Live from... Silver Origin. Sept. 16-23, 2023

twangster

@twangsterI can't even begin to tell you how much I appreciate your wonderful trip report and the gorgeous photos!  We are going on this same itinerary in November and I had been frustrated that I wasn't finding any detailed day-to-day posts about this cruise.  I came back from a trip out of town and was delighted to see your wonderful Live report.  Thank you!

I'm sure that I will have a ton of questions, so I hope that you will bear with me.  

I'll just start by asking about your first excursion day.  I'm trying to gauge what will be feasible for me.  I see that you did both the "adventurous" hike and the "easy" hike on that day.  Was it primarily the steep steps that made the first hike "adventurous"?  Or were there other aspects that made it challenging?  Looking back, did you find that they were both fairly equally worthwhile?  I notice that you chose not to do kayaking - did you happen to talk to anyone who did the kayaking that first excursion day?  If so, how did they think it compared to the hikes?

Thanks again - your detailed info, photos, and the Chronicles are helping me to get more and more excited about our upcoming trip!

2 hours ago, barbpretz said:

@twangsterI can't even begin to tell you how much I appreciate your wonderful trip report and the gorgeous photos!  We are going on this same itinerary in November and I had been frustrated that I wasn't finding any detailed day-to-day posts about this cruise.  I came back from a trip out of town and was delighted to see your wonderful Live report.  Thank you!

I'm sure that I will have a ton of questions, so I hope that you will bear with me.  

I'll just start by asking about your first excursion day.  I'm trying to gauge what will be feasible for me.  I see that you did both the "adventurous" hike and the "easy" hike on that day.  Was it primarily the steep steps that made the first hike "adventurous"?  Or were there other aspects that made it challenging?  Looking back, did you find that they were both fairly equally worthwhile?  I notice that you chose not to do kayaking - did you happen to talk to anyone who did the kayaking that first excursion day?  If so, how did they think it compared to the hikes?

Thanks again - your detailed info, photos, and the Chronicles are helping me to get more and more excited about our upcoming trip!

On the first day, yes it was the steep climb up Prince Philip's Steps, so named because the Prince almost fell.  

Cruise lines have a wide range of guests booking these cruises.  Some young, some old, some young but with mobility challenges, some old with no mobility challenges.  They attempt to label excursions hoping to make guests aware of the nature of an activity so each guest can make a determination about their own ability to participate.  

I've hiked fourteeners - mountains in the Rockies that are over 14,000 feet high.  My opinion of "adventurous" is wildly different than the cruise line but I understand why they have to use these labels. 

Every activity was pretty special in its own way.  There was always an opportunity to see something.  If someone went on the adventurous and easy hike five days in a row some days one would be better than the other but not necessarily the harder or easier one.  No one knows.  No one controls the wildlife and what you see on each is not guaranteed.  

When I go back I'll see different things.  I could repeat the same itinerary over and over and see different things at the same stops.  

Kayaking choices were largely because I couldn't bring my camera.  They do warn you that kayaking is only available where the Park allows it and if the conditions permit it.  They are only allowed to have eight, two seat kayaks on board.  Those are Park rules.  If you choose not to go on the first opportunity it's possible all remaining opportunities might not happen because of weather or sea conditions. 

People I talked are glad they kayaked.  

• Thanks 2

@twangsterThank you for your reply - it was very helpful.

I realize that these things are subjective, but I would value your opinion:  How cold did the water feel when snorkeling?  Did you wear the shortie wet suit provided?  Did you wear anything else for warmth when snorkeling?  In your lovely photo (Post 69), what were you wearing on your face?

Thanks again!

23 minutes ago, barbpretz said:

@twangsterThank you for your reply - it was very helpful.

I realize that these things are subjective, but I would value your opinion:  How cold did the water feel when snorkeling?  Did you wear the shortie wet suit provided?  Did you wear anything else for warmth when snorkeling?  In your lovely photo (Post 69), what were you wearing on your face?

Thanks again!

The water was fine until we went West.  The Western most islands are influenced by the Cromwell current that moves along the sea floor.  When it reaches the island of the Galapagos the current forces the water to rise up from the depths of the ocean to the surface.   

There is an abundance of nutrients that come with it from the seafloor along with the cold water from the depths.  That was day four.  The water was distinctly cooler upon jumping in, but after a few minutes it was fine.  I could have snorkelled longer but it was "fresh".  

I used the shorty wetsuit provided by the ship, nothing else.  Some guests brought their own but most used the ship provided snorkel gear and wetsuit.  

