Getaway Oct 22-Nov 19 Too long or never enough? Transatlantic and Southern Caribbean

CruisnHallelujahs

Our back to back turnover was not at all like our last one.  Someone said it was because it wasn’t a closed loop.  I’ll post pic of instructions.  Waited in bliss for 1-1/2 hours starting at 9:30 before heading outside to snake through entire embark process and then some.  At least we didn’t wait in line with new cruisers but no one knew how to get us back on ship without changing course a few times.  Not back on ship till around noon where we wanted to race to fix reservations.  Did get my dinner fixed before the emergency drills started.  Workers had to run to stations so no more signing up for anything till that ended.  Did get seated in osheehans.  Ordered drinks but bar tenders were also in drill.  I understood completely and was thankful to get food at least.  Wonderful fried fish sandwich.  Hope this isn’t typical nyc start.  Was a mandatory coast guard inspection as embarkation started so very chaotic.

Thought the rude people would start later in cruise.  Woman angry about not getting cheese on her burger.  Yelled at server and shoved it at her.  Then talked to management about it.  Oh my word.  

There is no easy way off ship…have to swim upstream against the crowd coming in.   Made it off just to walk to Moynihan so we know how to catch train home.  Getting back on was easy…still throngs of people checking in.  3:00 all aboard. 

Definitely a different feel to this cruise.  Hope it all settles down. 

IMG_7028.jpeg

Edited by CruisnHallelujahs
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday was the meet and greet held at Cagneys.  Can’t remember how many signed up but wow, there were a lot of people.  The illusionarium was the better venue for this.  The officers came and spoke.  I find Mario quite entertaining. 

The people sitting around me were all Facebook people so I only spoke to one active cc roll call member on my way out.   Right after the officers spoke they immediately started the shot glass exchange which ended the meeting and greeting.  I would prefer these were separate events, having really enjoyed chatting with cc members last cruise.  

I noticed on the app my planner was not showing my booked activities.  Went to dining reservations desk to confirm they were still there. They were.  Decided to check on theater reservations too.  They were not there.  Thankfully I had my confirmation email so they could be restored.  

Went to iconnect internet managers desk.  Long line.  Decided to wait since it’s driving me crazy not having my schedule handy and worrying my reservations won’t be there when I arrive.  

Turns out all b2b passengers are having this problem.  They’ve sent a report in and…no idea when it will be fixed.   

Sail away from nyc we were dining in Tropicana.  First time having vegetarian burrito.  I loved it.  Tried to remove man who was center of my pic.  

For nfl fans they played three games in the bars yesterday.  Eagles and Bills games,  my teams, were on.  And one other…

Dinner was at Cagneys which was excellent.   Tried the chocolate cake that everyone says is better than the omg cheesecake.  It is not. 

IMG_7030.jpeg

IMG_7036.jpeg

IMG_7042.jpeg

IMG_7044.jpeg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CruisnHallelujahs said:

The people sitting around me were all Facebook people so I only spoke to one active cc roll call member on my way out.   Right after the officers spoke they immediately started the shot glass exchange which ended the meeting and greeting.  I would prefer these were separate events, having really enjoyed chatting with cc members last cruise.  

I agree with you about having separate events. Unless it's a three or four day cruise, there is plenty of time to scatter them throughout the cruise. This is what I did with the slot pull my husband and I are hosting in a couple weeks. Granted, we're on a Transatlantic so plenty of sea days (as you know). We've planned the slot pull a few days after the meet and greet. The one and only meet and greet we attended provided an opportunity to talk to a couple of folks for a few minutes after the actual event. I'm on vacation. I don't want to rush to different places so quickly! 

28 minutes ago, CruisnHallelujahs said:

Dinner was at Cagneys which was excellent.   Tried the chocolate cake that everyone says is better than the omg cheesecake.  It is not. 

I'm definitely on the fence with this one. The cheesecake is so good! Minus the caramel. I'm not a fan. But that chocolate cake is so yummy! I suppose you need to really enjoy dense, not creamy, cheesecake to really love it. I prefer the dense cheesecake to pudding like cheesecake so it's great (for me)! 

Have a really great next few days in the Caribbean!!!

• Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 9:57 AM, mking8288 said:

We have never been fans of NCL holding those "live" events with folding chairs for a big crowd to gather, overcrowding and standing room only ... #couch #cough with all that invisible airborne stuff.  

