Acropolis

Giantfan13

We have never been to Greece and wanted to see the Acropolis very much. Here's the deal though. I am an 'elderly' senior who walks with a stick or a cane. I am pretty mobile but after hearing about the 80 steps to climb the Acropolis (about 6 staircases) I don't know what that might do to my knees. I have heard there is an elevator there for handicapped people. Would I be able to use this? Is there anything special you would have to do to be able to use it?

If I book a tour with the ship or a private tour company, would that make a difference if I had to use the elevator when everyone else is climbing?

And lastly, we really have no intention of going to the museum, so does being at the Acropolis mean a big difference from say, seeing up close and personal, but not actually up there in it?

Cheers

Len

2 hours ago, Giantfan13 said:

We have never been to Greece and wanted to see the Acropolis very much. Here's the deal though. I am an 'elderly' senior who walks with a stick or a cane. I am pretty mobile but after hearing about the 80 steps to climb the Acropolis (about 6 staircases) I don't know what that might do to my knees. I have heard there is an elevator there for handicapped people. Would I be able to use this? Is there anything special you would have to do to be able to use it?

If I book a tour with the ship or a private tour company, would that make a difference if I had to use the elevator when everyone else is climbing?

And lastly, we really have no intention of going to the museum, so does being at the Acropolis mean a big difference from say, seeing up close and personal, but not actually up there in it?

Cheers

Len

You can use the elevator.  Just get your tickets on the official website.  After you go through security ask a guard who will direct you to the elevator.  People who are visibly impaired (like your cane) will be directed there.  People who are not visibly impaired (like a heart condition) might have to produce a medical certificate or other proof of handicap.

The handicapped person and a companion can ride the elevator.

Once you are up, the paths are fairly flat and the main ones are paved.

It is easy to meet on the top if you are with a group or a guide. The top of the stairs will be to your right.  They can come to meet you at the elevator or you could meet in front of the Parthenon.  You can't get lost.

Edited by marazul
  • Like 2