Passport Query

eric4395

Just now, zap99 said:

In about the last year of validity we check when we have a window of a month ,or so with no foreign travel planed. That's when the passport goes off for renewal. Preferably about 6 months, ish.

Yes exactly as I will be doing prob b4 end of year as it will be next year b4 we holiday again.

As far as we were concerned everything was/ is in order to do this cruise it's not like we have been caught out by bad planning. It's because p& o never let us check in online yesterday & it was  the first sign of alarm bells ringing for us. However looking at the replies there is no reason that we won't be allowed on the ship on embarkation day.

• Like 1

Just a note of caution Eric, as I had a similar issue with Cunard a few weeks ago. My passport had approx  5.5 months of validity left on our return date so the online check in wouldn’t work. The countries we were visiting had no stipulated dates so was fine for them so I called Cunard. They checked and were adamant that their T&C state 6 months and there would no movement to this. I would think that P&O conditions are similar and if so I would advocate getting a new passport ASAP. 

Just now, Castro and Millie said:

Just a note of caution Eric, as I had a similar issue with Cunard a few weeks ago. My passport had approx  5.5 months of validity left on our return date so the online check in wouldn’t work. The countries we were visiting had no stipulated dates so was fine for them so I called Cunard. They checked and were adamant that their T&C state 6 months and there would no movement to this. I would think that P&O conditions are similar and if so I would advocate getting a new passport ASAP. 

I think post 8 covers that in my case everything will be ok

2 minutes ago, Castro and Millie said:

I suggest you were misinformed by Cunard as their rules don't say that - 

Passports and Visa (cunard.com)

Cunard guests can only board and travel to EU or Schengen area countries* if their passport was issued less than 10 years from date of embarkation.

The passport must have at least three months left before the date of expiry when you disembark (regardless of whether or not the passport has an extension period).

For cruises that travel outside the EU or Schengen area, in line with the requirements of many of these countries, guests are required to have six months validity left on their passports from the date of final disembarkation.

All passports should have sufficient blank pages for entry and exit stamps (applicable to the length and ports of call in your itinerary).

*EU countries include: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden. Additional countries in the Schengen area include: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

P&O's rules are (unsurprisingly since they are the same company) worded almost exactly the same  - 

Check Your Passport & Visa Requirements | P&O Cruises (pocruises.com)

P&O Cruises guests can only board and travel to EU or Schengen area countries* if their passport was issued less than 10 years from the cruise embarkation date.

The passport must have at least three months left before the date of expiry when you disembark (regardless of whether or not the passport has an extension period).

For cruises that travel outside the EU or Schengen area, in line with the requirements of many of these countries, guests are required to have six months validity left on their passports from the date of final disembarkation.

All passports should have sufficient blank pages for entry and exit stamps (applicable to the length and ports of call in your itinerary).

*EU countries include: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden. Additional countries in the Schengen area include: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

This applies to British Citizen passports however, if you hold a different passport then you should contact the relevant embassies or consulates to confirm your entry requirements. 

If you do not possess the correct documentation you will be denied boarding, without any refund of the cruise fare and subject to any fine or other costs incurred by P&O Cruises.

Just now, 9265359 said:

I suggest you were misinformed by Cunard as their rules don't say that - 

Passports and Visa (cunard.com)

Cunard guests can only board and travel to EU or Schengen area countries* if their passport was issued less than 10 years from date of embarkation.

P&O's rules are (unsurprisingly since they are the same company) worded almost exactly the same  - 

Check Your Passport & Visa Requirements | P&O Cruises (pocruises.com)

P&O Cruises guests can only board and travel to EU or Schengen area countries* if their passport was issued less than 10 years from the cruise embarkation date.

This applies to British Citizen passports however, if you hold a different passport then you should contact the relevant embassies or consulates to confirm your entry requirements. 

If you do not possess the correct documentation you will be denied boarding, without any refund of the cruise fare and subject to any fine or other costs incurred by P&O Cruises.

Thanks so going by this I see  no reason as to not being allowed to board. The only inconvenience is having to check in at the port rather than online. I expect p,& o to substantiate this tomorrow.

On 9/16/2023 at 10:51 AM, tiggis said:

The one consolation is that new passports are currently being processed in around one week, assuming you apply online. Make sure you get photos that are verified and come with a code (which you enter during the application process and avoids the need to scan a photo).

My wife renewded  her passport last week and you dont have to scan a photo, on the online application form when you get to the part where it asks for your photo you get the choice to use one taken by your phone, you just take a photo and then then it automatically opens your photos and you pick the one you want to use, the form even tells you if its an acceptable photo.

1 hour ago, eric4395 said:

That's what I'm thinking I keep getting updates on this post 

Maybe someone has up to date 1 st hand knowledge of my question open up the thread  but no it's  a lot of havering about nonsense, plugs, brexit etc🙂

Hi Eric.  This topic came up back in April.  Have a look at this thread as it might help you with some information. I can confirm that this poster did get onboard and sailed!

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

That was caused by the unmentionable organisation...

Anyway, back to passports (oh look, I have three!)

The sooner the EUelectronic visa comes in the better. I'm getting a nice collection of stamps in my passport. At this rate I will need a new passport well before 10 years.

On 9/17/2023 at 4:12 PM, Dermotsgirl said:

Please let us know the outcome

That's my travel agent who just so happens to be my niece 🙂

Confirmed she has doubled checked with p&o customer services and all is well for me to check in at port.

The 6 months scenario is just a standard email covering themselves.

EU countries we visit are all 3 months just as previous posters have confirmed.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, zap99 said:

The sooner the EUelectronic visa comes in the better. I'm getting a nice collection of stamps in my passport. At this rate I will need a new passport well before 10 years.

Fortunately some of us won't have to take part in that scheme and currently don't have to get stamps in our passport.

22 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

Fortunately some of us won't have to take part in that scheme and currently don't have to get stamps in our passport.

When you are a grey haired old wrinkley you won't be able to look back at the stamps in your old passports.🤣

2 hours ago, 9265359 said:

Unfortunately my French, Danish and Irish Ancestry is too far back to allow me to claim a passport from any of those countries. 

3 hours ago, eric4395 said:

That's my travel agent who just so happens to be my niece 🙂

Confirmed she has doubled checked with p&o customer services and all is well for me to check in at port.

The 6 months scenario is just a standard email covering themselves.

EU countries we visit are all 3 months just as previous posters have confirmed.

Glad you got it resolved