I returned only with the photos on the card, not the cloud

knittinggirl

I got home, and the only copies of my memory card. We were on a ship, and I used premium WiFi to upload to iCloud.  I heard later that we can't upload from ICloud into Lightroom

The ship’s wifi didn’t play Netflix or Hulu either, Amazon Prime is O.K.

Scott Kelby mentioned the Hotel Wifi not ship wifi.

Could that be the problem? The ship’s wifi didn’t play Netflix or Hulu either, Amazon Prime is O.K.

Mr. Kelby mentioned the Hotel Wifi.

Suggestions for travelling SSD with a card slot?   Mine turned into a paperweight.

I didn't do much during the pandemic.

We were on HAL's Noordam when this happened.

I'm not sure this happened on the Radiance of the Seas.

Thanks for your help.

Did you have an internet package or just the ship's wifi? If you only had the within-the-ship wifi, your cloud uploads wouldn't have worked. But you should have seen an error message when you tried to upload. Unless you were counting on them to upload automatically. But even there should be a message when you open the Photos app (something like "Unable to backup")

Since most of my photos are 30 Megs, I can't imagine taking the time to upload to cloud storage from onboard a cruise ship.

Daily, I download from the camera to the laptop, then back-up to a portable external solid state hard-drive. Once I get home, I upload to home external drive and then to Lightroom Cloud, using our fast home connection. What would take hours on the ship, if possible, takes minutes at home.

I may have finally found out the issue.    I had HAL's Premium Wifi Package.    

I had bought a cheap knock - C USB to SD Card adapter, and it seemed to work, but slowly.  After getting home, I learned that the only things actually had on the iCloud were the images I took with the ipad itself.  None of them on my ipad or apple cloud came from the camera.

My first order was for an apple brand C-Usb to SD card adapter.   

We have so much medicine these days, no room for a laptop.   This latest trip, it seemed we used most of our own stuff, and a lot from the ship's doctor too, a first for us.  My ipad will fit in the front pocket of my carry-on wheelie.

On 10/11/2023 at 10:52 AM, knittinggirl said:

I learned that the only things actually had on the iCloud were the images I took with the ipad itself.  None of them on my ipad or apple cloud came from the camera.

I'm not familiar with Apple, but on android, you can choose which folders to back up to cloud storage in both Google Photos and OneDrive. Look in settings for iCloud and see if Apple does this as well. Another method is to go to the folder on the iPad where you transferred the camera images to and see if you can Select All>Upload.

Dave

Did you think you backed up your photos, and then re-used the memory card? I'm not sure from your original post.  Memory cards are very cheap now, and are good for primary storage during a trip. I take one for every 1-2 days of my trip, remove from the camera, back up the photos in a variety of ways (depending on whether I take my laptop), and then pop a fresh card in the camera. Then if by chance a memory card has a problem, I've only lost a day's worth of photos. When we travel back home, my husband carries one copy, I carry the other.