Passport safety

JohnGc

Just had to renew my passport and will be taking my first o/s cruise apart from N/Z and would like to know what you seasoned cruisers do under the following circumstances. Do you trust and leave your passports in the cabin safe when going ashore and just take a copy ? When travelling to your cruise keep them in your carry on bag or on your person ? Keep photos of them on your phone ?  If requested at a hotel or other establishments to view your passport just use a copy ?  All information would be appreciated. As stated your passport is your most valuable item and I just want to do all that is possible to save any hassles.

Thanks John.

When travelling we usually carry our passports in our handbag/carry on case. If we feel it is an unsafe place, the passports are carried under our clothing in a security wallet. When we are on cruise ships we are totally comfortable leaving passports and cash in the safe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You are safe leaving your passport in your room safe. Everything on board is filmed and the cruise ship know exactly who went in your room and at what time.

Depending on your cruise ports, the ship may require you to surrender your passport and give you a receipt or photo copy so that on board customs officers can stamp your passport, other times you may need to line up and get it stamped. Some countries require you to carry your passport with you, others just your sail card/medallion or photo ID

I always take a photo of my passport and email it to myself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, leave it on board in the cabin safe. Even in countries where you are required to keep your passport with you, depending on how stroppy I think the country is, I would only take a copy on shore with me, together with my actual photo ID driver's licence (ie, Barcelona). It's just too much hassle if your bag with passport were to be pinched. Otherwise I'd carry it securely with me in an under-clothes travel pouch, or in a discrete zipped pocket on cargo-type shorts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wherever you store your passport, ALWAYS take the 10 seconds to put it back in its safe storage place, no matter how rushed you are. It's such a terrible feeling going to that zipped pocket or wherever, only to find that your passpots not there.

Hotels require original passport, not copy for checkin.

• Thanks 1