Is wearing sandals in Muslim Countries allowed?

BVILady

I will be on a World Cruise and be visiting several Muslim Countries with warm climate. I have these very comfortable sandals which I love to wear instead of sneakers when it is warm.

12-16132-01_008_hero_300x300.jpg?v=1652461434

would I be able to wear them in Muslim countries. There will be quite a lot of them on the cruise. Even if I have to wear them with socks, anything will be better then sneakers.Any experts out there who can advise me? Thanks

Men definitely can do so, most locals wear flip-flops and other open shoes. But, honestly, I have never travelled as woman in a Muslim country. Another thought: when entering a mosque it is compulsory to leave the shoes at the entrance. From this I think showing toes can’t be too problematic.

3 hours ago, At7Seas said:

Men definitely can do so, most locals wear flip-flops and other open shoes. But, honestly, I have never travelled as woman in a Muslim country. Another thought: when entering a mosque it is compulsory to leave the shoes at the entrance. From this I think showing toes can’t be too problematic.

Yes, traveling as a woman in Muslim countries is not fun. When you need to take off your shoes you always need to wear socks. So I am really wondering whether as women we will be allowed to show toes, even if they are covered with socks. Need to do some more research on that.

11 hours ago, BVILady said:

When you need to take off your shoes you always need to wear socks.

Well, I wouldn’t sign for that! Yes, socks are definitely allowed, but no obligation. The only time ever I was told to keep socks on was in an Indian temple dedicated to a local deity. As far as we are talking about religious places I accept the different rules. Also here in Europe I cover my head when I enter a synagogue and do exactly the opposite on the doorstep of a church. When you leave the cruise in Venice you won’t be able to visit St Mark Basilica if you wear a sleeveless top or shorts. Among the four Muslim countries we will visit on our cruise Oman is the most traditional country. The last time I had been to Salalah I visited during an excursion the tomb of Job, which is today a Muslim shrine where all rules of religious places are applicable and checked at the entrance. I put here the upper edge of a picture showing feet of other visitors:

image.thumb.png.9ae71a146a366a004f9a5e54f6b898e6.png

As you can see yourself bare feet as well as socks, but no knees and no shoes. Of course here we talk about visiting of religious sites and I used the example to say that where rules are very strict there no generally forbidden things will happen. None of these countries we’ll visit forces women to wear headscarves in the street or allows you to leave house (or ship) only accompanied by your husband, father, or a brother. Quite different from the Arab countries is Malaysia, especially the parts we will visit. Although Islam is the state religion the population is very mixed in Kuala Lumpur and Georgetown and people are very much used to different cultures.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us, only sky
Imagine all the people
Livin' for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion, too
Imagine all the people
Livin' life in peace
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:
Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us, only sky
Imagine all the people
Livin' for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion, too
Imagine all the people
Livin' life in peace

wouldn't that be the perfect world. 

On 10/22/2023 at 8:11 AM, BVILady said:

I will be on a World Cruise and be visiting several Muslim Countries with warm climate. I have these very comfortable sandals which I love to wear instead of sneakers when it is warm.

12-16132-01_008_hero_300x300.jpg?v=1652461434

would I be able to wear them in Muslim countries. There will be quite a lot of them on the cruise. Even if I have to wear them with socks, anything will be better then sneakers.Any experts out there who can advise me? Thanks

Call them Jesus shoes and dare anyone to tell you that you can't wear them.  Back in the 70s we called our Birkenstocks Jesus shoes.

• Haha 1