Tropical Storm Lee/Bahamas?

srobinet63

We leave Sunday 9/10 for the Bahamas from Port Canaveral. I am flying out in the morning to Tampa to spend a couple of days. My sister is freaking out and I am getting a little nervous myself..  If the storm goes towards the Bahamas where would be the most likely place Carnival would go instead?  I was thinking Mexico but I'm new to this.  This is only  my 2nd cruise and the first one in about 23 years.

It it's a major hurricane by early next week would they cancel the cruise?  This is the reason I told my brother he was nuts for sailing during September.  I somehow got talked into it and have too much invested now to cancel. 

Take a deep breath.  The best place to be during a major storm is at sea.  They know how to avoid the stuff and will adjust accordingly depending upon how the storm tracks.

We were on a Mexican Riviera cruise many years ago on the Spirit and the cruise ports just got totally reversed and we had smooth sailing.

We're leaving out of Miami on Saturday for 15 days on the Celebration on a B2B doing southern then eastern Caribbean.  Not worried in the least.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Take a deep breath.  The best place to be during a major storm is at sea.  They know how to avoid the stuff and will adjust accordingly depending upon how the storm tracks.

We were on a Mexican Riviera cruise many years ago on the Spirit and the cruise ports just got totally reversed and we had smooth sailing.

We're leaving out of Miami on Saturday for 15 days on the Celebration on a B2B doing southern then eastern Caribbean.  Not worried in the least.

I'll see you on the 17th then boarding Celebration on the backside of your B2B. Steady Sailing

If you eliminate hurricane season then you are eliminating months of cruising (June 1st to November 30th).  We have sailed many times during this season (just got off a cruise in mid August) and the cruise lines are very good at staying out of harms way.  Now you may get some rain or the ocean may rock and roll some, but this is not their first rodeo and you will be fine.  Make sure you have some ginger ale (or hard candy) and maybe some Bonine just in case.  Other than that, enjoy your cruise and have a blast!             

• Like 2

We're leaving on the Horizon on Sunday.  I'm not worried at all.  The storm will still be far enough at sea to not affect our getting our of Miami.  Beyond that, I trust Carnival to keep me safe.  My ports may change, but I'm still on a cruise, so it's all good!

Try not to stress about it.

• Like 5

I was out of Cape Canaveral last year while a Hurricane was raging through Grand Turk/Bahamas area.  We never saw or felt a thing.  We just missed all of our scheduled ports... and in fact the weather we encountered was probably better than what you would have on a scheduled itinerary.

Only issue is we had to go to Bimini for one day which is barely a port.

We leave out of Galveston on Saturday headed for the Bahamas.  I fully expect our itinerary to get changed.  We'll still have a good time no doubt, but it's very hard on OCD planners like me when your excursions get cancelled and you have to regroup.  LOL!  I would think it's difficult for the ships to find new ports with only a day or two of notice??  This will be our 43rd cruise, but we've never been rerouted due to a hurricane.

On 9/6/2023 at 9:17 AM, Homosassa said:

Good chance you will be rocking and rolling as the storm passes off at a distance.

Definitely pack your sea sickness aid of choice.

We did a Sensation cruise to Nassau 15-20 years ago with another hurricane with a similar track between the US and Bermuda and the return trip to port canaveral from Nassau was rocking and rolling quite a bit.

Wasn't too bad at sea, but when I went into a store back on land on the way home the next morning, it felt like we were still on the ship the night before.

Last track I saw had it going nowhere near any islands in the Caribbean or Bahamas and cutting directly between us here in Charleston, SC and Bermuda, heading towards a windy, rainy day somewhere north. (where if it hits in NY/NJ as a thunderstorm, it wil be called superstorm Lee)

8 hours ago, bguppies said:

(where if it hits in NY/NJ as a thunderstorm, it wil be called superstorm Lee)

If your implication is that Superstorm Sandy was nothing more than a thunderstorm overhyped by NY media, you are badly misinformed.

Per Wikipedia: Hurricane Sandy (unofficially referred to as Superstorm Sandy)[1][2] was an extremely destructive and strong Atlantic hurricane of late October 2012. It was the largest Atlantic hurricane on record as measured by diameter, with tropical-storm-force winds spanning 1,150 miles (1,850 km).[3][4][5] The storm inflicted nearly $70 billion (2012 USD) in damage and killed 233 people across eight countries from the Caribbean to Canada

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

20 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

If your implication is that Superstorm Sandy was nothing more than a thunderstorm overhyped by NY media, you are badly misinformed.

