern for Cat 4s and 5s.

I like reading the comments that everything is going to be okay.  They are reassuring.  But I'm thinking it's not okay....it's not even remotely okay.  I'm hoping to hear more about alternative ports and how and when that decision gets made.  Hoping that Lee makes a big right turn.

4 hours ago, JCrewz said:

Hey Skywalker....us too.

Flying to LaGuardia on Friday and embarking on Saturday.  I know some of the good folks on CC are pretty relaxed about the major hurricane, but we are worried.

I know that a lot of smart people are saying now is not the time to panic, but my wife disagrees.  She says now is the perfect time to panic.

Even if the storm tracks east of the U.S. coast, the Canadian coast may still take a pretty good shot.  The seas will probably be pretty rough either way.

We are really debating whether we are going or staying home.  We are seasoned cruisers and live on the Texas coast.  We have been through many hurricanes.  Lots of concern for Cat 4s and 5s.

I like reading the comments that everything is going to be okay.  They are reassuring.  But I'm thinking it's not okay....it's not even remotely okay.  I'm hoping to hear more about alternative ports and how and when that decision gets made.  Hoping that Lee makes a big right turn.

As for the how and when...those are usually game day decisions. The storm is still several days and quite a ways from making any sort of landfall, so the projected forecast can, and likely will, change. If cruiselines make a change today and say "we are changing our itinerary from ABC to DEF", by the time your cruise day comes , DEF may be now in the forecast track and ABC would have been ok all along.  If I recall correctly, Katrina wasn't supposed to hit New Orleans and Andrew (which I lived thru) wasn't supposed to hit South Florida initially...which explains the lack of preparation for both areas ahead of time. 

I would just go with the flow and be equally prepared for a cruise to the Bahamas as I would a cruise to Canada if I were in your situation. They will keep you safe and won't put you, the crew or their assets in danger.

Edited by stobe1
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, skywalkr2 said:

I am supposed to be heading up out of NYC to Nova Scotia next Saturday. I'm betting if any cruise will be impacted... it will be mine.

Which is ironic because I picked this cruise to escape hurricanes we had to dodge on my last September cruise in 2022.

I'm on that same cruise - Venezia NYC Sept 16 - fingers crossed. Booked it Dec 2021, yes almost 2 years ago. So I've got toes crossed, too.

I was supposed to be on a 6-day Bermuda cruise from Norfolk, VA departing on Sunday, 10 September, but that itinerary was totally changed. As of 8:30pm Eastern on 08 September, the Magic will be rerouted to Half Moon Cay, Nassau, and Freeport all in The Bahamas. Based on the assessment from Carnival Fleet Operations, The Bahamas seem to be a safe bet next week. If there will be impacts in The Bahamas, I could see that in tender/water shuttle ports like Half Moon Cay or Princess Cays. 

Checking the weather today and I am more optimistic.  Looks like its staying away from the East Coast and will become more of a Nor'Easter like storm when it will hit NB/NS late Saturday.  So if debarking on Saturday from NYC and getting to St John NB on Monday... should be fine I would expect?  Hopefully.