Catholic Mass on HAL Ships Still?

2disneydads

3 minutes ago, cruisetravlr said:

Daily Mass lasts about 25-30 minutes. Sunday Mass will be about 45-50 minutes.

Depends on the Priest.  Three weeks ago Sunday was a full hour and a holy day Mass was about the same.  Normally if Mass starts at 5 PM, the Priest tries to be done by 5:30 or 5:45, the dinner time for fixed.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Crew News said:

My February Eurodam roll call just added Father Weselka (well-traveled HAL chaplain), moving to Nieuw Amsterdam in March, and then joining the Noordam in May for Alaska.

You'll be very lucky to have him aboard. We had him on the Voyage of the Vikings in 2018. Hopefully he'll do his sermon that uses balloons which is very good.

• Like 1

Almost all the cruises I have been on had a priest on board. Most will try for the 30-45 minute range for Sunday.  It also depends on how full it is.  The last night I was on, the room was so full that part of the communion line had to be in the hallway.  Only once, it lasted an hour, but the priest added the songs, like what you see on land.  Wasn't too good for those with fixed MDR/speciality restaurant reservations.

If a priest is unavailable, they will still have a service, but led by the congregation.  It happened on one cruise where the priest got sick.  It's just the early parts, but no communion. 

Edited by saturn93

2 hours ago, saturn93 said:

If a priest is unavailable, they will still have a service, but led by the congregation. 

Sometimes, if the priest can't make it aboard at the last minute, or there is another interruption in his availability, a priest traveling as a private passenger will step forward and fill the duty. 

I have had that happen on a couple of cruises over the years.