Waitomo glow worm caves

We are ending our cruise in Auckland and will be spending one night before flying back to the states and are considering the Glow worm caves at Waitomo.  What would be, in your opinion, the best way to do this?  

There are a couple of ways to see the glow worms. One is a nice little boatride and for the more adventurous there is Black Water rafting.

I have done both and the rafting is way better, however, it is dependent, to a degree, on a reasonable level of fitness. Not recommended for anyone with mobility issues. I have done the rafting twice now, the last time was in 2020 at age 72 and my BF was 70. It was really a relaxing ride floating through the caves staring up at the glow worms.

We did it as part of a self drive tour prior to boarding Maasdam in Auckland.

https://www.waitomo.com/black-water-rafting/legendary-black-water-rafting-co-black-labyrinth

Edited by lyndarra
wrong ship. Not Zaandam

If, by hired car, you mean renting a car and driving ourselves, I think I could manage, despite the fact that we drive on the opposite side of road.  Do you know if there are car rental offices close to the cruise ports? And would I be able to drop the car off at the airport?