If flying through Brazil airport a Visa required?

GICNJC

I am a Canadian have been checking for visa requirements for our mid January trip.  While none is required for Argentina, if a plane lands in Brazil, their rules require disembarkation of all passengers, and even if they all reboard, there is a need for visa.  Canadians, Americans, and individuals from Australia and Japan can obtain e-visa.

While we have a direct flight from Toronto to Buenos Aires it lands in Sao Paulo, Brazil for a refueling and are required to get off the plane, go through customs and reboard after the plane is fueled,

Only my research on you tube and goverment sites has shown this to be true.  My experience in other international flights has never run into this.

My question to you my fellow travelers, is this your understanding if you have only had a plane stop in Brazil is this your experience.

Sorry, we flew making a connection in Dallas then non-stop to Buenos Aires so have no personal experience.

You might try cross posting to the South American ports board as a general question. And/or the cruise air board here on CC. There are some very knowledgeable posters there but they can be a tough crowd if your are not specific / clear on your details, or worse question a reply. They will very likely have the answer.

I am curious how you learned that you have this stop for refuelling and have to leave a secure area. Painful. 

Oh, curious I looked at Canada get advisories and it reads "Tourist visa: not required for stays of up to 90 days"

And this visa facilitator and it shows no visa required for in-transit or <90 day stay tourist visa.

https://www.visahq.ca/brazil/

17 hours ago, YoHoHo said:

Sorry, we flew making a connection in Dallas then non-stop to Buenos Aires so have no personal experience.

You might try cross posting to the South American ports board as a general question. And/or the cruise air board here on CC. There are some very knowledgeable posters there but they can be a tough crowd if your are not specific / clear on your details, or worse question a reply. They will very likely have the answer.

I am curious how you learned that you have this stop for refuelling and have to leave a secure area. Painful. 

Oh, curious I looked at Canada get advisories and it reads "Tourist visa: not required for stays of up to 90 days"

And this visa facilitator and it shows no visa required for in-transit or <90 day stay tl

There are new rules effective October 1st for the nationalities I listed.

Deplaning I picked up from oneYoutube blogger.  Also lots of blogs on new rules on Youtube.

I do not know if you have to leave a secure area, but the blogger said we have to deplaine while it is being refueled and because we touch Brazil you have to be processed by customs.

1 hour ago, GICNJC said:

There are new rules effective October 1st for the nationalities I listed.

Deplaning I picked up from oneYoutube blogger.  Also lots of blogs on new rules on Youtube.

I do not know if you have to leave a secure area, but the blogger said we have to deplaine while it is being refueled and because we touch Brazil you have to be processed by customs.

Is the October 1 still in effect?

https://taxnews.ey.com/news/2023-1460-brazils-visa-requirement-for-nationals-of-australia-canada-and-the-united-states-postponed-to-january-2024#:~:text=Effective 10 January 2024%2C Australian,effect on 1 October 2023.

Maybe the above is why the CDN Gvt travel advisory site and the visahq site I cited above show as not required. I don't know. Tough when there is conflicting info. Perhaps ask your source to confirm the October 1 date. I'd check with the Brazilian consulate. Hopefully their site is be up-to-date and they are reachable by email.

These posts are hopeful but best to confirm:

https://www.ivisa.com/brazil/blog/brazil-visa-requirements-for-canadians#:~:text=Canadian citizens only need a,land or via another airport).

Do I need the Brazil eVisa to transit in the country?

Canadian citizens only need a Brazil Visa if they booked separate flights and are transiting at a Brazilian airport, or they'll transit through the territory of Brazil on their way to another destination (over land or via another airport).

Those with a connecting flight booked on a single reservation and not leaving the airport transit area to connect don't need a transit visa.

https://visaguide.world/south-america/brazil-visa/ 

Brazil Transit Visa

You need a Brazil transit visa if you will change planes in a Brazil airport, or you will transit through the territory of Brazil on your way to another destination.

If you have a connecting flight in a Brazil airport that’s booked on the same plane ticket, you do not need a transit visa. This does not apply for the following airports Curitiba (CWB), Florianopolis (FLN), Porto Alegre (POA), Porto Seguro (BPS), and Salvador (SSA).

