New to NCL

Reds4life

Hello, we are considering an NCL cruise after Christmas. This would be a short 4-Nighter out of Miami with 3 stops throughout the Bahamas. The timeframe, price, and logistics are all pointing us to this direction after researching other options. We are in our 40s and would have a 19 yr old, 18 yr old, and 13 yr old with us. We generally like to stay on a schedule of eating a nice dinner each evening and then attending a show. We don't drink at all. We are very active and normally would be a the pool or water area on the ship but with 3 ports, we probably won't be doing much through the day on the ship. We are looking at the Norwegian Pearl.

After cruising multiple times on MSC and RCCL and once on Holland America (we were very bored on that one), we are wondering what the differences are with NCL? We are very excited about the different dining venues and the entertainment from what we can gather. Any information is very much appreciated!

Sounds like the Norwegian Pearl. She is a smaller ship, but has recently come out of dry dock looking new and fresh. As a small ship, she doesn’t have all of the fancy lines of an Oasis or Quantum class big ship. But she is fine for a Bahamas cruise. 

NCL embraces freestyle cruising. Show up to dinner when you’re hungry or when it fits your busy cruise schedule. And casual attire on the ship. Shorts are fine in all dining rooms for all meals except the Le Bistro French restaurant and the aft Summer Palace main dining room for dinner where gents are asked to wear long pants (jeans and dockers are fine). You can go to the Indigo MDR in shorts for dinner. 

Wow, the dress code is awesome. We always hate packing extra clothes to meet dining expectations. We like to dress nice but also not because we are forced to. And, with it being the Caribbean, we have never understood wearing sport coats to dinner lol. Can you get a reservation to the restaurants? We don't like to wait for a table

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Reds4life said:

Wow, the dress code is awesome. We always hate packing extra clothes to meet dining expectations. We like to dress nice but also not because we are forced to. And, with it being the Caribbean, we have never understood wearing sport coats to dinner lol. Can you get a reservation to the restaurants? We don't like to wait for a table

First....love your user name and moniker.  

NCL is generally easy to get a table as a walk up.  Sometimes you may have to wait a few minutes if it's during busy times, but you shouldn't have to wait long.

2 hours ago, Reds4life said:

Can you get a reservation to the restaurants? We don't like to wait for a table

Specialty restaurants can be reserved 120 days in advance of your sail date.

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

First....love your user name and moniker.  

As a Brewers fan I can only say "Better luck next year"...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

As a Brewers fan I can only say "Better luck next year"...

They overachieved this season. So I am very happy with their future. Starting 6 rookies on some nights and still being competitive is fine by me. Plus, fans of teams with zero WS championships and only one appearance in the history of the franchise probably shouldn't be throwing stones 🤔 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Reds4life said:

Plus, fans of teams with zero WS championships and only one appearance in the history of the franchise probably shouldn't be throwing stones 🤔 

You're right. Now let's talk NFL teams...😁

Edited by schmoopie17

4 hours ago, Reds4life said:

They overachieved this season. So I am very happy with their future. Starting 6 rookies on some nights and still being competitive is fine by me. Plus, fans of teams with zero WS championships and only one appearance in the history of the franchise probably shouldn't be throwing stones 🤔 

We’re still in the WC hunt.  This is an exciting team, filled with very young talent.  Feel good about them!

7 hours ago, Reds4life said:

How does the Brazilian Steakhouse compare to those mainland based chains? 

Haven't been in Moderno on Pearl, but did on Getaway back in Dec/Jan, 2023. I would say the meats equal Texas de Brazil. I do miss the potatoes au gratin though. Moderno doesn't have those. The salad bar is better on Moderno - they have nothin' fancy sushi. 

Enjoy your sailing!

9 hours ago, Reds4life said:

How does the Brazilian Steakhouse compare to those mainland based chains? 

We recently went to Fogo de Chao (for the first time). I would say Moderno was similar. 

The Fogo salad bar was disappointing based on all of its hype. And I didn't care for the upsell at Fogo (drive bys with lovely food for an additional $25). 

• Thanks 1