Travel Insurance help please šŸ™

devonuk

My mother who is in her mid 80ā€™s with a number of health issues has booked to travel with my wife and I, but in her own cabin, when cruising to the Med on the Sky Princess next March. Could you please share with me any recommendations for Travel Insurance Companies sympathetic to the elderly etc. and of course any other tips.

Thank you. Ā 

Edited by devonuk
Error

17 minutes ago, devonuk said:

My mother who is in her mid 80ā€™s with a number of health issues has booked to travel with my wife and I, but in her own cabin, when cruising to the Med on the Sky Princess next March. Could you please share with me any recommendations for Travel Insurance Companies sympathetic to the elderly etc. and of course any other tips.

Thank you. Ā 

Check out AllClear Travel Insurance for good cover on existing medical conditions. Make sure she has cruise cover included. Heard Staysure mentioned too if you want to compare quotes.

• Thanks 1

It is virtually impossible to compare one person's experience of travel insurance policy with that of another person as there are so many variable. All you can really do is look at the comparison sites and get quotes.

Ā 

We have been with LV= for the last few years as their cover for us with pre existing medical conditions was way cheaper than anyone else (in some cases less than a third!) and when I had to make a claim earlier this year I did the claim online and 10 days later the money was in my bank.

• Thanks 1

AllClear have covered me after recent cancer surgery and my husband with a number of stable pre-existing conditions. Ā I will not use Safeguard again after they took 4 months to settle a straightforward cancellation due to Covid and communication with the claims company was horrendous.

Ā 

Catherine

• Thanks 1

Find out all you can from people who actually used the insurance. Ā Lots of companies can quote you an affordable premium. The measure of good insurance is how well they manage claims. Ā This applies to all insurance: homeowners, auto, health, etc. Ā I had to learn that the hard way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, BamaVol said:

Find out all you can from people who actually used the insurance. Ā Lots of companies can quote you an affordable premium. The measure of good insurance is how well they manage claims. Ā This applies to all insurance: homeowners, auto, health, etc. Ā I had to learn that the hard way.

This is the sort of info I need šŸ‘

• 3 weeks later...

Used Squaremouth to find a policy. Bought an annual policy in January, because we had 2 cruises scheduled for 2023. On our first trip, my husband got sick in Paris on our pre cruise and was admitted to the hospital from the Emergency Room. 11 days later we flew home via a chartered air ambulance. Just today, after almost 5 months, we received checks covering 100% of air ambulance, entire amount.of cruise we missed AND the $250 deductible we paid for the hospital to United Healthcare for the hospital, which they coveted because it was an emergency. Well over $100,000.

2 hours ago, sabreline said:

Used Squaremouth to find a policy. Bought an annual policy in January, because we had 2 cruises scheduled for 2023. On our first trip, my husband got sick in Paris on our pre cruise and was admitted to the hospital from the Emergency Room. 11 days later we flew home via a chartered air ambulance. Just today, after almost 5 months, we received checks covering 100% of air ambulance, entire amount.of cruise we missed AND the $250 deductible we paid for the hospital to United Healthcare for the hospital, which they coveted because it was an emergency. Well over $100,000.

OP is from the UK. Completely different rules and regulations. I don't think Medicare or UHC information will be much help to the OP.