First time in Oslo

Peteymil

we did the hop on hop off bus .... things were a bit too spread out for me as I can't walk as well as I did previously after a hip replacement . . . 

another good idea in the 'oslo pass' which gives you use of public transit system and admission to many paid sites for one price ....  https://www.visitoslo.com/en/activities-and-attractions/oslo-pass/

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Depends a bit on your interests. The unique highlights are Vigelands Sculpture Park, the Fram polar exploration ship, and the Viking burial ships (currently closed for renovations). There are several other sights and attractions if you're interested in WWII history, modern architecture, art (classic or modern), Norwegian culture, politics, etc.

A walking tour could be interesting if you're looking for a classic European capital vibe (the area around the city center) or modern architecture (the area around the opera house and new Bjørvika district). Oslo is an easily walkable city, but several of the famous attractions are on the outskirts.

Among the city's sight, my personal favorites are the three mentioned above along with the open-air Folk Museum (including its iconic stave church) and walking up the roof of the opera house for the interesting architectural design and view over the fjord. The city's transit system is extremely easy to navigate if you have access to the Ruter phone app, which lets you buy tickets, plan routes, and see realtime departures.

• Thanks 1

Vigelands Sculpture Park

On 9/19/2023 at 2:23 AM, Peteymil said:

I have read through previous threads about Oslo, but I am a bit stuck

Being a city there are many sights and attractions and "one size won't fit all" for a one day visit.

And it is fairly spread out so I am not convinced a walking tour would cover what are considered to be the top sights in Oslo.

I recommend you put in a bit of time reading tourist information websites and guidebook recommendations , also review sites such as Tripadvisor.  Once you read descriptions and look at images of what Oslo offers, you will develop an idea of which sights/attractions appeal to you most and can plan  your day accordingly.  We found public transport very easy to use so don't be put off if your top choices are not in close proximity to each other. The Vigelands Sculpture Park was probably a favourite of ours, as it is with many others, and reviews and images can be found online.

1 hour ago, edinburgher said:

Vigelands Sculpture Park

Being a city there are many sights and attractions and "one size won't fit all" for a one day visit.

And it is fairly spread out so I am not convinced a walking tour would cover what are considered to be the top sights in Oslo.

I recommend you put in a bit of time reading tourist information websites and guidebook recommendations , also review sites such as Tripadvisor.  Once you read descriptions and look at images of what Oslo offers, you will develop an idea of which sights/attractions appeal to you most and can plan  your day accordingly.  We found public transport very easy to use so don't be put off if your top choices are not in close proximity to each other. The Vigelands Sculpture Park was probably a favourite of ours, as it is with many others, and reviews and images can be found online.

Thank you, I have done research and I've decided that the best bet for us is to do the hop on hop off so that we can see a more spread out variety of places

31 minutes ago, Peteymil said:

I have done research and I've decided that the best bet for us is to do the hop on hop off so that we can see a more spread out variety of places

And once you look at the HOHO route, you will know if any of the stops will be at attractions you found when researching which will be of personal interest to you and you can hop off, visit, and hop on again.

I think you will see more of the city than you would with a walking tour.

15 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

And once you look at the HOHO route, you will know if any of the stops will be at attractions you found when researching which will be of personal interest to you and you can hop off, visit, and hop on again.

I think you will see more of the city than you would with a walking tour.

I appreciate your help

The HOHO bus in Oslo runs rather infrequently (30 minutes last time I checked), and it can’t drive on certain restricted roads where trams and city buses are allowed. It can be useful for getting suggestions of places to visit, but it leaves a bit to be desired as a transportation source.

If you have mobile data access, the Ruter transit app makes it incredibly easy to get around the city with route planning (including GPS walking directions to the correct stop) and real-time departure information.

However, if there’s nothing in particular that strikes your fancy, the HOHO bus can be a good option to just not have to think about anything and just do what you feel like on a whim. I just wouldn’t count on it as efficient transportation if you only have a day and there are a few things you’d really like to see.