Per Wikipedia: Hurricane Sandy (unofficially referred to as Superstorm Sandy)[1][2] was an extremely destructive and strong Atlantic hurricane of late October 2012. It was the largest Atlantic hurricane on record as measured by diameter, with tropical-storm-force winds spanning 1,150 miles (1,850 km).[3][4][5] The storm inflicted nearly $70 billion (2012 USD) in damage and killed 233 people across eight countries from the Caribbean to Canada

We wish it was overhyped. So much destruction. There are still homes that haven't been rebuilt, sadly just abandoned. I was lucky by about 2 blocks as far as home getting flooded out. Lived there for 25 years and never seen anything like it.

• Thanks 1

My experience after being trapped at sea due to Hurricane Harvey

1. Park somewhere several feet above ground level. Many cars were flooded during Hurricane Harvey if they weren't on a raised parking level 

2. Make sure you have a full tank of gas- (the entire Southern half of Texas ran out of gas after Hurricane Harvey)

Otherwise, you're probably safe at sea as long as it doesn't hit on embarkation day. If it hits on disembarkation day you might get a few free days at sea like we did.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, bguppies said:

(where if it hits in NY/NJ as a thunderstorm, it wil be called superstorm Lee)

Sorry but I lived through Sandy (about 100 yards from the bay) and it is nothing I'll ever forget.  Stuck in my house for days while I was surrounded by water.   House flooded...I remember someone saying great we have power again now everything can get back to normal...for me when the power went back on we still had months...years to deal with the destruction.

Aloha. Having been blessed to cruise countless times since the 1970s we have cruised extensively during hurricane season.  That said one of the benefits of a cruise is that they can move the ship but not an island. Don’t mean to make fun but it is true. Yes a hurricane can cause extensive damage and that certainly is sad but for someone on vacation a cruise is a safer bet. This may not necessarily be true in other parts of the world but it certainly is a better bet if you are cruising the Caribbean during hurricane season.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bguppies said:

Definitely pack your sea sickness aid of choice.

We did a Sensation cruise to Nassau 15-20 years ago with another hurricane with a similar track between the US and Bermuda and the return trip to port canaveral from Nassau was rocking and rolling quite a bit.

Wasn't too bad at sea, but when I went into a store back on land on the way home the next morning, it felt like we were still on the ship the night before.

Last track I saw had it going nowhere near any islands in the Caribbean or Bahamas and cutting directly between us here in Charleston, SC and Bermuda, heading towards a windy, rainy day somewhere north. (where if it hits in NY/NJ as a thunderstorm, it wil be called superstorm Lee)

15-20 years ago the ships didn't have the stabilizers they have now.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

I feel for anyone affected in any way by any hurricane.  We had no electric for 12 days - and we were "lucky" compared to the people who lost their home and businesses.  Hoping Lee veers out to sea.  The cruise ships can avoid the storm - houses/business/people on land can't.

• Like 2

I am supposed to be heading up out of NYC to Nova Scotia next Saturday. I'm betting if any cruise will be impacted... it will be mine.

Which is ironic because I picked this cruise to escape hurricanes we had to dodge on my last September cruise in 2022.

13 hours ago, sammee said:

We wish it was overhyped. So much destruction. There are still homes that haven't been rebuilt, sadly just abandoned. I was lucky by about 2 blocks as far as home getting flooded out. Lived there for 25 years and never seen anything like it.

We live in Southern NJ, about 1/4 of the way going from Philly to Atlantic City.  We lucked out as the eye of the storm passed over us and we had no damage.  Friends of ours that are about 90 minutes northwest of us in the far suburbs of Philly got hit and luckily were only out of electricity for a few days.  Portions of the North NJ shore and along Long Island got crushed by the outer rings of the storm.

3 hours ago, Homosassa said:

You keep telling yourself that.

In a rough sea, the ship will still pitch, yaw, and roll.

The stabilizers can only do so much for only the roll.

But still, not everyone will be affected, or need meds.  We have done 50 cruises, in all kinds of seas, plus Navy and cargo ship, and have never once felt queasy or wished we had taken something.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

But still, not everyone will be affected, or need meds.  We have done 50 cruises, in all kinds of seas, plus Navy and cargo ship, and have never once felt queasy or wished we had taken something.

I agree.

I love feeling the motion of the ship and have never taken anything for sea sickness. We do book cabins that are low and amidships. It makes a difference when you can't walk in a straight line when you are high up and forward or aft.

However, I have a daughter who, as a baby, cried if I tried to rock her.  She starts the meclizine the morning we are to board ship.