NCL Prima Haven Iceland/Norway/Ams/Bruges/Southampton 7th -17th Sept

Markj

Nice brekky in the Haven then spent the morning in the Haven lounge reading. Has a look at the Obs lounge on deck 17 but it was busy and noisy!!! I miss the Bliss lounge!!!

However got two nice comfy chairs and pointed them at the window and it was very relaxing. The bar team were attentive with coffee and drinks too.

Indulge for lunch. Went at 1pm. It was busy but we had no problem with finding seats. Had pulled pork, Iberico ham and turkey sandwich. It was all good but the pictures and the reality or too far apart. People are (ridiculously) sueing McDonalds in the US because the picture and what you get served are too disparate - good job those people are not here! However it was all good and tasty and nowhere near the mayhem and melee of the Surfside grill.

Whilst we don't go to the main complimentary dining rooms an Austrian group on our table said they did but they were disappointed with a 40 minute wait each night at Hudson's!!! That doesn't sound great!! Maybe it's time to go back to reserved tables and sitting times??

World flag trivia this afty. Some show off got all 25 correct. Glad he spent his college years doing something so worthwhile. Hahaha

Lovely snack today with club and tuna sandwiches and choccy strawberries and Rex brings boiling water so we can make a nice cuppa!!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Nama for dinner in the evening. It was really good and some of the dishes that are not the traditional "sushi" are really good. You get 4 items on the dining package so between 2bof us we had plenty. I also had the sake flight of 4 sakes and they just kept topping em up. It was very good and we cancelled our Food Republic res so we can go back here . 

Price is right show at 930. Has a res for this and no probs with getting in. Was amazed to see people queuing for the 10pm Rumours show AT 845!!!:Completely ridiculous!!!  I read in the daillie that the shows in Syd Norman's and the Improv can't be in the main theatre due to "music license regulations". Utter ****!!!!

Next day was a 7am start for Mount Stranda. This was a long tour on a bus and the weather didn't help. Lunch was provided and it was OK. I was glad to be back at the ship and dinner in the Haven.  I had the prime rib and it was the size of half a cow and needed more jus.

Have to say the breakfasts and lunch in the Haven have been great but dinner is just a bit under par!!!

Overnight the ship moved so quietly from Alesund to Gerainger it didn't even wake me. Perfect crusing.

Gerainger is such an amazing setting and with the proposed cruise ship ban (unless it's a hybrid ship) we are very glad to be here

The tour took us up the mountain and although it was misty the drive up and the stops on the way back at Dalsnibba and Eagle Point were excellent. Hot choc and chocolate in Cafe Òle and then back on board for a soup and salad lunch to be good in the Haven.

Then slipped up and had Banana Banoffi Cream. Hahaha. It was delicious though 

Then some reading in the Haven lounge. There are a couple of green comfy chairs we turn to look out the window. They could put another dozen of these in here and it would make a lovely area to relax. Are you listening NCL!!!! (Probably not!!! )

• Like 4

Staff have been caught lieing about wait times for the MDR, not sure why. Last night my sister tried to go to Hudson (group of 4). They told her 30min wait at around 8:45. She said they would wait because they had no where else to go at that point. Within 5 mins they were seated. Happened to them twice so far on this trip which I find odd.

Edited by Sailing12Away
I can't type
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Staff have been caught lieing about wait times for the MDR, not sure why. Last night my sister tried to go to Hudson (group of 4). They told her 30min wait at around 8:45. She said they would wait because they had no where else to go at that point. Within 5 mins they were seated. Happened to them twice so far on this trip which I find odd.

I wouldn't refer to this situation as "lying".  I believe they are trying to curb expectations, since a table could become available rather quickly, OR, many tables could linger over an extended period of time.

Could also be they had tables finishing their meal and they were factoring in dessert time for the table.  If they don't have dessert then the table is emptied faster.

