Drink cards for extended cruise

Tante1231

We are going on an extended cruise - the drink packages are way too expensive - we like a glass of wine at dinner, and on sea days may spend some time up at the Crow's Nest Bar.  However I noticed that HAL has drinking cards that we can buy up to a maximum of $250.   Do they work like a debit card? Can I use them for alcohol, wine, specialty coffees and soda (i.e, 7up, Sprint)?    Can we purchase additional cards on board?  If I buy before we board, will they be left in our cabin upon our arrival?   I did a search first before posting and it came up with nothing hence I'm asking here.  Many thanks for any information you can provide. 

Edited by Tante1231
Additional text

The beverage cards work like a pre-loaded credit card. Every time you purchase any non-included beverage, that amount (including the 18% service charge) is deducted from the balance. They can be used for any beverage - unless you purchase the non-alcoholic one. When I have purchased or been given them, they were in our stateroom upon boarding. You can pre-purchase multiple cards of any denomination. I have not tried to purchase any onboard, but someone reported they were not available on their cruise. It may vary depending upon whom you ask.

If you need a price list to help estimate how many cards to purchase, see the lists at  https://rogerjett-photography.com/

I have used the Drink Cards extensively over the years, and have found them to be quite convenient. I have used them for cocktails, hot chocolate, soda, and may have used them for wine (I don't drink enough wine to remember if I ever used one for that). 

I never pre-purchased, and always bought them on board with my first drink. I purchase more as needed during the cruise, and have always managed to have a little less than the price of my last cocktail on the card that last evening. In that case, the balance on the card is used, plus my cabin card for the excess charge. 

Although there is no discount that comes with the card, I find it so much easier to proof out my account at the end of the cruise when there is only the one or two charges for a drink card, rather than a separate charge every single drink.