They have multiple theatres, yet put the most popular crowd pleasing activities smack in the middle of the most traveled area of the ship, limiting the # of people who can enjoy them. It is a giant flaw of the big ships and I still cannot understand their logic. 

5 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:
6 hours ago, CruisnHallelujahs said:

I'm definitely on the fence with this one. The cheesecake is so good! Minus the caramel. I'm not a fan. But that chocolate cake is so yummy! I suppose you need to really enjoy dense, not creamy, cheesecake to really love it. I prefer the dense cheesecake to pudding like cheesecake so it's great (for me)! 

Have a really great next few days in the Caribbean!!!

Lol will have to agree to disagree. I love the caramel sauce.  
Thank you.  Crazy that today has been the only day I have felt cold. Rainy but warmer outside.  Air conditioning high inside.  

4 hours ago, DaisyGoldberg said:

They have multiple theatres, yet put the most popular crowd pleasing activities smack in the middle of the most traveled area of the ship, limiting the # of people who can enjoy them. It is a giant flaw of the big ships and I still cannot understand their logic. 

I like the design since you see what’s going on while walking through instead of it hidden somewhere you didn’t notice.  Also love the the over hang viewing from osheehans.  More seating would be helpful.  If people wouldn’t plant themselves there all day and just stay for what they are interested in there wouldn’t be a problem.  People are sleeping there right now.  

Went to behind the scenes tour again.  Learned different things and met different crew members.  Was thinking of not going second leg but glad we did.  Asked about Nick (Elvis) as male lead singer in burn the floor.  Hadn’t notice first show since we didn’t know he was Elvis at the time.  So fun seeing him last night not as Elvis.  Also had chatted with the dancer with pink hair in the sauna last week. She is very sweet.  Felt like watching family perform in the show. 

After tour our regular breakfast spot was closed so ate at osheehans so heard all about the prima and viva from the atrium while dining.  Learned that they listen to cruise critics and read the post cruise surveys and based the changes in new ships on those.  So the no atrium because it’s too noisy/busy… activities and games now in theaters is for all those who voiced their opinions.  Lol I’ll miss the atrium.  Love meeting people there.  Do look like beautiful ships with more pools so will give them a try hopefully soon. 

Color of sea has changed…

and only picture I took on tour was crew galley

IMG_7051.jpeg

IMG_7053.jpeg

• Like 3

On 10/30/2023 at 8:26 AM, CruisnHallelujahs said:

Went to the latitudes behind the scenes tour this morning and learned that in dry dock illusionarium will be replaced with Q bbq.  I love Q but not as much as I love the illusionarium venue and shows.  

I am disappointed to hear that the Illusionarium will be gone. Agree, it is a great venue for shows.

Loved your witty pumpkin pie costumes.

Hope you are enjoying the Caribbean sailing. I just disembarked from the Getaway in NYC to prepare for my next cruise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

... disappointed to hear that the Illusionarium will be gone. Agree, it is a great venue for shows.

Concur ... likewise, the Spigel Tent, Supper Club are going next.  Slightly off-topic, what are they going to show onboard the Viva from now on ... did I read somewhere here that Beetlejuice is gone, ICON instead ??  because doesn't look like we are seeing The Donna Summer Musical onboard a "3 story theatre" later this month either, as advertised still, outdated marketing info on the website. 

Win some and then lose some with our "complaints" about poor planning & use of public, especially indoor space - hence, the Aqua is (likely) going to have a tiny atrium "lobby" and that theatre space now "in the air"  From a fire safety/egress standpoint - those folding chairs are just hazardous, with the know crowding for hijacking the space intended for something else, IMHO of course. Pretty sure that's something not sanctioned by applicable "codes" 

@CruisnHallelujahs - thanks for sharing the details about the B2B for NY, going to be useful & helpful for some of us doing TA shortly.  Much appreciated ... continue to follow this great live report. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

... did I read somewhere here that Beetlejuice is gone, ICON instead ??  because doesn't look like we are seeing The Donna Summer Musical onboard a "3 story theatre" later this month either, as advertised still, outdated marketing info on the website. 

@JIMESOPUS can probably answer that question on his Viva thread, as he is currently on board.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2023 at 12:31 PM, Sugar Magnolia said:

I am disappointed to hear that the Illusionarium will be gone. Agree, it is a great venue for shows.

