Galveston to IAH Feb early flight

kayjay76

Hi all, please help settle a disagreement between our group lol

We disembark feb 9th, a Friday morning, Galveston from NCL and are flying out from IAH. Jetblue has moved our flight to 11:30am. I think it's cutting it way too close. And some think we can make it. For those that have sailed out of Galveston and flown from IAH, what's your experience? 

We've never been to either that airport or cruised out of Galveston before, always from Florida so we're going in blind here. Large group of 44 people, 40, 50, 60 yr olds, have cruised big groups before and will be booking a private shuttle bus prior. Thank you!!!

February is a notoriously foggy month in Galveston. Ships are often delayed getting into port. IAH is a good hour and 15 minutes from Galveston if you're speeding and with no traffic delays. Add 15 minutes to that if you're going the speed limit. If everything lines up perfectly with no problems, you'll make the flight. If there's any glitch, probably not. 

The ships come in as early as 0530 and I've seen some come in, for whatever reason, at 0830.  Yes, fog in the spring and fall can be an issue.

On weekdays, going to IAH or Hobby can be somewhat complicated by Houston rush-hour traffic.
Taking the Sam Houston Tollway (Beltway 😎 is normally traffic-free and the distance is about equal. 

It costs a few tolls but keeps you out of the inner-city Houston traffic.  I would allow 1.5 hours. to IAH

You also have to figure in, are you one of the first off the ship or one of the last.  That can be a 2-2.5 hour spread and that's if things are working well.  Customs issues have arisen several times in the last month.

You can consider also the traffic in the port area itself.  That can be a jammed-up nightmare on most cruise days.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/23/2023 at 12:22 AM, kayjay76 said:

Hi all, please help settle a disagreement between our group lol

We disembark feb 9th, a Friday morning, Galveston from NCL and are flying out from IAH. Jetblue has moved our flight to 11:30am. I think it's cutting it way too close. And some think we can make it. For those that have sailed out of Galveston and flown from IAH, what's your experience? 

We've never been to either that airport or cruised out of Galveston before, always from Florida so we're going in blind here. Large group of 44 people, 40, 50, 60 yr olds, have cruised big groups before and will be booking a private shuttle bus prior. Thank you!!!

Between the possible delays caused by fog, traffic congestion in Galveston, it's 70 miles from Galveston cruise port to IAH on freeways that also get congested, traffic congestion near and at IAH due to construction, I would not want an AM flight. Since Jet Blue changed your flight, you should be able to reschedule at no cost.