Train and alaska Wildlife Center

Luv2cruz1000

We are planning to leave Anchorage by train, and get off in Portage for the wildlife center. Is there a shuttle to the center where the train let's off? I understand it is a bit of a walk to the center. Also concerned for time to meet the train to continue on the journey. I believe this is done often, just can't find the package anymore on Alaska train website. Thanks

According to their website FAQs there are no shuttle buses to the Wildlife Conservation Center and it’s a 1.5 mile walk from the Portage Station to the entrance. Not a bad walk but you’d be walking along the highway shoulder much of the way.  It’s about 1 mile to complete the loop within the center. You might contact them directly by phone or email for transportation options.

• Like 1

The Alaska Railroad offers some packaged tours through its website that includes visitation to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, with some type of transfer provided to and from the Portage station. But there's no formal shuttle for independent travelers, and the area is rural and isolated such that it is very unlikely that independent transportation, by taxi of otherwise, could be arranged. Might you be able to use the railroad's transfer service? Might someone at the wildlife center make a quick run to the station to pick you up? Possibly, though I would not count on it.

If you're anticipating southbound travel from Anchorage, looking to stop off at Portage, while the passenger train makes the trip to Whittier and return, before continuing southward towards Spencer and Grandview, then you will have about 2-1/2 hours at Portage for completion of your plan. As noted, it is about 1-1/2 miles to walk each way along the highway shoulder. The shoulder is sufficiently wide enough to not be unreasonable, though not everyone is comfortable walking along rural highways. Give yourself half an hour each way for the walk, and that you leave you between an hour and 90 minutes to visit the center.

Edited by GTJ

8 hours ago, Luv2cruz1000 said:

We are planning to leave Anchorage by train, and get off in Portage for the wildlife center. Is there a shuttle to the center where the train let's off? I understand it is a bit of a walk to the center. Also concerned for time to meet the train to continue on the journey. I believe this is done often, just can't find the package anymore on Alaska train website. Thanks

Are you traveling independently?   Where does the continuation of the journey take you?  Alaska Wildlife Safari tour on the Alaska Railroad is over for 2023.  It ends mid September.  Maybe 2024 will have it available again.  You can still find the itinerary online.   

Edited by oaktreerb