Checked-in luggage: lock or not ?

FannyLiz

I’d not thought of the insurance aspect. I assumed that luggage was Xrayed before boarding and, if anything suspicious was found, it would be easier for them to have access rather than calling me. Not that I intend to bring anything suspicious.

Yes, it is my first cruise, apart from dozens of ferry trips with our motorhome in various parts of the world some of which called themselves “ cruises” as they took several days. First holiday with a suitcase too since goodness knows when !

15 minutes ago, FannyLiz said:

I’d not thought of the insurance aspect. I assumed that luggage was Xrayed before boarding and, if anything suspicious was found, it would be easier for them to have access rather than calling me. Not that I intend to bring anything suspicious.

Yes, it is my first cruise, apart from dozens of ferry trips with our motorhome in various parts of the world some of which called themselves “ cruises” as they took several days. First holiday with a suitcase too since goodness knows when !

From my experience of several cruise lines, if anything suspicious shows up when the suitcases are scanned you get called to the "naughty room" and you open the suitcase in the presence of the security staff. Only in the most extreme circumstances would anyone open your suitcases without you there.

Edited by FangedRose
  • Like 2

I was called to the naughty room in the bowels of the ship on a Celebrity cruise - I had a travel iron 😳! In my defence - we were going on a land tour after the cruise. It was confiscated and I collected it at the gangway at the end of the cruise.

Fannny-Liz - We use travel padlocks marked TSA which can be opened by security in the USA - yes, that’s happened to me as well! They leave a nice little note inside your case to say they’ve had a look!

You’ll have a great time,

Edited by Lady Meer
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lady Meer said:

You’ll have a great time,

Thank you so much. I’m so looking forward to it but won’t believe it’s actually happening until I am safely aboard and the ship has sailed !

• Like 2
  • Haha 1