"Waitlist open" - excursions...

trin880

I joined a waitlist for a sold out excursion in Limon, Costa Rica, but have no experience with a waitlist. Could someone comment about when would I know if the spot becomes available and how soon? How long should I wait before booking a different, but open excursion. 

In my experience, I was on a waitlist for a sold out excursion for about a month when I received an email that a spot had opened up.  I had a couple days to commit to it or lose it.  But no one can predict if or when any spots will open up on the particular excursion you want.  It depends on if and when and how many people cancel, as well as how many people are ahead of you on the wait list.  Or perhaps if there are enough people on the wait list, Princess will add another bus.  

Personally, I would book my second choice now and cancel it if my first choice becomes available.  

• Thanks 1

I can't speak to this itinerary, but FWIW, we were on a wait list for an excursion on our recent California Coastal trip for about a month. Never received any confirmation that we had "graduated" to actually make the trip.  When we boarded the ship, one of the first stops we made on Embarkation Day was to the Shore Excursions Desk. Miraculously, there were open spots on the very trip we were on a waitlist for and we booked it on the spot. So even if you don't get word that you are off the waitlist, try the Shorex desk as soon as you board, you might get lucky like we did.  I suspect that shore excursions are like specialty restaurant spots, not all are made available for pre-booking and some are held back for on-ship sale

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

I can't speak to this itinerary, but FWIW, we were on a wait list for an excursion on our recent California Coastal trip for about a month. Never received any confirmation that we had "graduated" to actually make the trip.  When we boarded the ship, one of the first stops we made on Embarkation Day was to the Shore Excursions Desk. Miraculously, there were open spots on the very trip we were on a waitlist for and we booked it on the spot. So even if you don't get word that you are off the waitlist, try the Shorex desk as soon as you board, you might get lucky like we did.  I suspect that shore excursions are like specialty restaurant spots, not all are made available for pre-booking and some are held back for on-ship sale

Thank you, this was my other question, since I've read somewhere that specific number of excursion spots could be available to book on board too. We have some OBC that we would be glad to spend on excursions.

11 hours ago, trin880 said:

Thank you, this was my other question, since I've read somewhere that specific number of excursion spots could be available to book on board too. We have some OBC that we would be glad to spend on excursions.

That's exactly what we did when we booked. Had tons of OBC and it was used to pay for the excursion. Best of luck, hope you can get the trip you want.

• Thanks 1

Had 2 excursions we were on waitlist for this cruise we are on. We found out 2 days before 1 and the other I found out by seeing a charge on our folio. Got the notice from excursion desk when tickets showed up the night before.

• Thanks 1

While on a ship, my sister went to the Excursion desk ask about an excursion that was sold out.  She was put on a waitlist.  The day before the excursion, she was notified she had a ticket.

Check at the Excursion desk, as people can cancel up to 24 hrs before the excursion.

• Thanks 1

I joined a waitlist for our #1 choice in Panama for my family and also chose and paid for our #2 choice that was open at the same time.  Pretty soon after the cruise final payment date, I received an email that we had cleared the waitlist and had 24 hours to pay for the #1 choice excursion.  I went into our accounts (two cabins) and we had been dropped from the 2nd choice and just owed the difference between the two.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yehootu said:

Had 2 excursions we were on waitlist for this cruise we are on. We found out 2 days before 1 and the other I found out by seeing a charge on our folio. Got the notice from excursion desk when tickets showed up the night before.

Do you mean you went directly from the wait list to a confirmed spot that was charged to your account, without you specifically authorizing that charge?   I ask because that wasn't how it worked for me, as I had to log in and specifically choose to commit.  If people are now automatically moved from the wait list to being booked and charged, that makes my suggestion to the OP to book a second choice to be canceled if his first choice opens up a bad idea.   

My situation was before sailing, so maybe that's the difference.   Or maybe you pre-authorized being charged if a spot opened up?   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kerry's Girls said:

I joined a waitlist for our #1 choice in Panama for my family and also chose and paid for our #2 choice that was open at the same time.  Pretty soon after the cruise final payment date, I received an email that we had cleared the waitlist and had 24 hours to pay for the #1 choice excursion.  I went into our accounts (two cabins) and we had been dropped from the 2nd choice and just owed the difference between the two.  

Thanks.   That's good to know.   So the lesson is don't get on a waiting list unless you are ready to commit - which makes sense.   And it's convenient that you didn't have to cancel the 2nd choice and wait for a refund.   

By the way, it's great that Princess has waiting lists for excursions.  I wish all the major lines did.   

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kerry's Girls said:

Thank you for sharing your experience. My second choice is more expensive option of the first one, almost twice, with more time spent at a location. Tempting actually, but ouch $$$..

16 hours ago, Joanne G. said:

Do you mean you went directly from the wait list to a confirmed spot that was charged to your account, without you specifically authorizing that charge?   I ask because that wasn't how it worked for me, as I had to log in and specifically choose to commit.  If people are now automatically moved from the wait list to being booked and charged, that makes my suggestion to the OP to book a second choice to be canceled if his first choice opens up a bad idea.   

My situation was before sailing, so maybe that's the difference.   Or maybe you pre-authorized being charged if a spot opened up?   

Yes we were moved from waitlist to confirmed but it was when already onboard.