Loved your witty pumpkin pie costumes.

Hope you are enjoying the Caribbean sailing. I just disembarked from the Getaway in NYC to prepare for my next cruise.

Sorry we missed meeting you!  Was a fun cruise and was surprised at how sad I was when all those we met left the ship. 
Yes,  all the cruisers who haven’t see the illusionarium, when they find it,  are absolutely wowed by it and enjoy opening all the drawers.  Really wish they’d keep it as is. 
Enjoy your next cruise!

• Like 1

On 11/7/2023 at 12:49 PM, mking8288 said:

Concur ... likewise, the Spigel Tent, Supper Club are going next.  Slightly off-topic, what are they going to show onboard the Viva from now on ... did I read somewhere here that Beetlejuice is gone, ICON instead ??  because doesn't look like we are seeing The Donna Summer Musical onboard a "3 story theatre" later this month either, as advertised still, outdated marketing info on the website. 

Win some and then lose some with our "complaints" about poor planning & use of public, especially indoor space - hence, the Aqua is (likely) going to have a tiny atrium "lobby" and that theatre space now "in the air"  From a fire safety/egress standpoint - those folding chairs are just hazardous, with the know crowding for hijacking the space intended for something else, IMHO of course. Pretty sure that's something not sanctioned by applicable "codes" 

@CruisnHallelujahs - thanks for sharing the details about the B2B for NY, going to be useful & helpful for some of us doing TA shortly.  Much appreciated ... continue to follow this great live report. 

Also looking forward to hearing what they replace old shows with.  Didn’t know how we would find a TA with all those sea days but we loved it.  Hard getting back into full gear running around every port! 

• Like 1

Tuesday went to 1:00 Neil and Ashley illusionist show in theater.  Thoroughly enjoyed. 

Then late lunch at buffet since we thought dinner would be late. I think everyone else had this plan as well with the sudden rush to buffet.  

Port days make for busy days.  My review is falling behind.   First port was St Thomas.  Arrived late (think after 4pm) and did not hear announcement with instructions for getting off ship so went down and joined the very long line snaking through, I think, deck six.   The line went surprisingly very quickly.  Probably thanks to the stairway being roped off so people couldn’t just zipper in from the stairs. 

Saw the clouds. Did not bring umbrella.  Walked to town climbed the 99 stairs (103 I was told is the actual number) and found blackbeards castle.  Sad that it is still closed from a couple hurricanes ago.  I think it is for sale and would be a great investment for anyone looking… there used to be a pool at the top with bar and restaurant with a spectacular view.  

Headed down the stairs to walk through town hoping to shop a bit.  Then the rain started.  Not a light rain mind you.  DH was committed to walking back but right next to me was a covered taxi. I hopped in and he followed. Lol  The women we chatted with in the open air taxi were a fun bunch.  We still were soaked but arrived to ship quickly. 

Being an American island took our phones off airplane mode.  Ladies in taxi said they still couldn’t text.  We shared that shutting down and rebooting usually solves this problem.  

Being drenched and exhausted decided to change quickly and dine at taste. 

Had chatted with cc Patrica on phone but hadn’t met.  With enough info I saw someone who fit the description and decided to say her name as she went by.  How fun that it was actually her and she was so delightful to quickly chat with.   Hope we really can get up the nerve and do the ropes course together!

Arrived at the theater just in time to get what appeared to be the last two seats together.   Very much enjoyed the uptown boys. 

IMG_7059.jpeg

IMG_7064.jpeg

IMG_7065.jpeg

IMG_7068.jpeg

IMG_7069.jpeg

IMG_7079.jpeg

IMG_7066.jpeg

• Like 2

Woke up early yesterday for Antigua and headed to buffet for quick breakfast.  Nice and quiet at 6:30 am.  Said hello to Don who really does swim early every morning.  

Thought it would be difficult getting off the boat for 8:45 excursion meeting on the pier.   We were very early and had no line getting off ship.  

Two boats were used for catamaran and lobster lunch cruise.  We were on the second one.  Captain pointed out all the sights on way to two beach stops.  Said Georgia Armani owns the estate pictured here.  Water was calm clear and beautiful to swim in at both locations. Lobster lunch was in between while sailing on the boat.  I substituted for fish but everyone seemed to enjoy their lobster.  They set up tables and chairs for everyone which they should advertise.  No one needs to secure their spot early for comfortable eating.  Would highly recommend this tour.  A wonderful day on the water.