We placed our snorkel gear in a bag that had our suite number on it.  There is an "A" bag and a "B" bag for each suite.  We hang this with our wetsuit after each snorkel after rinsing them in a freshwater tank.  They store them in the marina area so you don't have a dripping wetsuit in your suite.  The bag with suite number on the wetsuit hanger means you keep the same wetsuit for the duration.  

I wore a long sleeve rash guard top under the wetsuit.  That makes it easier to get in and out of the wetsuit.  When we got back to the ship after a snorkel we would take off the wetsuit in the marina so it was nice to have a rash guard on as a shirt for walking back to the suite.   

The face covering was a "neck gaiter".  I bought a six pack from Amazon.  Wearing low on the neck, like a necklace helps to keep the sun off the neck.  When the sun was strong in my face I could raise it up and cover my face from the sun.  It also kept the sun off the back of my neck.  

I tied one of the neck gaiters to my camera neck strap so I could protect it from any sea spray from the zodiac when we going at high speed.  I'd pull the gaiter down over the lens when I wasn't taking pictures but could easily pull it back when I wanted to take a photo.

Neck gaiters are versatile and can be used for many things.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C754PL4V?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Rash guard example

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C1BNC1ZC?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

• Thanks 1

@twangsterAgain, thanks so much for your detailed, helpful reply.  My neck gaiters from Amazon already came today, so I'm feeling more and more prepared.  

I'll just ask my random questions as I think of them.  I did a lot of research before I had decided on Silversea Origin over Celebrity Flora, so I apologize if I have some of my information confused between the two cruise lines.

1)  On the first sheet you posted from Silversea, under Recommendations for the Galapagos, they list only 3 items:  Appropriate footwear, rain gear, and insect repellent.  I don't recall anyone mentioning that they needed raingear.  Did you bring/use any?  Did they supply ponchos in the cabins?  How were the insects?

2)  My notes mention that someone said they recommended gloves for a long, difficult hike through a dry river bed.  They also mentioned a muddy tree-planting experience.  Am I correct in thinking that neither of these were on your itinerary?

Thanks!

21 hours ago, barbpretz said:

@twangsterAgain, thanks so much for your detailed, helpful reply.  My neck gaiters from Amazon already came today, so I'm feeling more and more prepared.  

I'll just ask my random questions as I think of them.  I did a lot of research before I had decided on Silversea Origin over Celebrity Flora, so I apologize if I have some of my information confused between the two cruise lines.

1)  On the first sheet you posted from Silversea, under Recommendations for the Galapagos, they list only 3 items:  Appropriate footwear, rain gear, and insect repellent.  I don't recall anyone mentioning that they needed raingear.  Did you bring/use any?  Did they supply ponchos in the cabins?  How were the insects?

2)  My notes mention that someone said they recommended gloves for a long, difficult hike through a dry river bed.  They also mentioned a muddy tree-planting experience.  Am I correct in thinking that neither of these were on your itinerary?

Thanks!

Ecuador and the Galapagos are known for two seasons.  The dry season and the rainy season.  

My trip occurred in the dry season and we were very fortunate with the weather.  We had a tiny amount of sprinkles at Montemar when we were looking at the giant Tortoises but other than that we had no rain.  Our guides told us the week before didn't have the same great weather.  It's the weather.  It's out of everyone's control.  

Silversea did provide two vinyl ponchos that were very well made, thick vinyl ponchos as opposed to some lightweight thin film ponchos.  I never had to use them or take them off the shelf from the walk-in closet.

Towards the end of our week on Santa Fe there were some bugs but not anything that were a big issue but then again I was there in the dry season.  During the wet or rainy season the island vegetation is a lot greener and more dense.  There would also be more bugs.

I think I mentioned I'd like to go back on a different itinerary.  The dry river bed walk and muddy tree experience must occur on a different itinerary or in the wet season.  I can't imagine planting anything in the dry season. 

On an expedition cruise the expedition leader will adapt to suit the conditions on that day.  I'm sure they have a long list of primary and alternate experiences depending on the conditions they are presented with.  That's all part of the experience so what I have posted may not be the original or primary activities yet I enjoyed every single tour and activity.   

The Flora was built first and the Origin followed.  They are effectively sister ships built in the same shipyard but finished differently.  I too looked at the Flora but chose the Silver Origin.  I'm glad I did.  I'm sure the Flora is a fine ship and the activities are likely very similar but it's not the Silversea experience.  I've already booked my next Silversea expedition cruise based on my Galapagos experience.

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, barbpretz said:

Do you recall if they offered any guided stargazing sessions?  Did you do any stargazing (with or without guides)?

