Enchanted Princess-Lavazza Coffee yet??

GweninTX

7 hours ago, GweninTX said:

I know it is available on other ships just wondering about the Enchanted specifically 

I was looking for the post I thought I had read about the Enchanted but couldn't find it. 

I will confess to being a coffee addict and coffee snob.  Yes, I really enjoy a good (and very strong/flavorful) cut of coffee, espresso, cappucino, etc.  Like most coffee addicts, I have my share of "devices" at home including a high-end Superautomatic (Swiss Made) expresso machine  In that machine I only use Lavazza or Illy beans because they are simply the best and are roasted in a way that will not gum-up machines.  

I mention all this because we are only mildly impressed when a cruise line uses decent name-brand beans (such as Illy or Lavazza).  Why?  The type of bean is only one part of the equation that makes a decent cup.  What is even more important is what they do with those beans and how they are turned into a drinkable beverage.  So, dumping Lavazza grounds (or beans) into a huge bulk drip machine is not going to yield a great result.  One attraction of the IC is that they have traditionally made "small batch" coffee which should yield better results as long as they use enough coffee in the device.  I have yet to be on a Princess ship that had decent coffee in the Lido...that comes from the large coffee vats.

Hank

On 10/29/2023 at 10:08 AM, Hlitner said:

I will confess to being a coffee addict and coffee snob.  Yes, I really enjoy a good (and very strong/flavorful) cut of coffee, espresso, cappucino, etc.  Like most coffee addicts, I have my share of "devices" at home including a high-end Superautomatic (Swiss Made) expresso machine  In that machine I only use Lavazza or Illy beans because they are simply the best and are roasted in a way that will not gum-up machines.  

I mention all this because we are only mildly impressed when a cruise line uses decent name-brand beans (such as Illy or Lavazza).  Why?  The type of bean is only one part of the equation that makes a decent cup.  What is even more important is what they do with those beans and how they are turned into a drinkable beverage.  So, dumping Lavazza grounds (or beans) into a huge bulk drip machine is not going to yield a great result.  One attraction of the IC is that they have traditionally made "small batch" coffee which should yield better results as long as they use enough coffee in the device.  I have yet to be on a Princess ship that had decent coffee in the Lido...that comes from the large coffee vats.

Hank

But dumping ground Lavazza coffee into a giant urn and brewing it fresh would be a 1000% better cup of coffee than the syrup swill they are currently using!!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, GweninTX said:

But dumping ground Lavazza coffee into a giant urn and brewing it fresh would be a 1000% better cup of coffee than the syrup swill they are currently using!!

You got that right :).  I thought Princess got rid of all those syrup urns (in the Lido) a few years ago.  Our most recent Princess cruises have all been on the Royal Class and I do not recall the syrup urns on those vessels.  We cruise on many different lines including some of the small ship luxury lines.  Most of them do not have particularly good coffee in their buffets or MDRs.  The new Explora Journey uses the best Illy coffee, but they make "Americano" for coffee (watered down expresso).  On Seabourn, the potted coffee in their Colonnade (Lido) is not very good, but they will bring custom made "French Press" coffee if requested (we always do this at breakfast).  

We have long thought that the various coffees at the International Cafe were among the best at sea.  Not sure if this has changed in the past year, but we will know for sure when on the Sky next month.

Hank