Reykjavik excursion

Tsunami74

44 minutes ago, Tsunami74 said:

Has anyone done the Viking "The Golden Circle" excursion in Reykjavik? 

How was it?

Did you have trouble booking it?  Does this sell out early?

We are in a PV cabin so have a fairly early time to book.

We did this excursion on our 'In the Wake of the Vikings' cruise, and I would highly recommend.  I know it's possible to book similar excursions with independent providers for less money, but in our case, at least, the van Viking used was only partially filled, we had a terrific guide who gave us in-depth commentary at all the stops, there was plenty of time to walk around and explore at each stop, and at the end, the driver gave us a quick unscheduled tour around the city itself.  

• Like 1

Great!

I am surprised that the bus was only partially filled.

I thought, though pricey, that it would be sold out.

Since we have only one port in Iceland, we were a little reluctant to not take a Viking tour and risk missing the boat.

The Golden Circle tour is widely offered by many tour companies.  If you are not able to book on your MVJ open time, simply book with any of the providers.  I used the company that has the same name as your topic.  If offered, do the Golden Circle that stops at the greenhouse.

The variations of the golden circle tour last 6 - 8 hours.  It is well worth the time and you see many different places and environments.  As wonderful as Thingvellir and Gullfoss was, I think Geyser was my favorite.

Yes the Old Norse language gave us the word Geyser and Thing (þing)

I would not be too concerned with "missing the boat"  The Icelandic logistic and tourism  movement is a thing to be seen.  

Edited by Meander Ingwa
  • Like 1

We recently did The Golden Circle tour with Gray Line and it was one of the best tours we’ve had.  Our tour guide was excellent & gave lots of interesting information & facts about all the stops and Iceland overall. He was also very entertaining/humorous. Gullfoss was beautiful & was our favourite stop, although all of the scenery was spectacular. It helped that the weather was bright & sunny if not cold.  We did this tour the day we joined the ship having travelled to Reykjavik the day before, following the tour they took us back to our hotel to pick up our luggage, we got a taxi & joined the ship by 4.30.  Well worth it & more than half the price of Viking although lunch was not included with Gray Line.

On 10/1/2023 at 4:30 PM, Meander Ingwa said:

The Golden Circle tour is widely offered by many tour companies.  If you are not able to book on your MVJ open time, simply book with any of the providers.  I used the company that has the same name as your topic.  If offered, do the Golden Circle that stops at the greenhouse.

The variations of the golden circle tour last 6 - 8 hours.  It is well worth the time and you see many different places and environments.  As wonderful as Thingvellir and Gullfoss was, I think Geyser was my favorite.

Yes the Old Norse language gave us the word Geyser and Thing (þing)

I would not be too concerned with "missing the boat"  The Icelandic logistic and tourism  movement is a thing to be seen.  

Agree completely.

You see so much on this tour. There are great companies out there (Arctic adventures for example) who do small minibus tours with around 15 to 20 people. So, if you were struggling with getting the the viking excursion, they will get you back on time. 

We did this tour with Viking and loved it.  Not only did the tour guide do a wonderful job, but the stops we made were extraordinary.  We were given plenty of time at each stop also.   Lunch was at a restaurant that had a farm attached and they raised their produce there.  It was the best meal I had in Iceland off the ship.  Sorry, I don't remember the name of the restaurant....they have an ice cream parlor below the restaurant and the ice cream was wonderful.  If you go to that one...definitely get some ice cream after lunch.   

• Like 1

On 10/1/2023 at 9:31 AM, LindaS272 said:

If you’re confused about what the “greenhouse” is, it’s Fridheimar, the tomato greenhouse restaurant near the Golden Circle. Not to be missed for lunch!

With the very sweet, friendly European Bumblebees which are kept for pollination.  The a very small, docile and completely harmless.  They don't make honey

• Like 1

On 10/2/2023 at 12:30 AM, Hobson1754 said:

We recently did The Golden Circle tour with Gray Line and it was one of the best tours we’ve had.  Our tour guide was excellent & gave lots of interesting information & facts about all the stops and Iceland overall. He was also very entertaining/humorous. Gullfoss was beautiful & was our favourite stop, although all of the scenery was spectacular. It helped that the weather was bright & sunny if not cold.  We did this tour the day we joined the ship having travelled to Reykjavik the day before, following the tour they took us back to our hotel to pick up our luggage, we got a taxi & joined the ship by 4.30.  Well worth it & more than half the price of Viking although lunch was not included with Gray Line.

We did this excursion with Gray Line also on the ship departure day.  The bus picked us and our luggage up at a bus stop near our hotel, and dropped us off at the ship in the port.  Saved time and taxi fare.

To help with decision making we took a taxi from the ship to central downtown Reykjavik (3 weeks ago), same block as a gray line office, and it was $33 (US). This was at around 9:00 am. 

Edited by rmalbers
  • Like 1