They did offer stargazing with a guide.  The first attempt was clouded over so cancelled, the second attempt was a success but I was exhausted and went to bed early that night.  From what I heard other cruisers stated it was really good.   The guide had a laser pointer of some kind he could point in the sky as he talked about various constellations and planets.  I'm sorry I missed it.

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1

You are a fabulous source of information - thanks again!

How comfortable were you in the water?  Some people report that they wore rash guards, neck gaiters, swim pants, gloves, and booties in addition to the provided shortie wetsuit.  So far, we have long-sleeved rash guards and neck gaiters.  Would you also recommend swim pants, gloves and booties?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much for this information, Twangster.  This is amazing.  I am looking at booking I the June 15 Galapagos departure on Silverseas Origin.  It is the other itinerary Silverseas runs, not the one you just completed.  I have been asking the booking agents for details and they have not been able to provide detailed answers to my questions.  Your posts have been so incredibly helpful.  I have two questions.

1.  When it is “deep sea” snorkeling, how deep is the water and how strong are the currents there? I am trying to decide if the trip is appropriate for my tween aged child.

2 .  If we go, I am going to book port-to-port so that I can book my own air and go to Mashpi Lodge before the cruise.  As a result I will have to arrange my own ground transport from the Quito airport to the JW Marriott.  Does anyone have a suggestion for a reliable car service?  I asked the concierge at the JW Marriott and they gave me an email address for a company called Tours Milenium but I cannot find the company’s website, Facebook page, or anything else about it.  I just want to make sure I have a dependable and safe choice for transport given that we will be arriving to Quito late at night due to the flight schedules.

Thanks in advance for any info!

• Like 1

On 10/9/2023 at 6:22 PM, barbpretz said:

You are a fabulous source of information - thanks again!

How comfortable were you in the water?  Some people report that they wore rash guards, neck gaiters, swim pants, gloves, and booties in addition to the provided shortie wetsuit.  So far, we have long-sleeved rash guards and neck gaiters.  Would you also recommend swim pants, gloves and booties?

I was fine using the provided shorty wetsuit.  If you tend to get cold you might bring some of your own gear.    

On 11/30/2023 at 3:10 PM, Luv-2-Travel-Everywhere said:

Thank you so much for this information, Twangster.  This is amazing.  I am looking at booking I the June 15 Galapagos departure on Silverseas Origin.  It is the other itinerary Silverseas runs, not the one you just completed.  I have been asking the booking agents for details and they have not been able to provide detailed answers to my questions.  Your posts have been so incredibly helpful.  I have two questions.

1.  When it is “deep sea” snorkeling, how deep is the water and how strong are the currents there? I am trying to decide if the trip is appropriate for my tween aged child.

2 .  If we go, I am going to book port-to-port so that I can book my own air and go to Mashpi Lodge before the cruise.  As a result I will have to arrange my own ground transport from the Quito airport to the JW Marriott.  Does anyone have a suggestion for a reliable car service?  I asked the concierge at the JW Marriott and they gave me an email address for a company called Tours Milenium but I cannot find the company’s website, Facebook page, or anything else about it.  I just want to make sure I have a dependable and safe choice for transport given that we will be arriving to Quito late at night due to the flight schedules.

Thanks in advance for any info!

There was "basic" and "advanced" snorkeling.  On the advanced excursions on some tours there was more current depending on the waters that day.  Generally speaking I didn't find any excursion to be strenuous or challenging.  They have a range of guests and some may be not as mobile so the warnings and labels they apply are there to help those that aren't as mobile to make a decision to participate or not. 

It would be hard for me to advise about your tweens without knowing them.  If they are comfortable swimmers and have snorkeled before I can't imagine they would have issues.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

@twangster, I’ve finally made it here. I wanted to be sure I would be able to savor the experience as I visit the Galapagos through your eyes and your camera lenses. I’m glad I waited. This review is spectacular! I’m here for the rest of this journey.

• Like 1

@twangster, thank you very much for this wonderful, informative and entertaining review. Your pictures, as always were awesome as well. I really hope I will be able to go on a Galapagos excursion of my own at some point. Unfortunately for me, now is not that time as obligations on the home front need to take priority. That said, your pictures and descriptions gave me a feel for what my future experience might be like and I thank you very much for that.

You mentioned that you already have another Galapagos cruise booked. Do you mind sharing when that will be so I can follow along with you rather than months later like I’ve done this time?  If I can’t go myself right now then following along with you would be the next best thing! Thanks

• Like 1