What's different about the Sapphire from the Golden and Coral?

Nitemare

We've been on Golden twice, and Coral once (also on Sea Princess), and are sailing on the Sapphire this summer. What are the important differences between the Sapphire and those other ships?

I know PC dining is different, I'd love a synopsis of the choices with the multiple PC dining rooms. Also any tips on pools and hot tubs, would love to know if we need to get to the theater half an hour before shows to get a decent seat, etc. etc.

THANKS!!

We've been on the Diamond as well as the Grand and the Golden, so I can give you a good idea of the differences. The Wheelhouse Bar is much improved -- it's in the space used for the steakhouse/former TexMex restaurant on the Grand ships, has lots of lovely sitting areas and a great dance floor. The internet cafe is in the usual Wheelhouse spot, has a coffee bar and is a really light and airy space. The Promenade deck has loungers, which we thought was a great improvement. Skywalker's is lower, not as elevated but it still has great views and gives the ship a smoother line. There is a great small bar, called the Wake Bar I think, down a spiral staircase from Club Fusion. And, finally, there are the 4 anytime DRs --- each has a different decor and ambiance, and each has a special entree available any night in addition to the regular menu --- it was chicken or beef fajitas in SantaFe, a pork chop in Savoy, a shrimp and scallop stirfry in Pacific Moon, veal osso bucco in Vivaldi. We had no trouble getting a seat at the shows and very little trouble finding seats by the pool -- the upper decks are identical to the Grand ships, as far as I recall. We loved the Diamond!!

Perhaps over simplistic, but Sapphire/Diamond are but modifications of the basic Grand class (Golden is Grand class). Sapphire & Diamond were buit in Japan, while Grand class built in Italy.

Coral/Island completely different class of ship, with different hull design and propulsion system, and were built in France.

Coral/Island are Panamax ships, and can traverse Panama Canal. Sapphire/Diamond, and Grand class are post-Panamax, and cannot fit through the locks!

I personally prefer Coral/Island, but that is very subjective.

Archived