Made it back for dinner at ocean blue, sat in for a bit at karaoke in Syd Norman’s and then illusionarium for broadway unplugged.  

IMG_7082.jpeg

IMG_7084.jpeg

IMG_7100.jpeg

IMG_7107.jpeg

IMG_7114.jpeg

IMG_7112.jpeg

IMG_7116.jpeg

• Like 2

Barbados we planned to do on our own so went for a leisurely breakfast at Taste.  Had my breakfast of champions.  Left ship around 10 am and walked to Daiquiri beach.  About a 30 minute walk.    Sat on beach taking in the beauty and swam in the crystal clear water.  On way back to ship walked around the fish market and found where the locals like to eat.  Back on ship for lunch in osheehans by 1:00 then went back out to walk around the pier shops.   

While sitting on balcony the Evrima pulled up.  The Ritz Carlton yacht.  Wonder how that compares to the Haven. 😮 I do like having all the entertainment options that NCL offers so not for us yet ha. 

Dinner in Tropicana where I was all fished out so ordered the baked ziti with extra marinara and Parmesan.   I absolutely love their marinara so adding extra makes it perfect.   Seem to have hit the food wall so no dessert for us tonight. 

So tired so just went to the comedy at 7:00 and then back to the room.  Jim was very entertaining and spot on that this audience just wanted to be in bed early.  Lol

IMG_7123.jpeg

IMG_7125.jpeg

IMG_7126.jpeg

IMG_7127.jpeg

IMG_7130.jpeg

IMG_7134.jpeg

IMG_7137.jpeg

IMG_7139.jpeg

IMG_7140.jpeg

IMG_7141.jpeg

IMG_7152.jpeg

IMG_7154.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 11/9/2023 at 8:15 AM, CruisnHallelujahs said:

Tuesday went to 1:00 Neil and Ashley illusionist show in theater.  Thoroughly enjoyed. 

Then late lunch at buffet since we thought dinner would be late. I think everyone else had this plan as well with the sudden rush to buffet.  

Port days make for busy days.  My review is falling behind.   First port was St Thomas.  Arrived late (think after 4pm) and did not hear announcement with instructions for getting off ship so went down and joined the very long line snaking through, I think, deck six.   The line went surprisingly very quickly.  Probably thanks to the stairway being roped off so people couldn’t just zipper in from the stairs. 

Saw the clouds. Did not bring umbrella.  Walked to town climbed the 99 stairs (103 I was told is the actual number) and found blackbeards castle.  Sad that it is still closed from a couple hurricanes ago.  I think it is for sale and would be a great investment for anyone looking… there used to be a pool at the top with bar and restaurant with a spectacular view.  

Headed down the stairs to walk through town hoping to shop a bit.  Then the rain started.  Not a light rain mind you.  DH was committed to walking back but right next to me was a covered taxi. I hopped in and he followed. Lol  The women we chatted with in the open air taxi were a fun bunch.  We still were soaked but arrived to ship quickly. 

Being an American island took our phones off airplane mode.  Ladies in taxi said they still couldn’t text.  We shared that shutting down and rebooting usually solves this problem.  

Being drenched and exhausted decided to change quickly and dine at taste. 

Had chatted with cc Patrica on phone but hadn’t met.  With enough info I saw someone who fit the description and decided to say her name as she went by.  How fun that it was actually her and she was so delightful to quickly chat with.   Hope we really can get up the nerve and do the ropes course together!

Arrived at the theater just in time to get what appeared to be the last two seats together.   Very much enjoyed the uptown boys. 

IMG_7059.jpeg

IMG_7064.jpeg

IMG_7065.jpeg

IMG_7068.jpeg

IMG_7069.jpeg

IMG_7079.jpeg

IMG_7066.jpeg

Great Pictures!! TY

Kingstown St Vincent seemed quite impoverished.    Strolled down the streets and came upon a Salvation Army tent service.  Found St George’s cathedral and Kingstown Methodist Church, which was built by freed slaves.   Was surprised to find services going on in each on a Friday morning.  

Walked down their street market.  Went in a pharmacy to buy a few things and headed back to the ship.  

Went for a lap swim in the empty kids pool in the afternoon.  Checked out the slides.  Was surprised there was no tube slide…my favorite on other ships.  I really don’t like going under water at the end.  Finally an adult went down the mildest one and she didn’t go under.  Maybe another day I’ll give it a go. 

