White Pass RR Confused

slw00

Should I pre-book the White Pass RR throught the ship, or wait until the day in port to check the weather conditions first? My biggest concern is lack of visibility due to rain or fog.

If we go to the train station directly, will we miss out on getting a good seat on the left side? It adviasable to get tickets early if booking yourself at the station or just before you are ready to go?

How far is the train station from the port. Is there any point in getting an advance reservation either through the ship or directly the the railroad company?

Should I pre-book the White Pass RR throught the ship, or wait until the day in port to check the weather conditions first? My biggest concern is lack of visibility due to rain or fog.

If we go to the train station directly, will we miss out on getting a good seat on the left side? It adviasable to get tickets early if booking yourself at the station or just before you are ready to go?

How far is the train station from the port. Is there any point in getting an advance reservation either through the ship or directly the the railroad company?

We have done this trip twice. If I was doing it again, I would wait until we get to the port and check out the weather. If you walk up to the station (follow the tracks from the pier, about 10 minute walk) you can buy a ticket significantly cheaper than the price of the ship's tour. Some people say by doing this you risk the trip being sold out, however we have not seen evidence of this. If you get seated on the right side going up, no worries - the train turns around at the top and you will be on the "right" side coming down.

Hope that helps.

I have done this trip 2x also. The savings really haven't been significant for me to book independtly - maybe $10 or so.

What I would advise is to look at the internet weather 2-3 days before you get to Skagway if possible. If it looks like a good chance of rain, cancel it and then plan on booking it the day of while in town.

My first time I did this trip was my first time to Alaska - it poured that day and I have to say I didn't like the train ride all that much. Visability was pretty poor. I did do it again a 2nd time and enjoyed it much more the secon time when the weather was gorgeous.

Archived