Flooding in NYC

ronmar22

Flying into LGA tomorrow morning for a cruise departing on Sunday.  Been watching weather channel and the massive flooding.  Any clue on how it’s gonna be to get from LGA to our hotel in Manhattan.  Was planning on taxi or Uber but the videos on weather channel look very bad. We are scheduled to get to LGA at 10:40 AM. 

48 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

It's likely that rail and subways will still have problems, but surface transportation should be sorted out by then.

The terminals at LGA may be a problem area - some  were closed earlier today due to flooded interiors.

Thank you for the reply.  I did see video of the interior of LGA where people were wading in water 4-6” deep.  😞.  We are scheduled to arrive at 10:37 AM.  I guess will just hope that the flooding has gotten better.

2 hours ago, ronmar22 said:

Flying into LGA tomorrow morning for a cruise departing on Sunday.  Been watching weather channel and the massive flooding.  Any clue on how it’s gonna be to get from LGA to our hotel in Manhattan.  Was planning on taxi or Uber but the videos on weather channel look very bad. We are scheduled to get to LGA at 10:40 AM. 

Only Terminal A, which is used by Frontier and Spirit, was closed by flooding. The two main terminals, B & C, were not flooded. Last I checked full operations at Terminal A were expected to resume by 4 am Saturday, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Of course many flights were cancelled and delayed and that can lead to cancellations and delays even after weather has improved if airplanes are not in their expected locations due to the earlier cancellations.  It's imperative that you check with your airline frequently about the status of your flight.

While there was substantial serious street flooding and mass transit was heavily impacted by the weather, street flooding usually resolves itself fairly quickly after the rain stops and it appears that the worst of the storm has departed NY City so by tomorrow morning I wouldn't expect there would be great problems with taxis or Uber .

5 hours ago, Brighton Line said:

I guess the terminal wanted some nostalgia.

Well, the PAPD maintains a dock in back of the terminal, so those Clippers might still be able to arrive without the need for flooding the terminal building itself! 🙂

I do enjoy going back even further in time, and before the Marine Air Terminal was built there was a streetcar line that ran perpendicular to present-day Marine Terminal Road, right through the middle of where the administration building (Hanger 7) is today. Paralleling Bowery Bay all the way to the amusements at North Beach, that streetcar route, too, seems likely to have been flooded. But all that is gone, and the only remaining connection with the past is the Marine Air Terminal, truly the gem of today's airport.