IMG_7159.jpeg

IMG_7163.jpeg

IMG_7162.jpeg

IMG_7170.jpeg

IMG_7171.jpeg

IMG_7168.jpeg

IMG_7164.jpeg

IMG_7173.jpeg

IMG_7176.jpeg

• Like 1

Woke up to a rainy day in Grenada.  Have never been here so decided to buy the rain poncho and explore a bit before the early all aboard of 1:30.  

Followed the signs inside port building to historic district.  This worked out well (though felt like going nowhere) when we exited at the base of stairs to st George’s fort.  Climbed stairs to the top to discover there was no opened entrance but did have great views and led easily to the town center.  Also beautiful flowering banana trees.

Lots of damage from hurricane Ivan.  One church looked to be in complete ruins but when I opened the door there was a woman working there and we were astonished to find it modernly renovated. 

Street signs just a tad confusing…which way to go? 

Dinner was at LeBistro where the Dover sole is my go to. DH had the duck.  Sat on the waterfront outside syd Norman’s for a few songs.  (Never there in time to stand in line for a seat) Then to headliners for newly aboard comedian Sean Corvelle.

IMG_7181.jpeg

IMG_7185.jpeg

IMG_7187.jpeg

IMG_7190.jpeg

IMG_7192.jpeg

IMG_7197.jpeg

IMG_7196.jpeg

IMG_1386.jpeg

IMG_7199.jpeg

IMG_7200.jpeg

IMG_7201.jpeg

IMG_7204.jpeg

IMG_7205.jpeg

IMG_7206.jpeg

IMG_7210.jpeg

IMG_7211.jpeg

• Like 3

Yesterday was Willemstad curaçao.  Booked a last minute excursion because I wanted someone else to do the thinking for me.  Hato caves and mambo beach was chosen.  Bus ride showed parts of the island we hadn’t seen before and caves were just something different to do.   Mambo beach was a surprise.  Man made beach with lots of people.   Were happy to have lounge chairs reserved for us.  A bit more than an hour was too short for everyone.  I’ve looked at resorts here and they all seem to have the enclosed man made beaches. (Like the one in front of ship dock) Glad we experienced it.  Will help make future vacation decisions.  Would not be happy if I was staying at the resorts there and bus loads of cruisers came to visit.  

Had a fun evening at karaoke.  Hilarious people sitting around us made the night. 

IMG_7217.jpeg

IMG_7236.jpeg

IMG_7242.jpeg

IMG_7219.jpeg

IMG_7221.jpeg

IMG_7225.jpeg

IMG_7227.jpeg

IMG_7246.jpeg

IMG_7252.jpeg

IMG_7245.jpeg

IMG_7254.jpeg

• Like 1

Falling further and further behind.  Monday was Aruba.  Walked to our favorite beach, Divi, across from divis golf resort.  Took about 30 minutes.  Smaller than the more popular ones but I think more beautiful and always has waves to jump.

Then walked back past the cruise ship and onto our favorite restaurant/bar, the West Deck.  DH had our sons favorite drink… a beergarita.

This was the first night we went to buffet for dinner.  Could not believe how quiet it was.  Then went to meridian bar where we had a few martinis (best bar for them) and lost time chatting with other cruisers so didn’t get to entertainment we planned on so walked aimlessly til we came upon syd Norman’s where a line was forming.  Decided to just get in line and see what it is…rock the pour house. It’s 8:45… must start at 9.  Nope, this line is for the 10 pm show.  DH does not want to stay for this at all (past our bedtime!) but the doors open and we all file in.  It filled up instantly.  We were pleasantly surprised to see our new b2b friends from meridian and they joined us. That hour flew by catching up on our similar experiences so we did stay for the show.  Was a great time and glad after 20 some days we were able to get in lol. 

IMG_7263.jpeg

IMG_7267.jpeg

IMG_7268.jpeg

IMG_7269.jpeg

IMG_7273.jpeg

IMG_7277.jpeg

IMG_7288.jpeg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I agree with your husband about that 10 PM bedtime!!!

Lol.  We did pay for it the next day…so very tired.  (I’m not old enough to be this tired after a late night!)  He likes to be up early for breakfast.  I don’t. But on this cruise it’s enjoyably nice and quiet when Taste first opens.  

• Like 2