I'm also one who'd rather be told a longer time and then get a pleasant surprise if it's ready faster.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sailing12Away said:

The one time we were given a pager at Hudsons and told a waiting time (I don't remember how long), we also were called for a table within a few minutes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Markj said:

I read in the daillie that the shows in Syd Norman's and the Improv can't be in the main theatre due to "music license regulations". Utter ****!!!!

it's not utter nonsense, which is what i assume you mean. but it's not accurate.

with regard to syd's, it's not music licensing per se. it's the contract with the folks who created the show. part of the unique nature of the show is the small venue and the intimacy. they will not move it to the theatre because the creative artists behind the show believe it won't be the same show in the vacuous theatre. and i happen to agree with them. also, it's in the contract that it can only play in the venue named after the show... syd is a fictitious character and you're watching the show in his club. the club is part of the show.

with regard to the improv, all comedy that was formerly housed in the improv has moved to the theatre. at least that's the way it was on my B2B in may and june.  which other shows perform in the improv? when i was onboard, it was an endless parade of lectures, trivia and crafts seminars,... no actual bonafide entertaiment.

• Like 1

Yeah I completely agree with all that you say. I do a great deal of work in the music industry so ASCAP and PRS is something I deal with regularly as are music industry contracts. I've had bands play on ships and the contracts are usually pretty flexible.

However, as you say we won't know what the specific contract details are with the groups in the Prima but to say it's down to licensing is hokey!!

Los Lobos for dinner. Probably the bets Mexican we have been in on NCL. The service and food were exceptional and the Maragaritas in there are the best on the ship.

Next day was Bergen. We decided not to do any tours as we were toured out and this was a good choice. Bergen is a lovely town to walk and with google its easy to see everything worth seeing and you get a really good feel of the place. Goats just laying on the path at the top of Floyen were lovely to see and there were some delicious Norwegian pastries in the Fish Market café.

Back to the ship and out to the sun deck as the sun was bright and shiny. Loved the infinity pool and the lovely deck staff were so happy to actually be serving drinks poolside. Best service on the ship!!!

Dinner was at Onda this night and again it was very good. They've made the restaurant compact but I think it gives off a real Italian feel,  Food wine and service were all good and the sommelier was good in serving us wine by the glass but basically keeping the bottle for us in the ice bucket. Theres a $29 dollar glass of red too which was tipped up so the P+ was well used.

Cocktails in the Haven with the new friends from around the Haven and Rommel made an Espresso martini with Rub the server in Onda's face., The Ruby came to see it. It was a lovely moment!!

Today has been a day at sea which began with UK immigration. Haven were invited between 730 and 830. Whilst this is early it meant we didnt have to queue. However the immigration team used the Obs lounge all day so it put another indoor space out of action for the day.

Did plenty of Trivia and credit to Simon (CD) for his Triviaganza, its well done and very entertaining.

Lunch in the Local Coney Island Hot dog and Choc fudge Sunday. Food in here is very good and if I didnt have the Haven I would probably lunch here every day. Guests are seated to its not the bun fight of Indulge.

Booked a hop on hop off bus and boat tour in Amsterdam - 80 Euros!!!

• Like 1

Dinner was in Nama again and it was as excellent as the first time and we were so well looked after 

Next day and into Amsterdam. It's great that the ship docks in the city as you can just stroll off. The hop on hop off bus was OK but as we were on the first one it was very busy. Did the whole tour and then transferred to the boat. Made a mistake booking a hop on hop off boat as the time between boats was too long at 45 mins so I would recommend just doing the hour long ful tour.

Had bacon and cheese and banana and chocolate pancakes coz we hadn't had any food hahaha!!??

Back on board and out to the Haven sun deck and pool. Although the pool was at sailing depth so a bit low!!; It was at full depth in Bergen then lowered as we set off and we never saw it full again .

Dinner in Cagneys. This is the biggest sig restaurant and for us the worst. It's not terrible but the service was robotic and the food was just "OK"

Dropped into the Ocean Fest at sea show in the theatre and thought is was good for 30 mins then meh then good at the end. Mixing musical styles doesn't work for me

Haven Bar as usual and some Espressomartinis. 

Edited by Markj

Next day was Bruges. With the ship arriving at 10 instead of 7 it made things a bit tight. Then in the end it docked at 11. 

Don't know who designed this cruise terminal but they obviously don't cruise. You can't walk off the ship to get our of the port but have to take a shuttle bus for 2 mins. Plus everyone crowds the decks and stairs and get told off by Simon the CD. We saw the busses start at the forward exit and watched as he open the aft. Then walked off 15 mins after the melee

There is a desk to buy tickets for a shuttle bus to Bruges for 25 Euros round trip. Nice and easy with options on bus times to come back from 1 to 330. 

