Anyone Doing Freighter Cruising?

Years ago, a Landlady that I had was an avid Freighter Cruiser and she did it mainly because it fit her budget, but she always came back with the most interesting stories and absolutely loved the experience.

This forum is not that active.

Is anyone doing Freighter Cruising now?  

How do you find what Freighter ships offer these experiences?

How are the cabins, the food, the experiences?

At least in Europe there is several shipping routes that could be used for freighter cruising. Some routes (eg. between Finland and Sweden and Finland and Estonia) are operated by cruiseferries that resemble "normal" cruise ships despite that there is also vehicle decks that carry wheeled cargo. And then there is more freight oriented operations, eg. Finnlines Helsinki<->Travemünde route. Those operate from more cargo oriented ports and on board experience on these ro-pax ships is more spartan, but still includes decent cabins, sauna, gym, buffet restaurant, cafe and bar.

Granted, these "cruises" are quite short, couple nights at most.

• Like 1

Yes, outside of the Baltic "cruises" mentioned above, all of the container lines that offered passenger service have not restarted this since the pandemic.  A place to watch for lines restarting is Marisfreightercruises.com.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes, outside of the Baltic "cruises" mentioned above, all of the container lines that offered passenger service have not restarted this since the pandemic.

Actually, I can think of also ro-pax routes outside Baltic, eg. between UK and France and The Netherlands, between Norway and Denmark, between Denmark and Iceland via Faroe Islands and various ports on shores of Mediterranean Sea. Granted, in every case the vehicle deck(s) may not have just freight on board, but also private cars and vans that travelers want to take with them across the sea.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2023 at 11:42 AM, CDNPolar said:

Is anyone doing Freighter Cruising now?  

Yes, we love it, since we have our first travel in 2018. I made a film from it:
https://youtu.be/ARglDPV_q7w
It was amazing. Thince now we have done 4 travels and I hope my english ist good enough to be understood. Today I will produce my 4. film of a yourney, this time in english. Have fun with it.

• Like 1