Pickleball courts

Wayfairers

Currently on the Zuiderdam.  Beautiful ship.  Amazing food.   Disappointed because the sport court is very small and this is a long cruise.  I would think the area used for the retreat could be converted to be more sport court area.  There is a high demand for pickleball for instance with only one full court available resulting in extremely long lines to play.   I know some people like to use the retreat but I’ve never seen anyone using the retreat even though I’ve walked by several times.  I know people on the ship that have purchased it but it seems that space would be better utilized to satisfy the demands of the majority of the passengers.  Especially knowing some cruise lines have multiple pickleball courts and it is extremely popular.

How many pickleball courts are on other HAL ships?

The retreat cabanas bring in $399 per week and the corner family cababas bring in more. I suppose a steep hourly pickleball court usage fee would make up for the revenue loss. Do you think that the pickleball courts could generate $8,000 in fees per day? (The cabanas typically sell out. I used 20 cabanas x $400 x 7.  The real # is higher because I left off the family cabanas, drink revenue, massage revenue, etc.)

You would probably need to charge a premium because the cabanas generate revenue whether you are in port or not.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, POA1 said:

The retreat cabanas bring in $399 per week and the corner family cababas bring in more. I suppose a steep hourly pickleball court usage fee would make up for the revenue loss. Do you think that the pickleball courts could generate $8,000 in fees per day? (The cabanas typically sell out. I used 20 cabanas x $400 x 7.  The real # is higher because I left off the family cabanas, drink revenue, massage revenue, etc.)

You would probably need to charge a premium because the cabanas generate revenue whether you are in port or not.

And because of that potential revenue I suspect HAL would have a tough time getting rid of the retreat.  

I’ve seen it used almost continuously on short cruises (7-14 days). I’ve never seen it used on the 73 day cruise I’m currently on and we today is day 6 of 7 sea days - we boarded last Tuesday.    Not that I watch it continuously but I’ve walked by several times and it is empty then I walk past the Pickleball/basketball courts and they are being used most of the daylight hours with a line many times.   

• Like 1