Brightline Rail

Mahini

Anybody else looking at using Brightline Rail to get to a cruise port?  Was considering using them from Orlando airport to Fort Lauderdale for a cruise the end of October, and had absolute sticker shock when I priced out the trip.  I would be flying in from Detroit, and my husband would be coming from Daytona Beach and meeting me at the airport.  Since I would then be flying back to Detroit from Fort Lauderdale, we would need 1 round trip ticket and 1 one-way.  Priced out to over $300.  Wow!  

I booked a roundtrip in December to catch my HAL cruise. I had a coupon code for 30% off and am traveling solo, so my ticket was cheaper than that. I figure with parking ($120), gas, and aggravation, it's coming out about even with driving. I'm testing it out because I'd also like to use it in May when I'm taking a transatlantic. I don't want to have to rent a car one-way to get to the port in that case.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

I booked a roundtrip in December to catch my HAL cruise. I had a coupon code for 30% off and am traveling solo, so my ticket was cheaper than that. I figure with parking ($120), gas, and aggravation, it's coming out about even with driving. I'm testing it out because I'd also like to use it in May when I'm taking a transatlantic. I don't want to have to rent a car one-way to get to the port in that case.

Please do post about your experience.  I'm still the chauffeur for two more cruises, but hoping to try Brightline for a spring TA.  I'm really sick of the drive, one-way car rental, and always looking at "free parking" in hotel search.  

Be careful with Brightline, I live in South Florida and use them to go from West Palm to Miami as it is quicker and cheaper then driving and parking. A couple of times there has been an accident on the rail line and it will stop all north and south bound train traffic. I missed a concert in Miami due to the trains being delayed. For some reason South Floridians think they can drive around a train gate with the train going 100 MPH. Suicide by train is also very popular. 

The rates were just announced last week as train service is beginning September 22 to Orlando, I also thought it was pricy too. 

1 hour ago, hrhdhd said:

I contacted the hotel we are staying at the night before the cruise, and will only be paying a hair under $40 for parking with them for 8 days.  Their shuttle service from the hotel to the port is $9 per person, so even with the cost of gas, we will be well under the cost of the rail service.  Very disappointed, since we were looking forward to riding the train.  

8 minutes ago, Mahini said:

I contacted the hotel we are staying at the night before the cruise, and will only be paying a hair under $40 for parking with them for 8 days.  Their shuttle service from the hotel to the port is $9 per person, so even with the cost of gas, we will be well under the cost of the rail service.  Very disappointed, since we were looking forward to riding the train.  

Those numbers look good--but how much is your hotel room? I'm riding down the day of the cruise, so also saving a night's hotel.

1 hour ago, goofysmom99 said:

Please do post about your experience.  I'm still the chauffeur for two more cruises, but hoping to try Brightline for a spring TA.  I'm really sick of the drive, one-way car rental, and always looking at "free parking" in hotel search.  

I shall post upon my return! 😀

18 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

Those numbers look good--but how much is your hotel room? I'm riding down the day of the cruise, so also saving a night's hotel.

We were staying at the hotel whether we took the rail or not, since I am flying down from Detroit, and coming in the day before.  So the hotel is a fixed cost in our travel plans.  With all the airline issues, I am not willing to fly in the morning of the cruise.

• Like 1