Had a lovely day in Bruges. Make sure you do a canal boat trip. As a tip don't get in line at the first 2 or 3 you see. There are about 10 places to get them so walkthrough the town and get on one that's further away. No line got straight on 12euros

Back to the ship for about 4pm. And the silly shuttle. Then some more pool and deck cocktails in the afternoon sun.

Dinner in Palomar again tonight. It's the team from the Haven brekky and lunch so they knew us. Delicious tuna and Dover sole.

Popped into Syd Norman's for half an hour. Standing room only. So has to laugh when someone tapped me on the shoulder and asked me to move. I mean, to where. Hahaha

Closed out the Haven Bar with new friends Chad James and Kyle (see her thread Prima with no hot tubs for all the pictures!!!). Rommel made some specials and some mini shots with our faces on. 

• Like 1

Arrived back into Southampton nicely on time. They started debarkation from about 630. So we had time for one last breakfast and then got off at 8. We take our own bags so we know we have them!! I had booked a taxi with West Cars and they picked us up at 830.

The walk off the ship is long as the gangway snakes back and forth and then there is a bit of a mess when you come out of the terminal as there are no signs.

However - booked cars and taxis are in the first road. Then in the central are there is a queue for taxis and then your busses further on. It's all close though so easy to ask someone if you can't find what you're looking for

Then unusually for us after a cruise we are back in the UK and so it's a 2 hour train journey home

So in summary:

The cruise was excellent. The destinations are well worth going to and Prima is a lovely ship with a great team on board. I've already made mention of the lack of indoor areas and we missed the Haven observation lounge of the Bliss.

The shows were good and varied and with a bit of planning it's easy to see everything.

With regard to the speciality restaurants we rate them as follows

Nama Palomar Los Lobos

Onda

Le Bistro

Cagneys

The Haven was great for lunch and brekky but not up to par for dinner. 

Lunch in the Local was excellent. It's was OK at Indulge.

That's it for now. Home soon for a nice cuppa and no food for a fortnight!! 🤣🤣🤣

If anyone has any questions then I'll be happy to help

• Like 5

We've got mixed feelings on this ship. Looks lovely, and we like the concepts they were going for - but the execution sucked donkey balls. Combine that with the egregious price we paid, and it's left an overall sour taste in our mouths.

I would never book the H4 room ever again. Not even close to being worth it for the money we paid. Even if the hot tub did work - I would never pay more than 12-15K for it, and only if we were headed to warm weather where you can sit out there on the balcony. Lots of square footage, but whoever designed the interior was a blind idiot. So much wasted space, and despite being a large room my sister in the oceanview had more storage and space for little things than we did. Honestly, how hard is it for them to put a shelf into the shower like they have on every single other cabin?

Always felt like we were plowing our way through a crowd - not sure if we were just surrounded by idiots who like to stop in the middle of a hallway and be in the way, if I was just overall grumpy with a low level of tolerance (most likely), or if the flow of traffic was just not thought out well. After 10 days still couldn't figure out how to get to the front of the ship on deck 8 without going outside to go back in.

Compared to other trips, despite all the Haven things being together in the aft, it felt really disconnected. The private elevator was a great touch, but even then it felt like folks had to make a conscious effort to go to the bar which left it mostly empty. Lots of hiccups, not a bad overall experience, but just not what we were used to on any of our other NCL trips.

I'm willing to try Viva at the right price to see Beetlejuice, but would probably just take a club balcony suite and skip Haven. We used the pool once, got help fixing our dinner reservations when the pre-cruise concierge screwed them up, and got off the ship in about 5 mins today when we left. Other than that, we didn't experience any other perks for being Haven guests beyond free room service and daily snacks.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

We've got mixed feelings on this ship. Looks lovely, and we like the concepts they were going for - but the execution sucked donkey balls

We are on the same page here and with the H4 lack of storage and odd design. I’ll skip the Viva and see what the next ship looks like. In the meantime we are cruising on other ships and lines.  I’m glad you had a fun cruise (looked like it) despite the hiccups. Safe flights home! Thanks for taking us along. See you in the other place. 🐀

• Like 2