You also do not need a transit visa if you don’t intend to leave the international area of the airport or clear immigration

Edited by ShopperfiendTO

1 hour ago, GICNJC said:

Thanks for your comments.and information.   We travel south on Jan 9 and return jan 26.

I guess we will get the visa to mKe sure we are allowed on the plane in Toronto.

Ah, you are making that stopover on/after Jan 10. For comfort I'd likely get one too in that case. Have a great  trip, we enjoyed our brief stay in BA.

Flying south on Jan 9 arrive on 10 in BA.  We chose early as AC90 direct flight is every 2 days.  Could have gone on 11th, however in the freeze of the winter, chose early incase of snow storm that causes a cancelled flight.

Return on 26th on AC91.

Also allows us to truely discover BA.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

our e-visas have arrived.  Many individuals have indicated that they don't believe they are necessary if you stay in the international area of the airport.  Will update you after we arrive in Buneos Aires on January 10th if they were requested at boarding in Toronto; landing & departure from Brazil.

• 2 weeks later...

Learned yesterday that the Brazilian Government has moved the e-vias requirement back to April 2024.   What a waste, other than they are good for 5 years.

• Thanks 1

I know it's too late for GICNJC, but for others reading this thread, here's the official answer from the Brazilian government. I found this by using the Air Canada Sherpa tool. 

Tourism and Transit (VIVIS) — Ministério das Relações Exteriores (www.gov.br)

• Transit in national territory: a VIVIS will not be required in case of a stopover or flight connection in Brazil, as long as the visitor does not leave the international transit zone and holds a single ticket (under a single booking reference, stating both the origin and the final destination, regardless of multiple stops or multiple carriers). If the traveller does not benefit from visa waiver and holds separate tickets, having to go through border / passport control when disembarking, s/he must obtain a VIVIS.

Not what I was told by the embasy when I inquired, but interesting in reading your comment.

That said god forbid if your plane has a problem and you have to sit in the unserviced space awaiting a new plane or crew who had timed out.

• 3 weeks later...

We were forced to get off the plane with all our carry on luggage.  Did not pass through customs, but was redirected to another security check point, and then reboarded the plane.

I suspect the individual at the embassy that I spoke to did not have the correct information.

In addition, Brazil has pushed their e-visa requirement back to April 2024,

• 5 weeks later...

Does anyone have any new information on this? In April We will be flying from Buenos Aires to Dallas with a change of plane in Sao Paulo. It is booked on one ticket through American Airlines but the flight from Buenos Aires to Sao Paulo is on GOL. And the flight from São Paulo to Dallas is on American Airlines. 
Do we need a visa or are we ok without one?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2024 at 10:38 AM, BH_cruiser said:

Does anyone have any new information on this? In April We will be flying from Buenos Aires to Dallas with a change of plane in Sao Paulo. It is booked on one ticket through American Airlines but the flight from Buenos Aires to Sao Paulo is on GOL. And the flight from São Paulo to Dallas is on American Airlines. 

I just did this on Air Canada, and they made us go through security in Brazil but not immigration. So no visa was required.

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2024 at 1:18 AM, Spudd said:

I just did this on Air Canada, and they made us go through security in Brazil but not immigration. So no visa was required.

Hi, very helpful response. Nigerian here so worried about immigration checks. Will need to change from T3 to T2 and recheck luggage but have all flights on single ticket/reservation. Did you also have to recheck luggage or had only carry-on?

On 2/24/2024 at 3:38 PM, BH_cruiser said:

Did you also have to recheck luggage or had only carry-on?

1 hour ago, duke92visk said:

Hi, very helpful response. Nigerian here so worried about immigration checks. Will need to change from T3 to T2 and recheck luggage but have all flights on single ticket/reservation. Did you also have to recheck luggage or had only carry-on?

Did you also have to recheck luggage or had only carry-on?

We did not change terminals so I'm not sure if my answer is helpful but we did not have to retrieve and recheck luggage. It just stayed on the plane which we reboarded.