Alaska Cruise Itinerary

africanviolet

8 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

We have cruised on the Bliss, Encore and other NCL ships as well as virtually all the Princess ships, including the new Royal class. We enjoy both, but Princess edges NCL by far in Alaska. Their ships are beautiful, food excellent, staterooms and balconies much larger and quality of service and entertainment is on par. We don’t miss outdoor slides and go kart tracks when our focus is the ports. 

Alaska is a magical destination with so much to see and that means you need time in your ports. It is not a place where a simple walk around town and stop in a shop or two is sufficient. Unfortunately the round trip Seattle itineraries offered by NCL, including Encore, are just truly abysmal in terms of the actual time in these wonderful Alaska ports. We have been to Alaska on both lines and without a doubt Princess offers a superior Alaska experience. 

Since the OP is booked already on Bliss (by way of someone else) I was really just speaking how Bliss was a beautiful ship.  I agree with both you and @Coral that NCL itineraries are subpar to Princess and HAL.

@Coral since we didn’t get to see Dawes, do you think the closeup excursion is not worth the cost (IIRC is was about $289 pp)?

4 hours ago, Coral said:

I think it comes down - does the original poster want to have fun on the ship or see Alaska? NCL itineraries are weak and have limited amount of time in port.

I do not recommend Dawes glacier.

Hi Coral, I would rather do an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay.  Unfortunately, some friends had already booked the Bliss and they are not keen on changing even to another NCL ship that does Glacier Bay.  If I don't go with them, I may book on Princess instead for the better port times and itinerary.  Thanks!!

17 hours ago, laudergayle said:

The sister ship to Bliss goes to Glacier Bay in June… and that ship is Encore. If that is important to you, you could probably switch with no penalty..cost may differ.  If not, you will still enjoy Bliss.  If you can swing the excursion from Juneau to get close to Dawes Glacier…do it.  It is somewhat confusing…when we went the excursion time was like 2 pm, when the ship was only in Juneau till 1:30 pm.  That’s because they pick you up at the dock in Juneau, cruise the glacier, then deliver you back to the ship several hours later while it is anchored to see the glacier from a distance. Hope that makes sense.  Enjoy.

BTW, Bliss is a beautiful ship and far exceeds the amenities you will find on Princess.  Food, especially the specialty restaurants, are excellent.

Laudergayle, thank you for pointing that out to me.  I somehow missed that Encore is going to Glacier Bay.  I will see if I can get to them switch to the Encore instead.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2023 at 8:59 AM, laudergayle said:

Since the OP is booked already on Bliss (by way of someone else) I was really just speaking how Bliss was a beautiful ship.  I agree with both you and @Coral that NCL itineraries are subpar to Princess and HAL.

@Coral since we didn’t get to see Dawes, do you think the closeup excursion is not worth the cost (IIRC is was about $289 pp)?

I would like to know as well if the closeup excursion is worth the extra cost to see Dawes Glacier.  Thanks.

On 9/25/2023 at 8:41 AM, africanviolet said:

Hi Coral, I would rather do an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay.  Unfortunately, some friends had already booked the Bliss and they are not keen on changing even to another NCL ship that does Glacier Bay.  If I don't go with them, I may book on Princess instead for the better port times and itinerary.  Thanks!!

It appears as if you have a choice of doing a bad cruise w friends or a much better cruise w/o friends.  I know what my decision would be.  The fact that the Bliss may be a nicer ship is irrelevant.  Any Princess ship will not be a tub and in AK what is outside of the ship is much more important than what is inside the ship.

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Thanks 1