• 3 months later...
On 10/2/2023 at 5:33 PM, kaisatsu said:

If you have mobile data access, the Ruter transit app makes it incredibly easy to get around the city with route planning (including GPS walking directions to the correct stop) and real-time departure information.

Kaisatsu, I have long appreciated your detailed info and help. I will be in Oslo in August and I am primarily interested in seeing the Vigeland sculpture garden and the Kontiki and Fram museums. I travel solo and am comfortable using public transportation although at the moment I am trying to limit the amount of walking (awaiting knee surgery). -- I would rather save my steps for walking IN the museums/sites rather than TO them, if that makes sense. 

Can you propose a logical order and best way to get around in order to visit these sights in a day and return to the ship?  We are in port from 11:00 am to 9:00 pm, so not possible to get a very early start.

Edit: I have just downloaded the Ruter app but still would appreciate your overall suggestions.

Edited by cruisemom42

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Kaisatsu, I have long appreciated your detailed info and help. I will be in Oslo in August and I am primarily interested in seeing the Vigeland sculpture garden and the Kontiki and Fram museums. I travel solo and am comfortable using public transportation although at the moment I am trying to limit the amount of walking (awaiting knee surgery). -- I would rather save my steps for walking IN the museums/sites rather than TO them, if that makes sense. 

Can you propose a logical order and best way to get around in order to visit these sights in a day and return to the ship?  We are in port from 11:00 am to 9:00 pm, so not possible to get a very early start.

Edit: I have just downloaded the Ruter app but still would appreciate your overall suggestions.

It depends quite a lot on which day and which ship, since the 2024 Oslo cruise port schedule shows calls in August split between Revierkaia in the city center, and Filipstadkaia, west of downtown.

The bus service to Filipstadveien, near the latter, varies significantly depending on the time of day and day of the week.

Without knowing which pier you will be starting and ending with, I can only recommend a route between the two. If you’re starting mid-day, I’d do the museums first, so you have plenty of time before they close. Probably worth grabbing an early lunch beforehand as there isn’t much in the area. The museums are both located at the Bygdøynes bus stop, served by #30. However, this stop is only served by buses traveling in one direction, and you need the other. You could walk 10-15 minutes to the Frederiksborg stop and pick up a 30 headed in the Nydalen direction. If you want to minimize walking, just take the 30 in the Bygdøy direction from outside the museums, and ride it to the third stop (Bygdøhus) which is served in both directions. There you can cross the street and catch the next bus one going towards Nydalen.

Once you’re on a 30 towards Nydalen, ride it ~8 minutes to Olav Kyrres plass, where you need to switch to the 20 (direction Galgeberg). This bus will stop right outside Vigelands Park (at the aptly named Vigelandsparken stop).

It sounds a bit complicated because of having to switch directions on the 30, but it’s pretty straightforward.

Ruter tickets are valid for an hour and include unlimited transfers during that time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, kaisatsu said:

It depends quite a lot on which day and which ship, since the 2024 Oslo cruise port schedule shows calls in August split between Revierkaia in the city center, and Filipstadkaia, west of downtown.

I didn't realize there was more than one port. I'm on Rotterdam arriving 24 Aug and according to the schedule in your link it should be docking at Rev, which must be Revierkaia.  Would that change your thoughts in any way?

14 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I didn't realize there was more than one port. I'm on Rotterdam arriving 24 Aug and according to the schedule in your link it should be docking at Rev, which must be Revierkaia.  Would that change your thoughts in any way?

No, I think I’d stick with the same order given your later morning arrival.

From Revierkaia, it’s a short ~6 minute walk north to Tollbugata where you can find the closest 30 bus stop to catch a ride to the Bygdøynes museums.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/XMgSPckhqk4ep5dY7?g_st=ic

Returning to the ship from Vigelands Park, I’d recommend catching the 12 (towards Kjelsås) from outside the front gates of the park. It will take you through the classic Frogner neighborhood and past the Aker Brygge waterfront and city hall to Jernbanetorget, right in front of the central station and not too far from the pier.

• Thanks 1